VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I AM able to run the game in hardware mode, but only in D3D, and the resolution is limited to 1024x768 with 16-bit color. Judging by other forum posts I've seen via Google, other people have been able to run the game both in 32-bit color and in Glide mode with a Voodoo5. I've been trying to get the game to use Glide mode on and off for a long time with little success, all the various registry fixes I've come across have had no effect, I was once able to get it to use Glide by ticking 'Emulate Rush' in 3dfx Tools but for whatever reason that now does nothing for me.

My system:

ASUS A7V66-e
Athlon XP 1700+
512 MB DDR
Win 98 SE
Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Does anyone have any advice to offer?

Reply 2 of 10, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Are your game DLLs updated?

Hmm, I installed EA's Voodoo3 patch, which updates voodoo2a.dll. 😦 If I run 3D device setup I still only have the choice betwixt software renderer and 'Direct3D device 1.'

Reply 4 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The *censored* EA is using the *censored* method to detect Voodoo cards: 3dsetup/3ddata is scanning PCI bus, detect videocards through vendor_id/device_id, then set registry settings.
As you can see - if the card is released after the game - the detection will fail.
The choices are - 3ddata replacement, manual registry editing or .exe switches.
Updates for NFS3 are supporting Voodoo3 detection only. So - use .reg included to nGlide compatibility list.

P.S. the render name is in "HKLM\...\%gamename%\...\thrash driver" and must be voodoo2 (glide3x renderer) or voodoo (glide2x renderer).

Reply 5 of 10, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
The *censored* EA is using the *censored* method to detect Voodoo cards: 3dsetup/3ddata is scanning PCI bus, detect videocards t […]
Show full quote

The *censored* EA is using the *censored* method to detect Voodoo cards: 3dsetup/3ddata is scanning PCI bus, detect videocards through vendor_id/device_id, then set registry settings.
As you can see - if the card is released after the game - the detection will fail.
The choices are - 3ddata replacement, manual registry editing or .exe switches.
Updates for NFS3 are supporting Voodoo3 detection only. So - use .reg included to nGlide compatibility list.

P.S. the render name is in "HKLM\...\%gamename%\...\thrash driver" and must be voodoo2 (glide3x renderer) or voodoo (glide2x renderer).

Thanks for the advice, I tried that and it didn't work, I also tried another method found here which unfortunately had no effect but to limit me to 800x600x16 and generally made it look much worse. 😒 You have nooooo idea how much I dislike EA, with their buggy products, terrible support and (in my humble personal opinion) not having developed a good game in lord knows how long... and of course poor compatibility. 🤐

I also tried a very long and confusing method which was obviously written by a non-sequential thinker, found here: http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger

Reply 6 of 10, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried putting -voodoo2 in the shortcut target line like this?

"C:\Games\Need For Speed III\nfs3.EXE" -voodoo2

Not sure where I found out about this but that's what I have in my shortcut using with a glide wrapper in XP.

Dunno if that will help but it might be worth a shot.

Reply 7 of 10, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flashback wrote:
Have you tried putting -voodoo2 in the shortcut target line like this? […]
Show full quote

Have you tried putting -voodoo2 in the shortcut target line like this?

"C:\Games\Need For Speed III\nfs3.EXE" -voodoo2

Not sure where I found out about this but that's what I have in my shortcut using with a glide wrapper in XP.

Dunno if that will help but it might be worth a shot.

Thank you, THAT did it (possibly in combination with other things), as deduced when I turned off Glide/OpenGL FSAA in 3dfx Tools and was greeted by a mass of jaggies. 🤣 It's weird that I don't see the Glide splash screen, though, and the headlights still look quite awful during night driving, when on vertex the light sort of jerks along with the car and is very distracting, and on projected it looks very bad as well.

Reply 9 of 10, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problems you are having are very, very old, and already solved 😜

Check it here:
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl … =1077242013/6#6
and files here:
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264203301

Enjoy 😀

and btw

Menkau_ra wrote:

AMD CPUs are not the best choice to run 3DFX cards. You will always have compatibility problems. For Voodoo you need to buy Intel.

^^ This is really only one personal opinion, and as far as 3dfx is concerned - a wrong one. The best possible CPU/MoBo combo that can power up voodoo is indeed AMD based - it is KT333 + Barton 3200+. You should be pretty much ok with your Athlon 1700+.

Reply 10 of 10, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elfuego wrote:
The problems you are having are very, very old, and already solved :P […]
Show full quote

The problems you are having are very, very old, and already solved 😜

Check it here:
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl … =1077242013/6#6
and files here:
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264203301

Enjoy 😀

and btw

Menkau_ra wrote:

AMD CPUs are not the best choice to run 3DFX cards. You will always have compatibility problems. For Voodoo you need to buy Intel.

^^ This is really only one personal opinion, and as far as 3dfx is concerned - a wrong one. The best possible CPU/MoBo combo that can power up voodoo is indeed AMD based - it is KT333 + Barton 3200+. You should be pretty much ok with your Athlon 1700+.

Wow, Google failed to bring that up, and I went through page after page of results. 😒 Will try this later, thanks very much.

And yeah, the latest mobos that can run AGP 1/2x are KT266 and KT333. I wanted something faster than a Pentium III... I actually had originally bought a KT333 board but it was DOA, so I went with the next-best I could find.