VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if anyone can help me. I've been trying to run TR5, but it simply won't load. I get the XP message that goes, "The program has found a problem and will be shut down", having the following info:

AppName: pctomb5.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0002544d

...which might be as good as nothing, but might be useful, I don't know.

Have WinXP Pro, Service Pack 2, my PC is a Celeron 2.40GHz with 512MBs of RAM... am I forgetting any info re my specs?

BTW, I have tried the XP patches, and also changing the compatibility mode for the executable - no go. I'm also running Norton AntiVirus (and I don't know how to turn it off), eMule, QuickTime, Trillian, GetRight, Hare and AntiCrash.

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 1 of 3, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
redruM wrote:

I wonder if anyone can help me. I've been trying to run TR5, but it simply won't load. I get the XP message that goes, "The program has found a problem and will be shut down.

BTW, I have tried the XP patches, and also changing the compatibility mode for the executable - no go. I'm also running Norton AntiVirus (and I don't know how to turn it off), eMule, QuickTime, Trillian, GetRight, Hare and AntiCrash.

Norton AntiVirus (to turn it off, right click the systray icon and disable it), eMule, QuickTime : I have them too, they don't interfere. The others, I dunno.

What I would do :
uninstall, reinstall TR5, compatibility mode Win9x, install gospelgeek's patch for WinXP, that worked for me at least.
Hth.

Reply 2 of 3, by redruM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gospelgeek's? Which is that? I found several XP patches, but I think they're all the same. I got mine from... er, www.tombraiderchronicles.com or something - don't hold me to it, something of the sort.

EDIT - Nevermind, I googled for it, and it seems to be the same one. Well, thanks, but it didn't help - still no go.

EDIT 2 - Ah, got it! Heh. Hadn't tried of trying "Windows NT Service Pack 4" compatibility... thanks!

"I think you're the fucking antichrist."
--Donnie Darko

Reply 3 of 3, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
redruM wrote:

Hadn't tried of trying "Windows NT Service Pack 4" compatibility...

I should have thought of that 😊

That's most likely because of your WinXP Pro, as opposed to Home which is my version 😎