VOGONS

First post, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

So I am still working on my retro gaming PC, I have settled on most of the hardware for the build, but there are a few bits here and there that I have yet to figure out to my liking. I think to start I should list what hardware is going into this Frankenstein's monster.

Voodoo 5 5500
Pentium 3 1400-S Socket 370
Creative Labs Dxr3 DVD PCI Card
1x 5.25 Floppy
1x 3.5 Floppy
2x CD/DVD R/RW
2x WD 136 GB Drives

So that is it so far as for hardware, also the point of the two optical drives is the same, for my recording of my modded games for sake of archiving. This is not just to game on, but to mod the games so that they can run on newer OS safely and as close to native as can be, I was also planning this system to help me with modding 3dfx Glide games so as to embed the glide wrapper into the game, so regardless what GPU you use on your new machine, if you want to use the Glide API, it will be in the game, and all you have to do is turn it on.

Still the issue is the rest of the hardware, namely the motherboard, case/power-supply, Network Card/WiFi Card, and the sound setup.

As for the the sound card/s I am full of questions, I am curios on what direction to take on that, for instance should I go the sound blaster 16 + Gravis UltraSound route and if so how would I set that up, or if I was to use the Sound Blaster Live will I get the same results? There are so many audio options, but just like embedding the Glide Wrappers, I am looking to find a way to embedded the proper audio of the older games too.

At this rate this build is looking like Half Life Episode 3, total Vaporware. Please help.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 1 of 1, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your system is better suited for Win9x and Win XP gaming rather than pure dos. I suggest a different rig altogether for Dos gaming but for what you will need your choices are plentiful and dirt cheap compared to what most have been lusting after like the Gus Max ect.

If you even become very dependent on pci slots then go for a cheap AWE64 and make use of an isa slot.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.