VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have the CD for this but it seems to be a Voodoo 1 game [ie, it runs on a V1]. Does anyone know if it's possible to get it working on later Voodoo cards using glide under Windows 98?

Reply 3 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... on my Voodoo 5 computer the whole system freezes at random during game set-up when I use the 3dfx version of Redline Racer [ie.at one of the screens before the race starts]. Directx version runs fine. Driver problem maybe.

Reply 4 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just use Direct3D then. It's not like there's anything more technical than the excessive use of lens flare.
The real attraction of the game is the crashing AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 14, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was a great game, too bad it won't work with XP. I could get it to run a few times, but the biker kept falling repeatedly and I couldn't even race.

Reply 6 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Necro but it's my thread anyway and same subject. How time flies.

Just tried this again after reinstall in windows 98 in between times, and RR works fine on the v5 this time using 3dfx at install. Maybe something in the v5 drivers I used before.

I was hoping to set it up as a lan game as it looks like it can work on a lan using ipx whereas with tcpip it seems to want to find an online game server. But it doesn't like 2000 or xp it seems, which means two 98 rigs. Not likely to happen 😜. I guess a VM won't work. Glide wrapper maybe? If it's related to directx somehow.

Reply 8 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

great, thanks will have to bite the bullet and try nglide, never used a wrapper before

edit: yep it nows runs in xp using nglide and i can set up a game with my 98 box. 😁

Last edited by ratfink on 2013-05-08, 11:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or just get Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing, which is effectively Redline Racing with better textures, so I believe...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 12 of 14, by fire-phoenix-fire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are many people who have only the D3D-Version (they get it with a computer or a graphics card). For them, there is also a solution to play the game in XP oder win7.

All you need to do is:
Copy the exe from the CD into your game-folder (overwrite the installed one).
Set use resolution of 640*480 in compatibility-Tab of the exe.
Set 16bit colour at your desktop (under win7 you need click on advanced settings -> list all graphic modes, there are the 16bit-modes).
-> Start the game and have fun!

(for better graphics you can force antialiasing in the nvidia control panel (for nvidia cards))

Reply 13 of 14, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Or just get Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing, which is effectively Redline Racing with better textures, so I believe...

Impressive! I must get my hands on it...

Reply 14 of 14, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was tweaking it last night on Win8.1, needs the DDRAW replacement or the ACT fix (I prefer that) for super smooth frame rate:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php? … 77&post=1202630

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor