VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Athalos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Freaks. I was asking if anyone had a file to help me re-create my GK2 Disk One - "RESSCI.001"

And DosFreak, I ain't pushin no warez. Mods like you pi$$ me off when someone has a working idea that you didn't think of and you close the thread.You're nothin' but a web peon.

As for you 'warez' idea, others like Windows DLL Archive (www.windll.com), and DriverGuide (www.driverguide.com), do exactly what I started doing.. that is backing up and making available important files that are very hard to find, (sometimes near impossible if your damaged cd - like mine - can't be recovered).

The only difference is that I'm doing it specifically for games.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can ask for help in getting files for your games on boards but any links to such files will be deleted and the thread will be closed. All such communications should be private.

As for "my" warez idea. I'm glad it pisses you off. It pisses me off that dumb ***** can't read the bottom of the damn page.

This site hosts no abandonware. There is no material that is knowingly illegal here.

This also goes for any sites linked or mentioning distribution of your so called "resource files". Heck, I daresay that ANY file owned by the company on the disk cannot be distributed but I am hardly a lawyer.

From the Morrowind license.txt which is pretty standard for all commercial games:

1. LIMITED LICENSE:
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You are entitled to use the Products, in executable form, for Your own personal, non-commercial use. You may not sell or transfer reproductions of any of the Products or Documentation, or any other part of the Package to other parties in any way. You may use one copy of the Products solely on a single terminal connected to a single computer. You may not network any of the Products (or any part thereof) or otherwise use them on more than one computer or computer terminal at the same time.

Is it really that hard to understand? If so then don't come back here. These boards are not for you. Try Underdogs/Abandonia/Dosgames....they MIGHT like your idea. I doubt it tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While the DLLs might be considered just part of the engine, the resource files ARE the game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 4, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak, Athalos asked for 1 file and not the entire game (which he and anyone could get in many places, legally or not, and not bother post for it here). You can assume he has original bad cd, or he stole it, anything. Anyway, as moderator you can ban him or close posts because of your reasons, but you can't insult him by calling him 'ass' because you're assuming something.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover has the final say, but I think it's pretty clear that this forum is not for trading in game files which may contain proprietary, copyrighted, non-free code or data, period. This policy is not in place to annoy forumgoers, but rather to keep overzealous lawyers off Snover's back so that this forum can stay up.

collector: DLLs from games are NOT legal to trade/copy/sell/share/etc. unless their ultimate owner gives permission. Even if it's part of some generic engine (e.g. Miles Sound System), the developer probably licensed it from someone else who owns it and has final say on distribution rights.

It's true that companies sometimes release the source code to their engines for free use, while retaining all rights to the resource files (levels, artwork, sound, music, models, etc.), but engine files are still just as proprietary as resource files unless the developer has stated otherwise.