VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently loaded Phantasmagoria 2 on my computer running Windows 98 and it seems fine. I have made image files of the five disks and was hoping to load them on virtual drives to play the game off the drives instead of my CD-ROM, but I have had no luck. Does anyone have advice as to how I can substitute image files for the CD-ROM? Thanks.

glyco0

Reply 1 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whats the drive letter? Make sure the resource.cfg on the harddrive (created when you installed) is potining to the correct CD-ROM letter, which in this case would be the virtual drive.

Right now it's probably set to "D:" or whatever your actual drive is. If you install through the imaged drive it will edit the resource.cfg for you, if you are more comfortable with that.

Reply 2 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
glyco0 wrote:

Hi,

I recently loaded Phantasmagoria 2 on my computer running Windows 98 and it seems fine. I have made image files of the five disks and was hoping to load them on virtual drives to play the game off the drives instead of my CD-ROM, but I have had no luck. Does anyone have advice as to how I can substitute image files for the CD-ROM? Thanks.

Do you made image files AFTER installing the game?

If that's the case, then there goes the problem: suppose your real CD drive is D:, while your "virtual" CD drive (where you mount the disk image on) is E:. You want to play the game from the CD image mounted on E:. However, you installed the game from the real CD drive instead of the mounted image, so it will be likely that the game will keep looking for D: instead of E:.

Many new games can "search" every CD drive on your system (real or otherwise), so it doesn't matter if you play the game from different CD drive than the one you installed the game from. However, I don't think a game as old as Phantasmagoria 2 can do that.

Now, what's the virtual CD drive are you using to play the game? Are you using Nero Image Drive?

By the way, considering you need to switch between CDs when playing the game, using CD images can be troublesome (although it may depend on the game being played). See, I'm currently playing Jane's Fighters Anthology, which comes with two CDs. Originally, I played from CD images, mounted on Nero Image Drive. When the game asked me to "insert CD 2", I unmounted the image of CD #1 and mounted the image of CD #2 on Nero Image Drive. Alas, the game crashed when I did that.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whats the drive letter? Make sure the resource.cfg on the harddrive

Phantasmagoria 2 still uses resource.cfg? 😕

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All SCI games used it. Of course if he trying the Windows version, RESOURCE.WIN.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 13, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My RESOURCE.WIN file looks like this:

[Windows]
title=Phantasmagoria - A Puzzle of Flesh
titleBar=TRUE
titleBarFixed=FALSE
allowresize=FALSE
maximized=FALSE
wwidth=640
wheight=480
sciMinK=9000
sciMaxK=9000
borderpixels=10
reservek4=700
reservek8=700
reservek16=2000
wingMinK=2700
confirmdac=TRUE
leadSubmits=4
colorCursor=TRUE
maxCursorSize=2016
palette=CD:\DUK
resAud=CD:\
resSfx=CD:\
resMap=CD:\;C:\SIERRA\P2WIN
rescdisc=CD:\
patchDir=C:\SIERRA\P2WIN;CD:\PATCHES;CD:\
movieDir=CD:\DUK
robot=CD:\ROBOT
discID=RESSCI
CD:=D:
useDirectDraw=TRUE
useDirectSound=FALSE

How could this file be modified so as to recognize the 5 different CDs on 5 different drives? How can you switch back between the different drives once mounted? Thanks.

glyco0

Reply 9 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD:=D: should be CD:=E:

If you play the DOS version in DOSBox, you can just swap mounted images for the CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 10 of 13, by glyco0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What if you are the Windows version on Windows 98 and you want to swap the disk on a virtual drive? Can you load multiple virtual drives? If so, how do you switch between them? Thanks.

glyco0

Reply 11 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CD:=E: means that the game will look for the CD in the E:\ drive. E means E. Just mount the disc that you need in the CD emulator when the game asks for that disc. If you were to play the game on a computer new enough to handle the game in DOSBox, you could easily swap between images with the press of a couple of keys. From the README:

"It is possible to mount CD-ROM images (ISOs or CUE/BIN) as well, if you need CD swapping capabilities specify all images in succession. The CDs can be swapped with CTRL-F4 at any time."

Reply 13 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
glyco0 wrote:

What if you are the Windows version on Windows 98 and you want to swap the disk on a virtual drive? Can you load multiple virtual drives? If so, how do you switch between them? Thanks.

Just minimize the game and then unload the image, then load the next one. Now go back into the game and it should be fine. No need to mount every image.