VOGONS

Common searches

Interstate '76

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 105, by Groove

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To all Auto Vigilantes

None of this is actually useful. The true solution of running the good ol' I'76 on Win NT based machines (2k, XP) is stunningly simple.

Turn hardware accelartion of sound to None.

either in dxdiag or in control panel under
Sound and Audio Devices -> Speaker settings - Advanced... (button) -> Performance Tab -> Hardware Acceleration (slider) = left most position = None

This has worked for my fresh out of the box I'76 without any patching on XP SP2 (I run an OC'ed Athlon XP @2.00GHz, 7600GT AGP, SBLive!5.1 )
It also works for Nitro pack and Gold edition. None of that shit with compatibility or special installation procedures. It works even with the cracked NoCD version of the i76.exe. No crashing, no bullshit, it just goes...

Swinger out

Do not follow the path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail...

Reply 61 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because that's never been mentioned before.

And that helps the fact it doesn't even install on 2K period how exactly?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 63 of 105, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno if you did, but numerous other people did, which was my point. In any event if the poster had actually bothered to read the thread they'd have seen that a far more detailed solution had also been posited that means it's not even necessary to do that.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 64 of 105, by TLS_Vigra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Groove...

Another problem is the virtual drive change to D: But that's also been told.

I think there's like 3 threads on I'76... Either way the game rulz, and it will never die!!!!!

Interstate Outlaws will be great once its finished, google search for it 😀

Reply 66 of 105, by xlynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a really good compilation B-Cekk, I'd like to post it to ntcompatible.com with my additions, if there are no objections.

A couple of extra things I had to do:

• in dgvoodooSetup, tick 'Texmem scaled to 4mb', and set Texture mem size 65535 kB. This stopped textures changing randomly and incorrect sprites sometimes being drawn.
  • Install The Throttle and set it to 37%. This addresses the problem cash68 was having where AI cars would swerve side to side rapidly (I have not fine tuned this number, it just worked on that first go on an athlon xp 2600+).

This was in addition to previous advice of installing the Interstate '76 gold 1.2 update (i76gpat16.exe), installing the dgvoodoo wrapper to get high res, changing my CD drive letter to have the game recognise CD2, and finally enabling win98 compatibility mode on the i76.exe -glide shortcut, as I encountered the exception error a few missions in.

I did not personally require any sound or mission 13 fixes.

Reply 67 of 105, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can simply force heavy loads on your GPU. This also fixes AI problems for both I'76 and I'82.
Note: I have installed Service Pack 3 for XP and the install doesn't work anymore!!! Luckly I still have it installed. But anyway lets try to find a fix for that...

Reply 68 of 105, by xlynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi filipetolhuizen, what do you mean by forcing heavy loads on the GPU? I already have the I'76 detail maxed out. Did you mean by running another graphical process in the background? If so how would you ensure the load is consistent so the fps doesn't spike?

I would have thought the AI calculations would take place on the CPU since they're not graphical (and as evident by The Throttle working), but I guess the GPU could still be tied in there, as a slower CPU can't drive the GPU as fast.

I'm still on XP SP2 here. Have you tried the installer in 98 compatibility mode? Some people have also had to disable sound acceleration or (this sounds crazy) play an mp3 while launching the installer).

Reply 69 of 105, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tried the installer in compatibility mode but it didn't work too, it stays resident but doesn't open and when I force it to quit there's a wowexec.exe error saying something like the 16 bit subsystem can be unstable. About decreasing sound acceleration or playing a mp3 I tried but the install still won't start.

By GPU heavy loads I mean turning on every option that could slow it down in the control panel, like forcing maximum anti-aliasing, enabling v-sync... For example, Interstate '76 AI was corrected for me only by forcing 4x Anti-Aliasing (which made a noticeable drop in framerate when I ran it with the Glide wrapper with resolution override). Interstate '82 needed 16x Anti-Aliasing to work fine. I have an old Geforce 6800, so for some more powerful cards this method may not work properly. So, the key itself is to drop the game framerate, not the cpu clock.

Reply 70 of 105, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah folks, manual instalation for those who updated to service pack 3... luckly the game doesn't come compacted. Just copy the data folder to the HD and any remaining file the game might require and add the registry entry for i76.exe in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\I76.exe (adding the following sequence values -> (default): installed drive:\installed folder\i76.exe and Path: installed drive:\installed folder\) So you can install updates. The game should run fine.

Reply 71 of 105, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

By GPU heavy loads I mean turning on every option that could slow it down in the control panel, like forcing maximum anti-aliasing, enabling v-sync...

A more elegant solution would be to underclock the GPU.

There are many ways to do this on Nvidia cards. Coolbits, RivaTuner etc.
I'm sure there are similar solutions for AMD/ATI cards.

Reply 73 of 105, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please disconsider the install problem I told with sp3. After another boot it proceeded, but had the well-known crash while getting system information. Luckly there are some workarounds. 😀

Reply 76 of 105, by Iori Branford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MajorHavoc wrote:

Playing this with dual joysticks (scph-1110 w. USB converter)
Using hatswitch to aim out windows

I'm trying to play with a Dual Shock pad + USB adapter and it only works if I don't touch the control config.

If I try to bind the supposedly first joystick to Gas, Brake, Left and Right, it just tacks "Up", "Down", "Left", and "Right" onto whatever was already in those fields.

If I try to bind them to the second joystick, they get bound to a "Joystick3" (which is not my other Dual Shock pad), so Gas is "Joystick3 Up", etc.

I can edit input.map but it's not exactly convenient.

Reply 77 of 105, by Z06Modder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was a huge, huge fan of this game back in the day. I was part of the first clan, Clan Rod, and then later went on to join the Disco Vigilantes. I mention this only in case anyone in here remembers. My name back then was, first, Toecutter [CR], and then [DV] Dougery. If anyone remembers me, particularly Rockaho, Katana, The Jaff, Suicycle, and any others I played countless hours with online - give me a shout out!

Anyway..I got the game running on XP, although I am running a tower with no joystick port, so I am having to use my keyboard...which is particularly painful - cant use the handgun at all or well....and that was my anti-hack weapon. As far as servers for those desiring some online action (and I'd be more than game!), I believe a Red Hat Linux type setup is what we need.

I am patched up to 1.02, yet to install Nitro Pack, but will.

Jeff

Car aficionado

Reply 79 of 105, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can play Interstate '76 on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and 3!!

Very simple: just turn off the video acceleration in ControlPanel>Video>Advanced>Troubleshoting (set it to the second mark from the left to the right. If it does not work, disable ALL acceleration) and set the video to 16 bits (high-color)
Restart your PC to take all video settings properly (DO IT!!).
Turn off all the audio acceleration (it's a little tricky, since Windows set all the acceleration back when a playback is required, Windows does this automatically. The only thing you must do is click APPLY, then OK. Then re-open the window and let it open. That way, Windows will not reset configurations for audio acceleration)
Start the game in Software Mode (I dont remember if D3D works, try it.

There's another problem in the game that I could not solve: when you're playing, and you hit ESC to pause the game, lots of garbage appear on the screen and you musst exit the game with CTRL+Q
Try to pause ONLY IF YOU NEED hahahahaha

With that settings, I can play the original version and all expansion Packs, with movies, sound, CD Audio, missions and a lot of groovy '70s feel \o/
I remember one day (in early 2008) playing this game online with three people and it was working 100%.
I don't remember now how to set an online game. I will post it here later.

Looking for people to play online? PM me

Bye,
Diego