VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please forgive me if this is the wrong area, as its in-between Windows and hardware, though more on the Windows end I suppose.

I installed nusb3.3e to allow me to use my VIA 3038-based usb 2.0 pci card to access flash drives and the like. While I understand the CPU bears the brunt of dealing with USB device access, I'm noticing under system monitor "Kernal : Processor usage" gets pegged under hard disc/PCI device use and nearly causes everything to grind to a halt. For instance, I have a Yamaha DS-2416 soundcard and cool edit pro. Once i start a recording, a few seconds later there will be a noticeable stutter in the recording box. Under the kernal-EX patch it would grind everything to a halt, but this time i'm trying the system out with just nusb installed. Also, i swapped out a geforce 4mx for an ATI rage pro turbo pci (Got tired of forceware bugs) so that also might have improved this a bit, though i cant be absolutely sure. I see no options in the Bios for PCI device mastering, so theres nothing to enable on that end. Without nusb installed, there is no slowdown at all. Interesting enough, the Yamaha card has its own on-chip encoders so the problem should be less then trying it on my ISA Soundblaster awe32 which exhibits the same problem! Its also not limited to recording, the system (Fresh install of win98se with only the chipset update) is perceptibly slower.

Anyone have a similar problem or know how to mitigate it?

Motherboard: SE440BX-2 CPU: Pentium II 400mhz SL3EE
Harddrive: 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar (Tested working fine under WD utils)
Memory: 768M (With modifications in system.ini to adjust memory caching)
Soundcards: Yamaha DS2416 pci and Soundblaster AWE32 ISA
VIA-3038 PCI usb 2.0 host adapter (motherboard USB ports disabled to no effect)
RTL-8139 NIC (KIngston KNE-111tx+)
Ati rage pro turbo pci (using win98se's built-in driver)

Thanks for your time!

Reply 2 of 4, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been quite the while since I've had occasion to use NUSB, but while I'm sure there are people here who could help, I would think that the MSFN support thread would be a better place to ask.

I'm also curious as to why you're using 3.3e when there are later versions available, although admittedly I'm not sure what changed; there's some information about it here though.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 4 of 4, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Targaff wrote:

It's been quite the while since I've had occasion to use NUSB, but while I'm sure there are people here who could help, I would think that the MSFN support thread would be a better place to ask.

I'm also curious as to why you're using 3.3e when there are later versions available, although admittedly I'm not sure what changed; there's some information about it here though.

Thanks for the links, i hadn't realized it was a MSFN project. I simply used what i was able to google 😜

I'll give some of the later versions a try, though. Its an odd thing, happening when nothing is plugged into the USB ports. I believe its got something todo with win98se's switch to virtual memory, as it takes a bit of time (usually a few seconds) for the slowdown to appear. Probably due to switching over from memory to virtual memory.