VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Full Tilt Pinball - registry problem W2k
Many people encountered part of this pinball game, because it was free with certain windows CD's. Windows 95 plus IIRC. Named Space Cadet 3D pinball or something. The full game with three hi-res tables is available at the underdogs:
http://www.the-underdogs.info
there is also a version 1.1 patch:
http://cd.textfiles.com/cream21/games/fullptch.zip

On windows 2000 the package refuses to install. But I archived the game after installing it on windows 98. And I also had to export the registry keys. (reg file attached to this post)
Bypassing regular installation, and renaming/removing the avi video, the game plays just fine on windows 2000. Yet when saving the highscores at exit, it writes the data incorrectly to the registry. To be specific: it truncates the last character of the strings. making the game lose track of it's location because it says: "****.ex" instead of "****.exe"

Making a shortcut to each of the three pinball table's executables and setting compatibility mode to windows 95 fixes this. Yet normally one uses the pinball table selection program that is included. In this case I can not start the games in windows 95 mode and the registry settings get messed up again.

anyone know of a more elegant fix?

Attachments

• Filename
    fulltiltreg.zip
    File size
    657 Bytes
    Downloads
    409 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

set both the game and the pinball table selection program to win95 mode? seriously why can't you do this?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so change the compatibility for each exe file.... i have found it to work fine in winXP natively.... only prob i have is that the vdeo's froze if i clicked the mouse thus i deleted thos vids and now the game starts fully sans the table selector program.

just make individual shortcuts to each games exe and set compatibility mode to win98/se.

edit: that link to the v1.1 patch is dead.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 4 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I will settle with doing it that way, nice to read you have tried the game too.

Concerning the truncated registry entries, It seems not a common issue, neither did I found a common fix. I suspect this to be a sole windows 2000 problem, and not a Win NT/XP problem anyways, i will verify this tomorrow.

I just checked the link to the patch and it works fine, otherwise just google for the filename.

please note that my post is not only regarding the registry problem, but also to write down the steps to get the game running on a more recent OS.

Reply 5 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

setting compatibility mode to win98/se (under winXP home sp2) runs the games fine.... i have found that win95 compatibility does work but screws full screen up.

i have windows XP home sp2.... thus i have tested it on a newer o/s... i have encountered your error (with the truncation of the registry value) and as such just gave up on the table selector exe file (fulltilt.exe) and just made a folder on my start menu containing links to each tables exe file directly.

edit: the link to the patch was dead at the time of my last post.

my website

Reply 6 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, thanks for the info!

I also have set it to win98 compat. mode, Earlier in Win95 mode it ran all features, but froze my computer once. win98 mode seems stable for as far as I have tested it now.
My OS is Win2000 Pro SP4 NL, with SP5 patch rollup.

here is another location with the same patch:
ftp://ftp.tu-dresden.de/pub/soft/SimTel/games … lt/fullptch.zip

For locations of the actual game use this search engine:
http://independent-software.jareks.net

I could attach the file to this message maybe, but the storage credit of this forum is not particularly high.

Reply 7 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes... the only prob i am currently experiencing with fulltilt.exe is that it lists the last game twice... ( the game selector lists games on a 2x2 grid instead of all three along the top row.)

my website

Reply 8 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought you stopped using the table selcetor fulltilt.exe, it is bound to give errors in your registry when starting the tables that way. I have also seen it display 4 tables earlier.

anyways, the solution is to manually modify the registry keys, deleting certain entries.

Reply 9 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

where does it store the keys that are used for this program?

my website

Reply 11 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah cinematronics.... never looked there... just looked under the maxis area and found nothing.

my website

Reply 12 of 16, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have WinXP SP2. With enabled compatibility settings for all files there is no problems for selector.
And video play fine - if not touched, or touched with esc. 😀 Mouse still freeze game on video. 😐

BTW, how many boards in full version? I have three...

Reply 13 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed three pinball tables in the full version; space cadet, dragon's keep and skulduggery.

The problem with the game does not show up when running it the first time. But when you played a game (without compat mode), exited the program and then restart it, it is bound to malfunction, because it messed up the registry entries.

Edit: I did not read your post properly, I see you did turn on compatibilty mode, so then you can indeed play the tables fine.
Except when using the table selector to execute the other tables, because it cannot be set to execute the three tables in compatibility mode too, as far as I know.

The four table situation occurs when it is writing to the registry in error, like adding a "dragonskee" table registry-key in addition to a "dragonskeep" key.

Last edited by gerwin on 2006-10-02, 15:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 16, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's strange. %)
Oh! Maybe it's because I not installs it? But not... Game read _correct_ registry, it's simply can't write it.

1. It can be played even without any compat. mode. But all scores and entries is in registry - if it's not correct, it will be not found. Any game is "first game" with clear high scores and, of course, launcher and other tables don't know about anothers. But no any mess.
2. When I _set_ compat. mode (Win98) for all four modules (launcher counts), I have absolutely "normal" game. Tested many times. 😀

And my question about tables was inspired by someone's reply about "four tables in row" %)

P.S. Space Cadet definitely have "God mode" or bug with the same meaning - it gives you infinite balls. Encounter already twice, don't know how it activates. %) Both times was when I suppose to have several "spare lifes" (after several strings "Extra life!"). Maybe this fact is produce bug, I don't know...

Reply 15 of 16, by bwn1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the simplest fix guys n gals... launcher comes up with error right as files are exe and not ex? simply rename cadet.exe to cadet.ex. and skull n pirates as well to .ex...pretty simples. however run each game as .exe first, outside of the fulltilt.exe launcher...im on win 10 n launcher works fine, also each game runs. since i changed the exe files to ex instead. my only issue is the wen u open a game up in window mode or go full screen n its screwed up.the resolution... yet fulltilt 2 shows window mode perfect n fullscreen perfect... so atm im trying to work out how to fix the resolution issue, in FullTilt 1 games...for the games i have, i dont need to run in compat mode watsoever. and yes there are cheats for cadet, etc giving u extra balls n wat not, but ofcourse the game does not save ur scores still. even if u cheat.

Reply 16 of 16, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bwn1986 wrote on 2022-01-17, 04:47:

how to fix the resolution issue, in FullTilt 1 games

Try compatibility mode (Windows98SE at least) and something like scaling in your drivers. Or rather _no_ scaling. In my NVidia it's at the 3D settings - Scaling - Disabled. Helped me with old Mystery Case Files that otherwise either broke the screen, or work in tiny 800x600 window.