Howdy. Ok, system specs first:

XP Pro
Service Pack 2
Celeron 2.40Ghz
512Mb RAM
128 Video card memory (I think)
DirectX 9.0c (I think)
1024x768 32bit (Desktop)

Ok, now that that's out of the way - howdy. I'm been trying to run Soul Reaver (1) on my machine, having just finished Blood Omen.

It doesn't work. Normally I'd give up and say "XP is hopeless"... but it HAS worked before. Since then, I have uninstalled it, and only re-installed it now that I've finished Blood Omen (I dislike playing a series out of order). I might have made other changes, but if I did, they weren't big changes, because I honestly don't remember them at all (and you'd think I would remember big changes...)

So. I install the game (full installation) and then apply the 1.2 patch. Then I try running it at various compatibility modes - no go. Then I try the unofficial XP patch. As specified on it's readme, I set compatibility to "98/ME". When I run the game (every time I do, in fact) I'm presented with a "Configurations" windows dialog, much like the one in Longest Journey and Ultima 9. I get hopefull, because without the patch not even this would appear - it would just have quit saying the game has performed some illegal operation of some sort. But then I accept the settings, something happens and then it quits precisely the same way it did before the patch. By fiddling with the configuration, I think I can safely say that the little that happens is that resolutions and color depths are changed if necessary. But after that, it's back to the desktop.

I've tried different combinations of the configuration, and the other compatibility modes. Same result with mode 95. With modes NT and with no compatibility mode (with the XP patch applied, remember) something unpleasant - something begins. I don't know what - no sound, no image, no nothing. Worse, I can't alt-tab, and though I can Ctrl-Alt-Del and click "Task Manager", the actual manager does NOT come up. I can't access anything else. So - hard reset. I didn't try mode 2000 in case the same thing happened.

Oh - I used to install/play the game with the CD on CD-drive F:. I'm now using E:. I don't suppose this has anything to do with anything? I'm actually avoiding using drive F: for anything other than CD burning.

Though nut to crack, this one. For me, at least. Not that I'm much of a nutcracker. Or that I even fancy nuts at all. Anyway, I was wondering - can anyone help me out here?

PS - I'm in the process of re-installing with the "visual modes" and "advanced text services" turned off, to see if it helps. But it's taking a long time, so in case that's NOT it, I'm posting. If it does help, I'll edit accordingly, and people with the same problem will know about it.

Last edited by redruM on 2005-09-10, 13:20. Edited 1 time in total.

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The unpatched 1.0 version (Spanish) hangs for me.

The official 1.2 + WinXP patch works flawlessly for me using Windows98 compatibility mode.

Did you make a FULL INSTALLATION?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That I did, that I did.

Pity that the setup program is loading so slowly (though I know why THAT happens, it's unrelated to this issue), the more I think of it the more I'm conviced it's those two checkboxes. Did you have those two checked before running setup? Also, just in case, what configurations did you set on that "configurations" thingy, could you tell?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 3 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what you mean. Setup presented me with my ATi Radeon (D3D). I just changed the resolution to the maximum allowable (800x600)

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I guess different machines get different possibilities, which makes sense... oh, I forgot to mention I have a Geforce FX5200. Just for completeness' sake.

As for the two checkboxes, I mean the last checkboxes in the "Compatibility" tab of the setup.exe program. Though I suppose asking that isn't very helpful, since I'm about to try that out myself...

--Donnie Darko

Reply 5 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh, Sorry. NO, I just ticked Windows 98 compatibility mode. Everything else was unticked (Running with a display of 640x480, disable themes and such).

Do you have the latest drivers for your videocard?

I think latest ones are 78.01

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never had any problems with Soul Reaver but my last 2 cards have been an ATI 9700 and an ATI X800. I think I have a 5200 around here so I'll see if I can dig out Soul Reaver and give it a try.

It would be funny if it only worked on ATI cards since ATI used to have a rep with not working with older games. Heck, for quite awhile now almost all of their driver releases have to do with fixing games. Quite a turnaround.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I didn't bother to check that... apparently it's 7.1.8.9. I'll try updating them.

Out of curiosity, how can that be the problem (assuming it is) if the thing worked before, with an older version? Does it make some sort of sense that I'm missing?

...come to think of it, I do believe I updated the thing in-between installations of Soul Reaver...

--Donnie Darko

Reply 8 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes, newer drivers tend to perform worse. That's why it's a good thing to try out several different releases.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't tried the full ver of Soul Reaver yet but I did just try the demo.

Had to apply 95 compatibility mode to the executable. Used defaults for all configurations in Soul Reaver (640X480).

Video Card: Geforce FX 5200
Drivers: 43.45 Dets (Latest stable dets on this POS comp).

Game worked fine. I'm not about to try the latest dets for ya since they'll crash this computer hard if I do. So your on your own there.....but since the 43.45 dets work here then they should work for you on your 5200 too. Then you'll just have to slowly go through later detonators to find out which ones work. When you do you should email Nvidia.....dunno if you'll get anything out of 'em tho.

Reply 10 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your help, but I'm not too sure about demos... I managed to run the demo of QfG5 easily, for instance, but running the whole game is a nightmare, I haven't been able to do it yet. So I'm not sure how much of a help that is... anyway, I'm the layman of all laymen - what's a "detonator"?

EDIT - Allright, I got the new version of the driver and it still doesn't work. So unfortunately the problem must lie elsewhere...

EDIT 2 - Wrong assumption, nevermind the assumption, maybe that IS the problem. But I really don't feel comfortable about putting older drivers, or "dets" as the case may be...

Last edited by redruM on 2005-09-09, 15:41. Edited 2 times in total.

--Donnie Darko

Reply 11 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try out the full ver when I can. Just tried the demo because usually the fixes are the same for the full versions.

Detonators are what Nvidia used to refer to their Drivers before they came up with 'ForceWare".

You can download the 43.45 dets at Guru3D.

Reply 12 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'm staring at the detonater. It's sitting in my hard drive. How safe is this thing? I mean, can I be sure that installing it won't screw some things up?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 13 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, installing an older driver has the same safety concerns as installing a newer driver....when it comes to computers you can never be sure about anything....except that eventually it will screw up. 😉

Reply 14 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh. Pragmatist view. I like it.

Can I just install this one? Or should I uninstall the previous one? How DO I uninstall the previous one? Won't it have negative effects, uninstalling the graphic card driver? And last but not least, where can I find these things out so's I don't have to take up your time on these surely-obvious-questions-that-however-still-elude-counfound-and-frighten-me?

--Donnie Darko

Reply 15 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use add & remove programs prior to installing a different driver. Just to be on the safe side.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 16 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, sorry for being so reluctant about this, but I found a way to feel safe. If I make a "System Restore Point" prior to the whole uninstall/install-older thing and it backfires on me, can I reboot and "go back" to that "System Restore Point" and find that all's well once again?

EDIT - Hmmm... I'm sure this is unrelated, but in the "Add/Remove programs" thingy I have two entries for Legacy of Kain - one being "Legacy Of Kain", the other being "Legacy Of Kain - Soul Reaver". I'd assumed the first was for BLood Omen... BUT they both have the same icon, the same size and the same "Last accessed date". What's more, I HAVE uninstalled Blood Omen. And when I try to uninstall "Legacy of Kain", I get: "This will uninstall Legacy of Kain. Do you wish to proceed?", and after THAT, "PROBLEM: Legacy of Kain data has been altered. Uninstallation may not be complete. You may need to manually remove the remaining parts of Kain." Which makes sense, since I had already removed the game...

I'm sure this is unrelated, but I thought I might as well mention.

Oh, I found a "Portuguese" version of the patch. Since I AM Portuguese, I tried it, but still no go. I'll see if I can sort this Blood Omen/Soul Reaver mess, see if it's related. If not, I'll just wait for you to tell me whether I can safely rely on System Restore if it backfires.

Wouldn't it be fun to find out after all this trouble that the problem was not in the graphic card drivers? (no it wouldn't!)

--Donnie Darko

Reply 18 of 19, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I cleaned it up. Didn't help, though. But by reinstalling and re-uninstalling I managed to make the Legacy of Kain entry at least look different from the Soul Reaver entry.

So, how much did you say I could rely on System Restore Points again?

EDIT - I did it. I replaced the drivers with the older ones... and it works!

Truth be told, maybe it's because this time I uninstalled the previous driver BEFORE installing the one I wanted to install (the older, in this case), which I hadn't done before - maybe installing on top of previous installations, as I had been doing, was the problem all along...

...but I don't care. It's running. 😁 Thank you so much for your help, time and patience - it's great to know there's a place I can rely on when I have this sort of trouble.

--Donnie Darko