Common searches

DVD Games, where art thou?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this interesting thread from "Wing Commander CIC" about the WC4 DVD (read from the bottom of the page up):
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?threadid=5207

Hrmmm... Might have to test that sometime...

Reply 22 of 52, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hrmmm... Might have to test that sometime...

Goals for this discussion:
1. Make list of all DVD-ROM games
2. Make list of all the major players in DVD decoding, software and hardware
3. Test games on Win2000/XP with players.

Yes, yes...

Reply 24 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For some strange reason, I felt compelled to do some quick testing on some of my DVD's:

Claw
The most successful of the group would, of course, be the least enhanced DVD I have. The only enhancement is that the "cut-scene" videos are .VOB files. Ran on both 98SE and XP. For some strange reason, the video player included in the game will only run them in a 256 color display (!?). Why on earth would they make them true VOB files, only to have them play back in a fuzzy 256-color mode? Also found out that the two patches out there (v1.2 and 1.3) will break video playback. 98SE/XP Same results.

Daedalus Encounter, The
Run-time error 6, overflow in XP. Seems Ok in 98SE until you actually start, then video goes black. Hrmmm...

Lightbringer
Seems to run fine except for some choppy audio streaming (which I think is the drive's fault...I've gotten a lot of that since replacing my DVD drive).

Silent Steel
Apparently the most ancient in terms of technology. The basic program runs fine, but there's no MPEG2 video at all. No errors either, simply jumps from one decision branch to another. Found a patch that apparently refuses to update it because it insists that I install "Video for Windows with the Indeo 3.2 codec". Installing that, of course, makes no difference. 98SE/XP, Same results.

Zork Grand Inquisitor
When installing, it declares that my video isn't DVD capable, threatens to Totemize me (!), then installs the "plain" video segments for the game. Video files are the standard .VOB. 98SE/XP, Same results.

Wing Commander IV
Installs normally. Got a "VirtualProtect() Failed" error until I used 95/98 Compatibility mode. Like "Silent Steel", the main program seemed OK, but video failed to run (unlike SS, each failure popped up an error window with the name of the file that failed to play). Tried installing ancient MediaMatics DVD player program and it got my hopes up as it played the opening video (with rather poor audio quality compared to just playing the VOB file with PowerDVD). When it reached the end of the video it froze the display and gave the two choices to make (just like it should). After choosing, however, it went right back to it's old behavior: no video playback with error windows.

Seems like it could run properly with some hacking. Maybe I should just do like some others do: play it normally with PowerDVD in the background, then when I get the error, use PowerDVD to play the file. Seems like someone could whip up a VBasic program to do that...

Reply 26 of 52, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
What I'd like to find someday (if I can get them cheap enough...) ------------------------------ Baldurs Gate Command and Conqu […]
Show full quote

What I'd like to find someday (if I can get them cheap enough...)
------------------------------
Baldurs Gate
Command and Conquer

I have the Baulder's Gate DVD, and honestly, the only thing going for it over the disks is that its 1 DVD vs 5 disks. All they did was create directories for each disk on the DVD, and copy its contents over. Same low quality movies.

Last edited by Nytegard on 2003-04-27, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's how most of these things work. For some games it's really useful -- like non-linear ones that would otherwise require lots of disk swapping, eg. Psychic Detective, or linear ones that have resources scattered all over the place, eg. Obsidian; for most others it's just a handy way to save space and have everything on one disc.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 28 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover That's how most of these things work. For some games it's really useful -- like non-linear ones that would otherwise require lots of disk swapping, eg. Psychic Detective, or linear ones that have resources scattered all over the place, eg. Obsidian; for most others it's just a handy way to save space and have everything on one disc.

So even the "Baldur's Gate" DVD is still a nice improvement over the standard version, because it eradicates disc-swapping. I wonder if anyone has the "Command and Conquer" DVD. I know that one had MPEG2 cutscenes, but I don't know if it was actually available for sale.

One good bit of news: http://www.konami.com/substance/

Finally someone grasped the concept. MGS2 is DVD-only. So if your local store has MGS2 for the PC, it is carrying the DVD version. So we finally have a nice, non-truncated DVD PC game that's not being sold as a "niche" version.

Reply 29 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As more PS2/XBOX/NGC games are ported to PC there is going to be a greater dependence on DVD technology since many many of them use DVD-ROM media. There might be some huffing and puffing about it at first, but I imagine it'll die down quickly, since DVD-ROM drives are standard in pretty much everything. (And hey, it costs less to get a DVD-ROM drive than it does to get a PS2, and it looks better, too 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 30 of 52, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, DVD technology hasn't caught on like CDROM's and soundcards. Well, sound cards aren't exactly a good analogy, since you could still play the game, but CDROM's are similar. By the time they became 2x, I know Sierra and other companies started releasing DVD versions of their more popular games. Granted, there was only a small shelf, but there was a shelf. Besides Gabriel Knight 2, one of the Tex Murphy games, Myst 2, and Baldur's Gate, I don't know of any games that are were released on DVD (that were not included with a DVD drive and/or decorder like the Real Magic/Creative cards) outside of the ones listed here.

If you give me the exact name of the Command and Conquer DVD (C&C1? Generals? Red Alert?), I can see if I can locate it for you.

Reply 31 of 52, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the time they became 2x, I know Sierra and other companies started releasing DVD versions of their more popular games.

Whaa? I assume you mean second-generation DVD-ROM, as saying that there was stuff being released on DVD media when two-speed CD-ROM drives came to pass would be a silly thing to say.

In the computing sector DVD hasn't caught on as much, but in the film and television entertainment sectors, wow.

Why are people trying to validate DVD to stand for "Digital Video Disc"? That's not what it stands for. That's why it's called DVD Video, just like DVD-ROM and DVD Audio. Digital Versatile Disc. It's Not Just For Video.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 32 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Geez, I bought my first DVD drive back in 1999! It was Creative and came with the Creative Branded Realmagic Hollywood +.

As for the future of PC Gaming.... I believe that M$ gaming specifications want games to be played off of optical. This would have to be DVD.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 33 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover As more PS2/XBOX/NGC games are ported to PC there is going to be a greater dependence on DVD technology since many many of them use DVD-ROM media.

I think a big part of it will be that these people don't want to put the forward the time, money, and effort needed to convert a DVD into a stack of CD's...especially since it would result in an inferior product.

There might be some huffing and puffing about it at first, but I imagine it'll die down quickly, since DVD-ROM drives are standard in pretty much everything.

I wouldn't say they were "standard" just yet. I think you'd find more people with CD-RW drives...

(And hey, it costs less to get a DVD-ROM drive than it does to get a PS2,...

...that will be a big factor. When they first hit the market, they were horribly expensive and had no software support. Now, DVD console games are just waiting to be converted to the PC and DVD drives have hit the dirt cheap range. My most recent (2nd) DVD drive was free after dual rebates.

Originally posted by Nytegard Well, DVD technology hasn't caught on like CDROM's and soundcards.

Most people need a specific reason to make a purchase like that. New titles that require DVD will cause sales.

I know Sierra and other companies started releasing DVD versions of their more popular games. Granted, there was only a small shelf, but there was a shelf. Besides Gabriel Knight 2,...

Was that ever confirmed? I'm not convinced it existed.

...one of the Tex Murphy games,...

That would be Overseer. Had both the CD's and the DVD in the Box.

... Myst 2,

The RIVEN DVD. Lucked out and got it fairly cheap.

If you give me the exact name of the Command and Conquer DVD (C&C1? Generals? Red Alert?), I can see if I can locate it for you.

That would be "Command & Conquer", as in the original.
http://www.csoon.com/issue22/p_west2.htm

Originally posted by Snover Why are people trying to validate DVD to stand for "Digital Video Disc"? That's not what it stands for.

When you're in sales...you don't care. People can call them "Delicious Voodoo Dolls" so long as the sales keep going...

Reply 34 of 52, by Nytegard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Was that ever confirmed? I'm not convinced it existed.

I know that Gabriel Knight 2 did come out on DVD. Sierra had this promotion at the time that they were willing to change a few of their games over to DVD, but it only lasted really less than 2 months I think. Same thing with Bioware and Baldur's Gate. If you got in that the right time, you would get a DVD (had to pay them a little bit of money too though).

But since things are still on CD today, I'm taking a guess that it just didn't turn out great for them financially, and they had to stop.

Anyways, after work, I'll go look around for C&C.

Reply 36 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Nytegard I know that Gabriel Knight 2 did come out on DVD.

Well that's good to hear, but production must've been very limited. Be nice if there were some "official" data on it. All I've seen is Internet rumor...

Same thing with Bioware and Baldur's Gate. If you got in that the right time, you would get a DVD...

There were a number of references to this and it even showed up on some order catalogs, so I knew it was real. That, and the DVD box I saw at Fry's electronics. I just wasn't willing to pay for it.

Anyways, after work, I'll go look around for C&C.

If we could just find a way to get the MPEG2 cutscenes, I bet there's a way to "implant" them back into the game. Would be worth it just to see Cain in hi-res again...

Reply 38 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...again?

Yes. He was classic. I still remember wanting to strangle him after he wiped out a village, left behind evidence to implicate the GDI...then gloated about it. That's good character acting...especially since he wasn't "really" an actor. Also, I've yet to get to "Tiberian Sun"...actually I've yet to finish the insanely difficult "Covert Missions". What sadist came up with those missions?

...and then And isn't it with a K?

Apparently it's Kane. A lot of sites have it misspelled and I couldn't remember...

Reply 39 of 52, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

actually I've yet to finish the insanely difficult "Covert Missions". What sadist came up with those missions?

Hah, that reminds me of the Warcraft II expansions set, which was also near impossible to finish. I still have to finish those aswell.

About the phenomenon DVD, I think it's slowly dying. We have like 6 different recordables (+/- ram etc). 5 different types and now even M$ is introducing a new HD-DVD (High definition.. Don't worry, it's just marketing.. there's no more definition than any other DvD, I also think that that term is illegal here in Holland. I think the whole new formatthing is to promote media player 9).

People just want to enjoy DvD's .. not make studies of them.

I've got Outcast on DVD.. I think it's a bundle version with one of them DvD expansion cards, I'm not sure. It still works in win98.