VOGONS

Reply 701 of 1717, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in BIOS:
dissble "fullscreen logo" if you have one
disable "quick boot" (you can skip memory test with ESC)
this will show a list of irqs while booting. you can press PAUSE/break key to look at them (hit space to unpause)

If you select that you have non plug and play operating system,
irqs will be assigned by bios so you should have same ones in dos and windows.

Reply 702 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again. Didn't realise they had the full screen logo back in the 90s. I thought that was a uefi thing.

Developer of RReady - Rendition Verité Wrapper.
https://www.youtube.com/@sharangadayananda

Reply 703 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rendition boards used two int 1ah calls to detect the board and query pci registers. One of them reg 3ch is interrupt reg. Irq 10/11 are listed as "available for use". "

One of the boards Raven-05 and agent-of the-bsod tested returned 10 and the other 11.

Is it possible for the irq to change after a reboot ie dynamic allocation? I would guess that it's dynamically allocated.

Reply 704 of 1717, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you select that you have a plug and play operating system,
irqs will not be assigned by bios and only assigned by windows.
boot process will list pci devices with irq number NA (not assigned/not available i think) so i guess DOS won't use IRQs for PCI devices

Reply 706 of 1717, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that is the theory cause in practice i got one device not assigned with non pnp os selected
and 4 devices not assigned with pnp os selected
lots of devices have assigned irqs in both cases anyway (board is from 2006)

also what i said is for real dos.
i don't know what happens with all different methods of running a windows's dos 😉
(dos in a window i guess have them assigned, quit to dos may have too, reboot to dos maybe not 😉

Reply 708 of 1717, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Plug & Play O/S When set to No, BIOS configures all devices in the system. When set to Yes and if users install a Plug and Play […]
Show full quote

Plug & Play O/S
When set to No, BIOS configures all devices in the system. When set to Yes and if
users install a Plug and Play operating system, the operating system configures the
Plug and Play devices not required for boot.

took that from some random manual (board from 2010)
https://support.elmark.com.pl/advantech/pdf/som-4463man.pdf

Reply 710 of 1717, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is indeed on IRQ 10. PnP OS option in BIOS is set to Yes. IRQ 11 for me is taken up by my network card. Removing said card doesn't change anything though.

There are a few tools you can use in DOS to check IRQs besides MSD. HWiNFO and NSSI can do it. (it's a bit more intuitive to find on HWiNFO)

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 712 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks @AgentoftheBSOD. So I think it's safe to conclude PCI register 0x3c's lsb is in fact the interrupt no.

Reply 713 of 1717, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've got the RRedline version of F1 working. Required a bit of tinkering to get it to function. Apologies if this is already known but it's my first time with this.

It's definitely not happy with the Canopus drivers (small black window appears for a split second and closes). So I removed the device in device manager and installed the CD provided drivers and they worked until the game closed, which seemed to not be resetting the card and the screen was garbled (no crash or freeze). Reference drivers after that completely broke Windows (BSoD on boot) until I was able to get to desktop without them loaded. Reinstalled Canopus drivers again and then the game worked flawlessly. I found out what F1 is looking for in the System folder that official drivers don't have: Display.drv, Verite.vxd, and Winspd3d.uc. Simply copying those into that folder makes the game run fine. Guess that's what they mean by being necessary to install them. Newer versions of the other files are fine.

It definitely runs slower than the ATI patch though. Menu countdown for example is definitely longer than 20 seconds.

The F1 wrapper works fine as well. There's a popup saying it can't load all library functions from verite.dll (I assume this is expected), but works perfectly after that.

I can grab footage from this if you still need. If so, remind me what you want to see from it.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 714 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you attach your logs, they should be in the F1 folder? There're two files.

If you do a clean install of the Canopus drivers without the missing files (deleting display.drv, verite.vxd and winspd3d.uc) and use the F1 wrapper does it work?

You shouldn't get any errors from the wrapper, even from a V1000 with RRedline 2.0 drivers.

Also is there a noticeable difference in performance between running native F1 drivers and the F1 wrapper?

Reply 715 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just copying these files Display.drv, Verite.vxd, and Winspd3d.uc into system folder shouldn't work. The game looks for Redline.dll and verite.dll in the usual places. The ones supplied with RRedline 2.0/Canopus/Reference are incompatible or at least should be.

The wrapper versions should be in the Formula 1 folder and the driver supplied versions in system. The game itself does not look for those three files. I can run F1 RRedline with RReady on my Win 11 based system and it runs fine.

You have stray redline.dll and verite.dll files somewhere. Do

Dir /s redline.dll (in the root of the Windows drive) and a 
Dir /s verite.dll (once again in the root)

and see how many you find.

The issue with the game supplied drivers on exit is know. It happens to pretty much every V1000.

1)I would suggest zapping all copies of those two files except for the ones in system,
2) reinstall the canopus drivers and
3) extract the F1 wrapper files into the Formula 1 folder.

it should work without error then.

Reply 716 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the verite errors are caused by these two functions:
V_ReleaseBufferDC
V_GetBufferDC

Last edited by sharangad on 2024-03-16, 07:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 717 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@AgentoftheBSOD, Is that the Canopus Total 3D?

Could you zip up redline and verite dlls from the system folder and post a link to them so I can grab them?

Reply 718 of 1717, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only located files are in the system folder, exactly where they should be, besides the ones in my desktop folders for reference drivers and the wrapper.

The wrapper files do indeed work with those 3 files not present. Error popup still present.

It is the Total3D.

The game will not launch if the three files are missing in system folder when not using the wrapper.

Performance between default and wrapper feels identical to me.

I'll try to clean the files out and see what happens.

Reply 719 of 1717, by sharangad

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Agent of the BSoD wrote on 2024-03-16, 07:03:
The only located files are in the system folder, exactly where they should be, besides the ones in my desktop folders for refere […]
Show full quote

The only located files are in the system folder, exactly where they should be, besides the ones in my desktop folders for reference drivers and the wrapper.

The wrapper files do indeed work with those 3 files not present. Error popup still present.

It is the Total3D.

The game will not launch if the three files are missing in system folder when not using the wrapper.

Performance between default and wrapper feels identical to me.

I'll try to clean the files out and see what happens.

Zip up the drivers files and share them, somehow. I'll see what's up with it. There shouldn't be any errors.