Common searches

Help with X-Com TFTD on XP

Topic actions

First post, by X-ComTFTDonXP?

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I bought a CD version of X-Com Terror From The Deep but when I played it ran far too fast.

So I've just downloaded DOSBox-0.63 and was hoping it would slow it down somewhat. When I try to play it using DosBox with the terror.bat file (that I normally use to play it) it comes up with this error:

Unable to change to: \MPS\TFTD.
Illegal command: TERRORCD.

The thing is though I checked the page that lists all of the games and X-Com TFTD is supported (with 0.62 - I'm running 0.63 Could that be the problem?) yet I can't seem to get it to work. I've read both the pictorial newbie guide and the readme file.

I'm running it on XP with an AMD Sempron 1.5GHz processor with 768MB Ram. This is how I've approached it so far:

I installed the game from the CD. I installed DosBox 0.63. I opened dosbox and wrote:
mount C C:\MPS <-This is the directory that the game is in
C:
terror

Which is when it comes up with the afforementioned error.

I also approached it another way. I tried running it straight from the CD. In this case I typed:
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
D:
terrorcd

This works just fine until it gets to the point where you enter a mission in Battlescape when it asks if I would like to enter the mission and I hit 'yes' it crashes (the screen freezes and I can't press any buttons yet the cursor is still able to move).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Reply 1 of 33, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
X-ComTFTDonXP? wrote:
I installed the game from the CD. I installed DosBox 0.63. I opened dosbox and wrote: mount C C:\MPS <-This is the directory tha […]
Show full quote

I installed the game from the CD. I installed DosBox 0.63. I opened dosbox and wrote:
mount C C:\MPS <-This is the directory that the game is in
C:
terror

Which is when it comes up with the afforementioned error.

I also approached it another way. I tried running it straight from the CD. In this case I typed:
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
D:
terrorcd

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\
c:
cd mps
terror

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 33, by spaz1755

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, so i'm new with this whole dosbox thing and I really can't get TFTD to work. I've tried doing what you suggested to the previous person (with modified folders to the ones on my computer), and the game crashes as soon as I hit enter after typing in terror. I have the game saved in C:\OLDGAMES\TFTD and my cdrom is my e:\ drive. Thank you for any help you provide because I feel awfully noobish.

Reply 5 of 33, by spaz1755

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's some pictures of what happens when I try to TFTD. Hopefull they show what is happening... 😒

Attachments

• geoscape_001.png
    Filename
    geoscape_001.png
    File size
    3.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Then this page cycles over and over until I exit
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • geoscape_000.png
    Filename
    geoscape_000.png
    File size
    2.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This shows up when I try to run it.
    File license

Reply 6 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the first screenshot it looks like the game is looking for executable in the SOUND and UFOEXE directories but are unable to find them.

Can you post EVERYTHING that you type into DosBox to get the above errors?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 33, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way. DOS4GW 1.95 is quite old. You should try replacing it with version 1.97 or, better, DOS32A 7.35 - Search the forum for info.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 33, by spaz1755

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry it took me a while to reply, but my power was out do to construction. Alright here's what I type in when I try to run the program. Would the old version really be the problem?

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    5.46 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Try mounting c to c:\oldgames instead of c:\oldgames\tftd. On a real DOS machine you wouldn't be installing games to your root directory, so you shouldn't set it up that way in DOSBox.
2. Make sure that the mount settings (for both the hard drive and CD drive) to install the game from the CD are the same settings that you use to play the game. Otherwise the game will probably get confused about where things are in the virtual DOSBox environment.

Reply 13 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's best to install from inside of DOSBox. If you don't then you're going to have to edit config files to tell the game where to find the CD and installation directory while running inside of DOSBox (unless you mount c c:\ and mount f f:\ -t cdrom so that the same settings and paths will apply to both Windows and DOSBox)

Reply 14 of 33, by spaz1755

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured out how to install it through dosbox and it now runs perfectly! 😁 One last question though. I looked into dos32A 7.35 and I found and downloaded it, but I'm not really sure what to do with it. Ran a installer for 7.10, and updated that program to 7.35, but I'm not sure if that did anything. Is there something else I have to do?

Reply 16 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

We need DETAILS mrray. Download DB-INFO.BAT and save it to your game directory (next to the game). Then instead of running the game, run DB-INFO.BAT and post the info here (either write it down, or take screenshots with CTRL-F5 or ALT-PrtScr).

OBS: If you post the screenshots here, please save them as GIF or PNG files, not BMP or JPEG.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 17 of 33, by mrray

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the game is in c:\mps\tftd\

the cd drive is a matshita dvd-ram uj-820s

I hope this is what you need

Attachments

• untitled.png
    Filename
    untitled.png
    File size
    16.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • untitled2.png
    Filename
    untitled2.png
    File size
    20.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • untitled3.png
    Filename
    untitled3.png
    File size
    20.64 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You haven't mounted your CD 😀

Try this (in DOSBox):

Z:\>mount D X:\ -t cdrom

(where X is the drive-letter assigned to your Matshita DVD)

You should get a reply from DOSBox saying:

MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom X:\

I can also see that you are using CPU core = normal, and CPU cycles = 3000.

You should increase the CPU cycles to maybe 10000, or 20000 (exact number depends on how fast your PC is):

Z:> config -set cpu cycles 10000

You should also try

Z:> config -set cpu core dynamic

The dynamic CPU option is faster than normal.

Then start your game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 19 of 33, by mrray

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what i put in to dos box and what happens when i tell it to run terror.
It runs in win95 compatability mode but at an incredible speed even on 5 sec timing.

I have tried increasing the number of cycles and changing to dynamic cpu core but dos box still crashes (at pic 2)when "terror" is run.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    Filename
    untitled.png
    File size
    11.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • untitled2.png
    Filename
    untitled2.png
    File size
    21.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by mrray on 2007-02-28, 20:38. Edited 2 times in total.