VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Half-Life is one of those games still in my wayback log - sacrilege right!? Even though the enhanced Steam version would certainly be the easy approach, I prefer a mostly vanilla experience on my primary gaming desktop.

So far I've installed the following:
Half-Life (Retail/WON) v1.1.1.0
Resolution/FOV/MP3 Patch by UCyborg

My setup:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Creative X-Fi Titanium

The main issue I'm having is adding HL to Alchemy for EAX, results in stuttering / crackling audio.
Anybody know how to fix it?

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 3, by Crank9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
simbin wrote:

The main issue I'm having is adding HL to Alchemy for EAX, results in stuttering / crackling audio.
Anybody know how to fix it?

As far as I know Alchemy emulates EAX by translating old Directsound to OpenAL, so you could try to install the latest OpenAL and see does that help: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/10-openal/

If that doesn't help then I don't know what else you could try, other than play the game on Windows XP since your soundcard has hardware support for EAX.

Reply 2 of 3, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to change ALchemy settings for Half-Life; set Buffers to 5 and Duration to 10.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3 of 3, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote:

You need to change ALchemy settings for Half-Life; set Buffers to 5 and Duration to 10.

Thanks so much, works perfectly! Didn't even consider changing defaults - ALchemy newbie 😀

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC