VOGONS

Common searches

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned rat

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 65, by ShadeNL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I dont know if its allowed to kick old topics but i'll take my changes on it. First of all. I am Dutch so my english wont be perfect.. I'll give it my best but dont shoot me if i'm saying something wrong.

I've read this topic and my kind of error is diffirent then the other ones. At least.. I think so. When i run SOTHR i get a little screen what says.

"SHADOW made an common protectionerror in module ~TMP180A.EXE on 0003:127C" this is the english translation

Then the only thing i can do is to close the whole thing. I get the same error with the original CD and a downloaded version of the game. I've tried to run it through the Win95 compitable mode but that doesnt work either. I get the same error.

I hope i am clear enough about the problem and i surely hope u guys can help me out. Thanks anyway for the trouble.

Reply 22 of 65, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read this thread:

http://www.oldgames.nu/forum/showthread.php?s … 15&pagenumber=1

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 65, by superelectro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i did this and only working till the black screen at the battle screen. others are perfect. whitout the image of the battle screen, wat the hell are we playing for? lol. anyone know how to fix this? or is it have anything to do with direct draw?

here are the step i did :

1. Follow paladin_uth step
2. Follow Sneaksie only this step,

Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your CD_ROM>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.

Reply 24 of 65, by Rawisericho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't be fucking done. I've taken everyones advice and it NEVER works. That thread that "has the answers" has expired. This game has never been playable on XP and never will be. I challenge anyone to help me because I've been trying since 2002 and I can't get it to work.

Reply 26 of 65, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I guess you were looking for this thread:

http://www.oldgames.nu/forums/PC-Warhammer-Shadow-t6293.html

I have never visited that site, yet it took me only 5 minutes or so to find it. Maybe because I know how to use a Search box? *hint*

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 27 of 65, by Rawisericho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's great that you utilized the search button but it doesn't help because the website is a relic. Not only does the link that he gives to the "updated" Warhammer not work but the "help" posts at some points contradict themselves and then no link files are given to where certain DLL files and other needed items are. I'm not sure what method works, which doesn't or what the definitive way to use it is as the entire post is locked, I can't register and the website links seem to have expired in 2006. Have these posts helped anyone run this game? If so could you make a linear and definitive way to do this, I have the CD version of the game but I'm open to download another version.

Reply 28 of 65, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Rawisericho wrote:

(...) I have the CD version of the game but I'm open to download another version.

And that is where the record broke. Start by getting a legal copy, like here. Once we know that you have the complete game, then maybe I am willing to help.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 31 of 65, by Bibdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1)Copy RMORPH folder contents to your windows\system32 folder.
2)Copy WARFB folder to C:\GAMES folder (or whatever folder you want, but then you'll need to change paths in reg file).
3)Create empty folder TEMP inside WARFB folder.
4)Create folder UPDATE inside WARFB folder.
5)Create folder BINARY inside WARFB\UPDATE folder.
6)Copy only files (not the folders!) from <your CD_ROM>\WARFB\FILE\BINARY to C:\GAMES\WARFB\UPDATE\BINARY folder.
7)Run the included file SOTHR.reg to register required dlls.
8)In your WARFB folder set for game executable compatibility option "Run in 256-color mode".
9)Run the game. If you want windowed mode, ALT-TAB from it and then select it from taskbar, it should stay windowed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to say a big thankyou to Sneaksie. This worked like a charm and I was able to get the game running fine in Windows XP. All of the above worked, including the download to the attached .reg file.

Only problem was you forgot to mention copying the contents of <CD-ROM>\WING to C:\Windows\System32\ as well 😀

It also seems like the 'rapid-clicking during blackscreens' kicks the game in motion when it seems to hang up, too.

Reply 32 of 65, by benjitastic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, i just tried to install shadow of the horned rat on xp and i had the exact problem as yellow did. i went to try the link that he gave but it didn't lead to anything. i tried searching on google but couldn't find anything.
so yeah, i just get 'error id: 2' and then 'failed to launch app' and the WARHAMFB file I have is an Internet Communication Settings file too...
it seems like there is a solution because yellow found it at that link, but i have no idea what it is...

any help would be much appreciated, thanks.