VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ostensibletruth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7VKM
Processor - AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67GHz)
RAM - 2GB dual channel PC3200
Video board - 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
Sound board - "ALS 4000 Audio Device (WMD)"
Operating system - WinXP Pro SP2 (also happened on SP1)
Game name - Fallout v1.01 and Fallout 2 v1.02
Description of problem - After I play for a while a blue screen of death flashes at me and the computer instantly reboots before I can read anything on the screen. Sometimes this happens after five minutes and sometimes I can play for hours without ever having this problem.
Reproducibility of problem - Happens more often than not, but not always.
Steps already attempted to solve the problem - I've gotten later video card drivers, reinstalled, cleared all fallout registry keys.

My old sound card failed and while Windows was booting I got the BSOD & instant reboot, but this only happened once. I just mention it because it's the only time it has happened outside the game. Actually, after this happened and I put in a new sound card I played the game for about 4 hours successfully and thought it was cured, but the next time I tried it happened again.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right-click "My Computer"
Go to properties.
Go to Advanced Tab
Go to Startup and Recovery.
Uncheck automatically reboot.

Next time your system blue screens, write down the info.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by ostensibletruth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your...

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x01B80037, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF77AFCA6)

*** als4000.sys - Address F77AFCA6 base at F77AF000 DateStamp 3bd3a48d

Beginning dump of physical memory...

Reply 4 of 9, by BossXxX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry for my bad english
i tried for a few days to start fallout 1+2 to start on xp. but it dont work. but i think the problem is the fallout.ini file. it dosnt not create correct on xp systems. then i installed the dos version in the command line. and start it. the dos version works fine. then i closed the programm. and copy the dos ini to the w95 dir of fallout, and it starts. i hope you know what i mean ,)

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

als4000.sys is a sound card driver. Try upgrading or downgrading the driver and see if that helps.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by ostensibletruth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to get different sound card drivers... they all did the same thing. Different websites all had the same version, and I don't think the company itself has a site anymore. Anyway, because of this and increasing amounts of other problems, I just reformatted. Still happens though... any ideas on where I can get a different version of this sound driver?

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you reformatted, did you try letting it use the drivers that came with WinXP, or did you go ahead and install drivers from the Internet before testing the games again?