VOGONS

Common searches

[Resolved] - Resident Evil Pc

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by John Chaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A thousand apologies for bumping this thread. May I know where you got this "neweur.exe" file cause, I've been looking for it high and low. Supposedly this file is to update RE1 to function on any Direct3D card. I once downloaded this file from Virgin's site which now has unfortunately disappeared. They only RE1 patch I see is the Voodoo patch. So if you don't mind, can you please host it so I can get it as well?

AvalonH wrote:
After tyring to get this working under VMWARE 5.5 running a win98 guest I found you don't need a 3d card to play resident evil!! […]
Show full quote

After tyring to get this working under VMWARE 5.5 running a win98 guest I found you don't need a 3d card to play resident evil!!

The readme says that you can launch resident evil
with the "/nocard1" or "/nocard2" parameter if you don't have a 3d card.
It didn't work with my Resident evil cd, but I downloaded
the patch and am happily playing resident evil by launching it with
"neweur.exe /nocard2"

You do need a fast cpu to run it w/ software render though but it helps the game from running to fast

Reply 21 of 32, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried winThrottle, latest version, and with the maximum slowdown settings, Resident Evil worked at the playable, not fast-forward speed. The game did not freeze when Barry and Jill decapitate the first zombie.

My system is an Athlon FX-55, 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM and a Geforece 7800 GTX card.

Reply 22 of 32, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
John Chaser wrote:

A thousand apologies for bumping this thread. May I know where you got this "neweur.exe" file cause, I've been looking for it high and low. Supposedly this file is to update RE1 to function on any Direct3D card. I once downloaded this file from Virgin's site which now has unfortunately disappeared. They only RE1 patch I see is the Voodoo patch. So if you don't mind, can you please host it so I can get it as well?

The lost patch:

This patch was uploaded by a user called 'English-Sheep-Shagger' from Hampshire taken off the Virgin Interactive Entertainment Europe website years ago. Now the company has shut down

It's not the now useless voodoo 2 patch (repatch.exe) for resident evil 1 that has been available on other websites like patches scrolls.

It allows the game to also run without having to change their desktop resolution to 16 bit.

Attachments

• Filename
    NEWNEW repc_eurp_v1,00c.zip
    File size
    454.28 KiB
    Downloads
    2285 downloads
    File comment
    Resident Evil patch_v1,00c
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 32, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone actually played the PowerVR version or 3DFX(Voodo) version of this game. Are the grahpics much improved.
I have read on the net that the PowerVR version has much better graphics.
The only version I have played is the direct 3D software choice.

Reply 24 of 32, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AvalonH wrote:

Has anyone actually played the PowerVR version or 3DFX(Voodo) version of this game. Are the grahpics much improved.
I have read on the net that the PowerVR version has much better graphics.
The only version I have played is the direct 3D software choice.

What do you mean by "PowerVR" and "3dfx" versions"? SGL and Glide? Because I don't think those ever existed.

Reply 25 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There IS a special PowerVR version, "uncut" at least sold in Great Britain.

And the hype you read of "better graphics" is mostly the bilinear filtering enviness of the '90s.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 32, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

There IS a special PowerVR version, "uncut" at least sold in Great Britain.

But is it powered by SGL, or just a PowerVR optimized D3D profile?

Reply 27 of 32, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just read an old review of the game from December 1997, it says on a sidenote:
"By far the best PC version of the console hit Resident Evil is the PowerVR
optimized version, delivering higher resolution and better frame rates than
the directx and 3Dfx accelerated versions. Unfortunately we were surprised that the final shipping box listed support for Matrox, 3Dfx, and Rendition-based boards--with PowerVR support strangely absent."
"According to NEC's John Smith, NEC Electronics of Japan paid for the
original PowerVR conversion, and refused to give Virgin the rights to
distribute it without receiving financial compensation in return. Virgin
refused, and the game shipped without PowerVR support. The only way PowerVR owners will get the game is via a hardware bundle. Current PowerVR owners are completely out of luck."

So the question is what does this PowerVR version use, an optimized direct3d or SGL.
Also earlier on this thread there is a also a patch posted for the 3DFX vodoo So does the game also use Glide if set up instead of direct3d?

Reply 28 of 32, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tested the game with various old cards I have.
The PowerVR version does use PowerSGL not D3D.
The normal uncut version supports Rendition Redline and D3D
I can't get GLIDE support on any version. It;s seems if you have a voodoo card it just uses D3D even with the Voodoo patch.
The PowerVR version does look much better than the D3D version (both the software and hardware D3D versions.
Ranking the versions on graphics quality
1. PowerVR (has nice smoke effects also)
2. Rendition
3. D3Dhardware version
4. D3D software version (very poor)

Reply 29 of 32, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AvalonH wrote:

I just tested the game with various old cards I have.
The PowerVR version does use PowerSGL not D3D.

Could you please attach the PowerVR SGL binaries? I have both USA and UK retail releases, but neither version includes those files.

Reply 30 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seconding the binaries. I only have the vanilla version that does D3D and D3D Ramp Emulation (software)

AFAIK the PowerVR edition is a UK exclusive, and it's "uncut" for the colored intro.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 32 of 32, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sorry to revive this old thread but this can be useful, I'd like to notice that the best solution for the well known resident evil speed problems is to install a free utility called bandicam, and limit the framerate to 30fps. here you go, game fixed. No need to limit your cpu or other fancy workarounds (like custom dlls)

edit: resident evil is available in censored and uncensored versions. first american version, the german, the asian and the japanese one are the ones to go if you want full violence and gore.