VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am setting up V.T.M.R. on Windows 98 SE (98Lite) with the official 3dfx beta drivers (or improved open gl support.) I am using the Voodoo5 because it is otherwise not being used, is the "best" 3dfx card I have, and can do 32-bit color, unlike the previous Voodoos (Voodoo4 notwithstanding.) I also tested the system after installing everything, using Unreal Tournament (which played GREAT!) However, in these games, I am unable to select 32-bit color resolutions. I know that I was able to do so in a Pentium III build using the V5 (though I admit I do not recall which drivers I was using.) I downloaded and installed V.Control and checked the force 32-bit rendering option but can still only choose 16-bit color. I looked through the 3dfx tools options and unless I am blind (I am aging, after all and the eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, hehehe) or overlooked it, I don't see any option referring to color depth.

What am I missing? How can I fix this? I would like to utilize 32-bit color in every game that I can.

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 2 of 2, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I have to figure out why it is running choppily - I know that the Voodoo5 isn't as bad ass as some make it out to be (well, the 3fdx version, not the modern remake of the 6000 which I am sure *IS* bad ass,) but the recommended requirements are a P2 233. Recommended is a P III w/ 128mb of RAM. I am using a K6-III+@600Mhz w/128MB RAM, and have the graphics of Vampire cranked up all of the way but only at 640x480. I remember trying this game out on a P3 450 w/ a Voodoo3 b ack in the day and having no trouble.