Common searches

Turok 2 in XP/Vista with Wrappers not working

Topic actions

First post, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I've recently bought a retail copy of the PC versions of both Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. By default they both run under Direct3D, and they run very well, but only for a short period of time. They will both play for approximately ten minutes (it's never the same) and suddenly the performance will drop to maybe one frame-per-second and then all of the textures on-screen will disappear and the whole screen becomes either black or pale blue, but the sounds continue to play.

I have tried to run under Clean Boot mode, I've tried many different video card drivers (WHQL and Beta ones), I've tried to run under Windows 95/98/2000 compatibility modes, and of course I've tried Glide Wrappers, lots of them, and one of them works for Dinosaur Hunter, but not for Seeds of Evil. The one wrapper I found working for the first Turok is the well known Zeckensack's Wrapper, version 0.84c. It just works well and there's no performance loss over time and the game is very stable, no crashes. But unfortunately it doesn't work for Turok 2.

In the Turok 2's launcher menu after I put the CD in the drive I can go to the Video options and select the driver to use, and by default (without the wrapper installed) I only see my graphics card mentioned there. But when I install the wrapper there's a new option showing up, but it also mentions "ERROR" in its name, here I took a picture: http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/539/41469602.gif

When I select that option anyway and start the game then the screen is black, there's simply no picture at all, but the sound plays properly. That exact same wrapper works very well with the first Turok however, as I mentioned.

I also tried the dgVoodoo wrapper, but after placing the files glide2x.dll and dgVoodoo Setup in either the Turok2's installation folder or also in Windows\system32 then nothing happens. There were no new options showing up in the driver selection in the T2's launcher menu, so I don't know if it's working or not, I see no visual indication that it's working properly. But I tried to play with the files in the folders anyway to see what would happen, but then it crashed again the same way, so I knew I wasn't playing with the wrapper at all. I also tried XGL200 but whatever I do the game crashes before it starts, sometimes the launcher itself won't start up at all.

By the way here are my system's specifications if it matters to mention:

Intel C2D E8400
Gigabyte GA-38-DQ6
OCZ PC2-6400 4GB
GeForce GTX 285 1GB

I'm running both Windows XP Home SP3 32-Bit, and Windows Vista Home SP1 64-Bit, each on their own hard-drives partitions. I also tried to do all of the above on the Vista partition but I'm experiencing the exact same problems.

So I wrote all of this here to ask for suggestions. Is there any known working wrappers for Turok 2: Seeds of Evil specifically? I can play Dinosaur Hunter with the wrapper I mentioned, but not Turok 2, and that's the one I really want to play the most because it's my favorite. I would greatly appreciate your help guys.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 64, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

doesnt turok2 use the forsaken engine
zackensacks wrapper does glide 2.x not really 3.x (i think he did some 3.x work just for diablo)

edit: from zeckensacks docs
"There's also some preliminary support for the Glide 3 API, but this isn't going very far. The Glide 3 emulation currently supports Diablo 2 quite well, but little else."

Try this:
dd1a.jpg

Reply 2 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your help and support Davros.

Sadly your suggestion does not work, it still results in the same crashing behavior (I.E progressive loss of performance without visual issues, and very suddenly the textures and parts of the environments models start to disappear, and soon after almost the whole map disappears while the performance is around 1 or 2 frames-per-second).

I've taken two pictures of the bug:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6660/98281378.gif (after approximately 15 minutes of play, things progressively start to disappear, that's when the performance drastically drops)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6390/t2b.gif (approximately two or three minutes after the first visual issues, it's a total mess up of the screen, the environment and performance gone to hell)

There's got to be a way to make Turok 2 work 😢

Reply 3 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try forcing 16bit color at the desktop.
Reducing video hardware acceleration.
Play the Nvidia driver game.
Go through each video card offered in the game configuration program and try each one.
Try the game in Windowed mode.

Game has always worked fine on the Intel integrated laptops from my tests, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista and Windows 2008.

Seems to work in wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … cation&iId=7534

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Try forcing 16bit color at the desktop. Reducing video hardware acceleration. Play the Nvidia driver game. Go through each video […]
Show full quote

Try forcing 16bit color at the desktop.
Reducing video hardware acceleration.
Play the Nvidia driver game.
Go through each video card offered in the game configuration program and try each one.
Try the game in Windowed mode.

Game has always worked fine on the Intel integrated laptops from my tests, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista and Windows 2008.

Seems to work in wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … cation&iId=7534

Hi and thanks for your help and support.

Alright, so far:

1) Forcing 16-Bit colors to the Desktop did not fixed the problem (I've also tried 16-Bit in the game's video option without success).
2) Video hardware acceleration reduction hasn't fixed the problem.
3) What do you mean by "play the Nvidia driver game" exactly?
4) Going through each cards available in the video options will take time but that's probably the only thing I have left to try, so shall it be, I will try that.
5) I still experienced the same bug in windowed mode.

I still have to ask though, are there really no wrappers at all in existence that could play Turok 2 that I'm simply not aware of?

Reply 5 of 64, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most wrappers emulate just Glide2x, not Glide3x. There are some wrappers with preliminary/experimental Glide3x support, though:

- Zeckensack GlideWrapper.
- eVoodooXP 3.2/3.99 Beta.
- Glitch64 for Glide64 plugin.

Anyway, your best choice for Glide games is to get a real 3dfx card. I personally recommend a Voodoo2, they are cheap and easy to find in eBay.

Reply 6 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The NVIDIA driver game is where you try different driver versions until your game works. 😀

Reply 8 of 64, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I can also confirm that Turok 2 Seeds of Evil works fine on the following rigs:

Windows 98SE/ATI Rage 128 Pro
Windows XP Pro SP3/ATI Radeon X200M
Windows Vista 64 SP1/ATI Radeon 3200HD

At this point it sounds like some incompatibility with your NVidia drivers and you should do as DosFreak suggests and try different driver versions until you find one that works.

Reply 9 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's too bad there isn't a D3D emulator for Windows.

There is WineD3D but it only support DX8+ (Turok 2 is DX6.1?)
http://www.nongnu.org/wined3d/

Reply 10 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the moment I'm still doing an elimination process within the available video cards list in the video options, there's so many, and basically I have to play around 20 minutes each time I try a new one since the bug isn't occurring until about that period of game-play time.

In the meantime I also tried WineD3D, but it doesn't change anything, there's no new option showing up in the drivers selection window, and indeed Turok 2 is using DirectX 6.1 according to the launcher when selecting "GTX 285" as my driver. I've looked on eBay for a Voodoo card, and through some search I think that the best Voodoo card I can get for my own system is the PCI version of the Voodoo 5 5500, there's an AGP version but my motherboard doesn't have AGP, that's too old, it's using PCI and PCI-Express.

But I honestly don't see myself constantly installing 3Dfx drivers and de-activating my GTX 285 and un-installing my ForceWare drivers each time I want to play either Turok or Turok 2, and then un-installing the 3Dfx drivers and re-activating my GTX 285 and re-installing my ForceWare drivers for other games, and doing that regularly because I'd play Turok regularly as well. It's just inconvenient, and Wrappers were created to avoid something like that, I'm just very unlucky to like a game that hasn't been supported in Wrappers (Turok 2). For the moment I'll play Dinosaur Hunter since that one works with Zeckensack's Wrapper.

By the way I tried eVoodoo 3.99 Beta, and while there's visual issues everywhere it was actually the only Wrapper of all of those I've tried that permitted the game to actually launch and start properly, but indeed there's visual problems all over the place and makes it unplayable, but I can see eVoodoo being a potential future solution for Turok 2 if it's still being worked on, is eVoodoo an active project or has it been abandoned long ago like most Wrappers out there?

Alright, I'll go back trying each one of the cards in the video options until the last one. Then I will come back and give the final verdict. I'd also be very curious to know if there's anyone else here owning a recent NVIDIA card with Windows XP and the latest ForceWare driver who could also try Turok 2 and see if it works after 20 minutes of play or so, or if I'm the only one experiencing that problem. And while it took me a lot of luck to find a retail version of both games I actually had them by other means before I bought them, if you get what I mean.

I just decided to buy them both as collectibles more than anything else (for example I still got both retail N64 versions including Turok 3 as well even though I never really liked it, but I don't have an actual N64 system, I'm just collecting a few Turok-related items in retail form, including some of the Valiant comics). In other words if one wants to try Turok 2 themselves and see if they can reproduce the bug then it shouldn't be very hard to find it digitally...

Reply 11 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try emailing the Glide64 dev and seeing if he wants to get that wrapper working with Turok 2 PC.

It appears to work for the N64 ver and the PC version does see the wrapper, it just won't load the game.

Looks like it was last updated in April of 2008 but that's alot newer than any other wrapper.

EVoodoo XP actually gets past the menu but crashes eventually:

http://evoodoo.emulation64.com/us/home.html

It's possible that the NVIDIA forums would have some registry tweak or something to fix the game. I know there was an issue recently with 16bit dithering which NVIDIA refuses to fixes for specific games so the community had to create their own programs to get the affected games to work......I doubt NVIDIA would bother to fix this game but the "fix" may be as simple as a registry tweak.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-04-16, 10:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a known problem with nvidia drivers on most DirectX 5/6 games. Motorhead, Jane's USAF and Virtual Pool 2 Hall are affected by the same bug. The 9x.xx drivers were the last known to work fine, but they don't support Geforce 8000 and newer. I've been bugging nvidia to fix this and a lot more problems but nothing has been done so far. 😠

Reply 13 of 64, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zenoth wrote:

In the meantime I also tried WineD3D, but it doesn't change anything, there's no new option showing up in the drivers selection window, and indeed Turok 2 is using DirectX 6.1 according to the launcher when selecting "GTX 285" as my driver. I've looked on eBay for a Voodoo card, and through some search I think that the best Voodoo card I can get for my own system is the PCI version of the Voodoo 5 5500, there's an AGP version but my motherboard doesn't have AGP, that's too old, it's using PCI and PCI-Express.

Forget about getting a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI these days, unless you are willing to pay 150 USD or more. That's the price they are being sold for. As I told you before, your best choice is a Voodoo 2, much cheaper and compatible with old Glide games. Not useful for Direct3D games, though. NT kernel (Windows 2K/XP/Vista) won't allow Direct3D support for Voodoo1/2 cards.

Zenoth wrote:

But I honestly don't see myself constantly installing 3Dfx drivers and de-activating my GTX 285 and un-installing my ForceWare drivers each time I want to play either Turok or Turok 2, and then un-installing the 3Dfx drivers and re-activating my GTX 285 and re-installing my ForceWare drivers for other games, and doing that regularly because I'd play Turok regularly as well. It's just inconvenient, and Wrappers were created to avoid something like that, I'm just very unlucky to like a game that hasn't been supported in Wrappers (Turok 2). For the moment I'll play Dinosaur Hunter since that one works with Zeckensack's Wrapper.

I didn't quite catch that. Do you mean that you would be installing and unistalling drivers each time you wanted to use one card or the other? Come on, that issue was fixed more than 10 years ago. Starting with Windows 98, you can have up to 9 simultaneous display devices installed and working at the same time. No need to install/uninstall drivers at all. So, wrappers were not created to avoid that. Wrappers were created to allow people without a 3dfx card to play 3dfx-only games.

Reply 14 of 64, by Zenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I don't know much about the technicalities of computers and operating systems, only the basics. I didn't even setup the dual-boot I have, all I did was buying Windows and I asked a good friend of mine to do the rest. I know about web browsing, gaming, playing media, doing some very simple video and audio editing (mostly via Windows Movie Maker) and... well, generally speaking I'm just a gamer and no more.

Anyway, thanks for information about the drivers and displays. However in the end I don't have a 3Dfx card and wrappers then as you say were created to allow people without such cards to play games that were using the render/API (or whatever it's called) from those cards. Which is why I had hope that a wrapper could play Turok 2. But that's alright, I mean I won't die because of that, I can play Turok 1 for now, and when I'll feel like it I'll play T2 for maybe 20 minutes and that's it, then I'll do something else.

I don't want to look like someone who's dying without his Turok 2 in 2009, I just wanted to play an old game I still like today but it's ok I mean I can deal with the wrappers' limitations and just basically forget about it, I'm no one to force anyone around here to make me a wrapper just for Turok 2 and my own seemingly egoist self, that ain't the case I can assure you. In other words I came here to see if I missed a working wrapper for Turok 2, and clearly now there's none capable of running it, that's it, there's nothing more to it, the only solution would be to buy a Voodoo 2 card, but I won't do it after some thinking about it, I prefer simply getting the N64 emulators and the Turok 2 rom for it and play it that way, and maybe buy myself a N64 controller with a USB converter and I'll be set.

I'd like to thank everyone here for your support, help and suggestions, I don't think anyone can do anything more than what has been done so far, it's possible to play it, but I need a card I don't have and won't buy since there's another solution (Project64 + Turok 2 rom). So I think I'll stop repeating myself now and consider this case closed unless one day I find something I missed and make it work without the crashing issue, in which case I'll update the thread in case it could interest someone else around here. I think I'm one of the few remaining T2 fan and still activate player around by now (I'm referring to the old Turok games of course, not the latest Turok released last year, that one was pure blasphemy and should have never been titled nor ever considered a Turok game in the slightest, Turok 3 by comparison was a jewel).

Reply 15 of 64, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a Glide3-only wrapper still in development: Sven Labusch's Glide3-to-OpenGL wrapper. Latest version was built on December 24, 2008.

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html

You could try to contact Sven asking or suggesting him to add support for Turok 2 in further releases. At least you know he's still working on it.

Reply 16 of 64, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

It's too bad there isn't a D3D emulator for Windows.

Actually there is cant remember the name off hand but its dx8 + 9 only wont run dx 7 games

edit : its called swiftshader i tried the demo with ut2004 and got 7fps on a q6600 🙁

maybe worth keeping an eye on in the future when we have faster cpu's

Reply 18 of 64, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry meant "wrapper" instead of "emulator". heh.

WinD3D wraps D3D games to OpenGL whereas Swiftshader emulates D3D.

Reply 19 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There must be some way for us to convince nvidia how important it is to keep supporting older DX versions. I have problems with most DX 5 and 6 games using my 8800gtx, but no problems with my 7900gt, as long as I keep older drivers.