VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ordered an Easy Bake Kitchen Playset from eBay. It's for my 4 year old niece who loves to play computer games, especially games where she can actually do stuff like coloring or drawing. I thought this would be perfect for her. The playset comes with a PC game that's called Easy Bake Kitchen. The playset straps onto the keyboard, and you can use the playset while you play the game. There's an electric mixer that you can tap on the mixing bowl which will make the electric mixer in the game mix all the ingredients in the mixing bowl. There's an egg that you can tap on the mixing bowl which will make an egg in the game crack on a mixing bowl, and then the contents of the egg will land into the mixing bowl. Here's a YouTube video that shows how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8us5_oqYacE

The problem is that I can't get the game to work. The seller who sold me the playset doesn't have the game CD. He told me to download it. I found another seller on eBay who has the game, and he shipped it today. It should arrive by October 3. When I start the game, I get an error message that says "Video not available, cannot find 'vids:IV32' decompressor." I'm running the game on an LG Gram 17 laptop that I got from Costco. It has Windows 11 Home 64 bit installed on it. I joined the Windows Insider Program so I can get all of the latest updates. Here is a link that has the specs for my laptop. https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-17z90n-r.aac … tra-slim-laptop

I have tried installing the Indeo 5 codecs, but it says my computer already has the latest codecs. I tried installing the K-Lite Mega codec pack, but that didn't make a difference. What else can I try?

Reply 1 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if this will help, but the same error is mentioned here with a registry fix for Windows 8.1/10 in post #5. You could check in Windows 11 for the file paths listed in the registry fix to verify if the files are still included or not. I'm still using Windows 10 so can't check that.

Reply 2 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked the registry on my Windows 11 laptop. I saw that there's VIDC.IV41 like it says on line 13 in post #5, but it points to ir41_32.ax. There's C:\WINDOWS\system32\ir50_32original.dll, and it points to Indeo video 5.10, just like line 16 in post #5. There's vidc.iv50, and it points to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ir50_32original.dll , just like line 19 in post #5. There's C:\WINDOWS\system32\iac25_32.ax, and it points to Indeo audio software, just like line 4 in post #5. There's msacm.iac2, and it points to C:\WINDOWS\system32\iac25_32.ax, just like line 7 in post #5.

I also have a Windows 10 laptop. I checked the registry, but none of the files in post #5 are there. I tried installing the Indeo 5 codecs, but it says that the computer already has the latest ones. The Windows 10 laptop is an ASUS G75VW-TS72. It has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed on it. It has an Intel Core i7-3610QM processor with 16GB of RAM. It has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M video card.

Reply 3 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disclaimer: Microsoft disabled Indeo due to a security vulnerability. Proceed at you own risk.

Sorry about that, let's continue.

Since you didn't mention finding it, open File Explorer and see if the file ir32_32original.dll exists and which folder it's located in. On my system that file is in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. So it may be there or in C:\Windows\System32. If your file is in SysWOW64, replace "System32" with "SysWOW64" in the registry fix below before using it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]
"C:\\Windows\\System32\\ir32_32original.dll"="Intel Indeo(R) Video R3.2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32original.dll"

If that file doesn't exist, you can download it from here and add it to one of those folders. Make sure it's one of the Intel files listed at the bottom. Also don't forget to remove "original" from the filename strings in the registry fix .

Reply 4 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my Windows 11 laptop, there's ir32_32original.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. There's ir32_32original.dll in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-vcm-core-codecs_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.25206.1000_none_e95f5c12c509048f. When I check the registry, none of the entries in the registry fix are there. I even used the search option, but it didn't find anything.

On my Windows 10 laptop, there's ir32_32original.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. There's ir32_32original.dll in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-vcm-core-codecs_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.1_none_c6753311bf6fdf3d. When I check the registry , none of the entries in the registry fix are there. I even used the search option, but it didn't find anything.

Reply 5 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay cool. As long as you have ir32_32original.dll on your system, the registry fix should help.

Download and extract the attached zip archive and run IndeoFix.reg to add the strings to the registry.

Basically you are just registering the codec to enable Windows to play the videos in the game. I had to do the same thing on Windows 10 to get videos to play in an old racing game called Pod. 😀

Edit: It just occured to me that someone might try to use the attached file to enable videos in Pod since I mentioned that. Pod uses "Indeo® video 4.5" (ir41_32.dll or ir41_32original.dll), so the .reg file would need to be modified to work in that game.

Attachments

• Filename
    IndeoFix.zip
    File size
    361 Bytes
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've never heard of Pod, but then again I haven't played any racing games besides Mario Kart. One of my cousins used to play F-Zero on the Super Nintendo. I tried to play it, but it was so hard. I kept crashing.

The IndeoFix.reg worked wonders. The videos in the game played flawlessly, but then the game crashed after the videos were over. The screen went black, so I clicked on the touchpad to see if I could continue. I got an error message that said "EBAuto MFC Application is not responding." This happened on my Windows 11 laptop.

I tried running IndeoFix.reg on my Windows 10 laptop, and it worked just great. The videos in the game played flawlessly, and when they were over, I was able to start playing.

I think I might know what the issue is. I was looking up information about the Indeo codec to find out more about it, and Wikipedia mentioned the game Police Quest: SWAT 2. I did a Google search, and I saw that gog.com has Police Quest SWAT 1 and 2 as a bundle. gog.com has a lot of classic games. They even have POD. They also have a lot of the newer games. I bought several games from them. Anyway, on the product page for Police Quest: SWAT 1 and 2, it says "SWAT 2 doesn't support integrated Intel video devices (including those found on netbooks)." My Windows 11 laptop has an integrated Intel video card, Intel Iris Plus Graphics to be exact. My Windows 10 laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M) , and I'm guessing the game prefers that over the integrated Intel graphics card that's on my Windows 11 laptop.

Reply 7 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, the only Nintendo consoles I've had are the NES and Gamecube (I'm more of a Sega fan heh), but F-Zero GX on the Gamecube is one of my favorites.

I'm glad that helped you get the game working on at least one of your laptops.

Integrated graphics can be hit or miss. Before I installed a graphics card, I tried to run the Blood source port NBlood and that only worked with my integrated graphics in software mode. It works great in OpenGL on my Nvidia card though.

You might be able to get the game working with integrated graphics using dgVoodoo2 if that is the cause of the error. I use it to fix or enhance many old games (which I'm very grateful to Dege for btw.) 😀

If you Google dgVoodoo2 there are many sites and YouTube videos that have more info if you're interested in trying it. It's very popular.

Reply 8 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using dgVoodoo2, and the game still crashes after the intro videos are over. I looked on Google, but most of the information is about using it to get 3D games to work. I'm trying to fix a 2D game so that it runs on my Windows 11 laptop with integrated graphics. I'm grateful though for your help. Like you said, at least it works on my Windows 10 laptop. That's what counts.

I only have Nintendo consoles and Sony consoles. I only played on the Sega Genesis once at a friend's house. I tried to play Sonic the Hedgehog, and it was difficult for me.

Reply 9 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No worries, I wasn't sure if dgVoodoo2 would help, just thought it might be worth a shot.

By the way, I still have a Dreamcast and PS2 hooked up, but mostly play PC games and use emulators these days.

Anyway, I hope your niece enjoys playing the game. 😀

Reply 10 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think she will enjoy it very much, especially because I ordered the playset to go with it. It's not easy to find the playset. There aren't that many out there. I was lucky to find a used one on eBay. That was the only playset available on eBay. I'm now trying to find a rolling pin because the rolling pin that usually comes with the playset is missing from the used playset that I ordered. The funny thing is that when I was looking for rolling pins on eBay, I saw that somebody is selling a used playset, and the rolling pin is missing.

I have a PS2 in my garage, and I don't use it that much. It makes a high pitched sound when I turn it on, and the fan is very noisy. I don't know if it can be fixed or not. I'm thinking of using an emulator to play the PS2 games that are sitting in the garage, and I often think how nice it would be if they could be remastered or ported to the PS4 or PS5. I don't play PC games that much on my LG Gram 17 laptop that has Windows 11 installed on it. The integrated Intel graphics card can't handle games with high-end graphics. It's mostly intended for light gaming. I'm really happy with it though. I've had it for 2 years, and it's very reliable.

I have been reading about LG laptops that have good graphics cards. I'm thinking of getting one. What brand do you like for PCs?

Reply 11 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, just keep trying. Hopefully you'll find the rolling pin. You could just keep searching for a complete set. Then keep the one you've already bought for spare parts, or maybe sell it later.

The only thing my PS2 does (which I suppose is normal, but still seems odd) is it hums when playing CD-ROM games. DVD-ROM games don't do that. I'm just glad it still works since I bought it in 2001. I have PCSX2, but can only run some of the less demanding games. My CPU isn't fast enough to run games like Gran Turismo 4.

I'm still using a pretty old PC and have never owned a laptop, so I'm not the best person to be giving advice on that. I've been happy using ASUS desktops and monitors though for what it's worth. Of course, Korean companies like LG (and Korea in general) have a reputation for quality products too. Maybe I'm a bit biased since I watch ArirangTV a lot even though I'm not Korean heh. You can't go wrong with Nvidia for graphics though.

Reply 12 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a rolling pin. It's part of an Easy Bake Oven set from Hasbro that I ordered on eBay today. I found a complete set on OfferUp. It's the only set that's on there. The seller only has it listed for pickup.

I always liked Nvidia. I always had a computer that came with a Nvidia graphics card. I also really like LG. I have a LG TV, a LG refrigerator, and a LG laptop. The Windows 10 laptop I'm using to play the game is an ASUS. I've had it since 2012, and it still works really well. It's not eligible to be upgraded to Windows 11 though. I'm thinking of installing a Linux operating system on it after Windows 10 is no longer being supported.

I've heard of PCSX2. I used it one time to play a Japanese PS2 game called Tales of Destiny. It took some tweaking to get the game to run smoothly. The intro video kept stalling, but the intro song would keep on playing. I had a newer computer, so I don't know what the issue was. I played around with the settings until it worked. I watched the intro several times until it played all the way through. The intro song is very catchy, so I didn't mind. Here's a YouTube video of it if you want to listen to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZskBXef0Zyk

Reply 13 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice. I remember seeing Easy Bake Oven commercials in the 70s while watching Kimba and Speed Racer heh. I figured they were new at the time like a lot of the other toys, but apparently they've been around since the 60s.

I've only had one Radeon card. It was okay, but it didn't render graphics in certain games as well as Nvidia cards. It may have been the drivers as the card itself seemed well made. It was an older one made by Sapphire before AMD bought ATI, so that's probably irrelevant now. I still play those games though, so I'm not taking any chances. I really liked ATI Tray Tools though.

It's been a while since I've used Linux. I still have Debian Sarge with KDE installed in Virtual PC on my old XP computer. I used that sometimes for web surfing before programs like Sandboxie came out. I'm grateful to have WineD3D for fixing certain games and wouldn't be surprised if some games run in Linux with less problems than in Windows.

PCSX2 is a pretty demanding emulator depending on the game (probably not for newer CPUs though.) Dreamcast emulation is much less demanding. I can run Flycast at 4X internal resolution which looks fantastic, but can only run PCSX2 at 2X. It still looks pretty decent though.

I've never played Tales of Destiny, but I like that song. Thanks for posting it. I like the music in the US intro too. 😀

Reply 14 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've heard of Kimba the White Lion, but I haven't watched it yet. I never heard of Speed Racer. I don't recall seeing Easy Bake Oven commercials on TV when I was a kid, and I didn't see it in the stores either. I used to have a McDonald's Shake Maker because I used to love McDonald's. I didn't like the milk shakes that much from the Shake Maker, so I gave it away.

I never heard of Sapphire or ATI. I'm only familiar with AMD and NVIDIA. I'm always interested to learn more about the background history though.

I have WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) installed on my Windows 11 laptop. It's through Microsoft, and I can run any Linux distro through it. It's like a virtual machine. I'm not an expert in Linux though. I just fiddle around with it to see if any of my old games will work with Wine. I keep checking for the latest version of Wine to see if it will support any of my old games.

I'll have to try Flycast. There's a Dreamcast game I would like to play that my friend recommended. It's called Skies of Arcadia. He said it's supposed to be really good.

I'm glad you liked the song from Tales of Destiny. I wanted to play the PS2 remaster that was only released in Japan because I didn't really like the sprites in the US version, which is for the PS1. The US intro is really nice though.

Reply 15 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No worries. Shows like Kimba, Speed Racer and Marine Boy were the anime of my youth. I didn't start watching Dragonball until I was much older. It's hard to keep up with it all these days, but one of my favorite anime movies is Vampire Hunter D.

I was into Star Wars action figures. I even sent away for Boba Fett and Bossk heh. I saw them going for crazy prices at Star Trek conventions years later. I wish I still had them.

Here's an article I saved the link to long ago about graphics card history. It's pretty interesting.

From Voodoo to GeForce: The Awesome History of 3D Graphics | PC Gamer

I'd probably be using Linux if I wasn't into games. Getting them to work right in Windows can be tough enough sometimes as it is. I still try to keep up with Linux somewhat by watching ExplainingComputers and stuff. Getting the sound in Linux to work in Virtual PC certainly was a challenge.

Skies of Arcadia is one of the Dreamcast games I've never played. I was one of those Playstation owners that decided to wait for PS2 to come out and didn't buy a DC at launch. That was really stupid of me heh. Since I waited like a year to buy one and the console was discontinued a year later, games became scarce pretty quick, so I never managed to get that one. My favorite DC game is Phantasy Star Online. I still play the PC version sometimes on Sylverant.

Sorry, I was a bit confused about Tales of Destiny at first. I didn't realize it was on both consoles until I looked it up on Wikipedia. I'm loving those AI upscaled game intros like the Tales of Destiny one I posted before. I found an AI upscaled version of the intro for PS2, but sadly the music gets dropped half way through due to copyright.

Reply 16 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I was a kid, I used to watch anime shows on Nickelodeon. They would always show Maya the Bee, The World of David the Gnome, The Noozles, The Adventures of Little Koala, Littl' Bits, and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. On the Fox channel I occasionally watched Saban's Adventures of the Little Mermaid. Sometimes Nickelodeon snuck in a cartoon movie instead of the usual Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics. One time they showed this bizarre Cinderella movie with lizards that play rock and roll, and the wicked stepmother and stepsisters looked hideous. I have been looking for it for years because I wanted to see it again, even though I had thought it was weird and stupid as a kid. I don't know why I didn't turn off the TV, or change the channel. For some reason I wanted to see what happens next. I finally found it today on YouTube. Here's the link if you want to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fIP483IPyg&l … 0PrOe3Ul4AaABAg

I haven't watched all of the Star Wars movies. I have only seen The Empire Strikes Back, and the very first one. One time I watched one of my cousins playing Star Wars: Rebel Assault.

Thank you for the article. I added it to my favorites so I could read it later.

I never heard of ExplainingComputers. I subscribed to his channel, and I'll check out some of his videos. I know what you mean about getting games to work right in Windows. I have a game called TKKG 4: The Secret of Dragon Claw Manor, and I can't get it to work. I tried to play it in VirtualBox with Windows XP, and it crashed at a certain point. I tried to play it with Sheepshaver, a Mac emulator, and it crashed at the same spot. I tried getting it to run with Wine, but I got an error message that says it can't run because of a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. I checked the Application Database on the Wine website, and it says they have trouble getting the TKKG games to run.

I never knew about the Sega Dreamcast. I saw it for the first time when I was at a friend's house. It belonged to her son, and he and I played Gauntlet Legends together. My brothers used to play Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube. We got the Broadband Adapter so they could play online, but we couldn't get it to work. I read about the GameCube version of Skies of Arcadia in a gaming magazine, but it didn't interest me at the time. Same thing with another GameCube game called Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean.

I tried to find another AI upscaled version. The same guy who uploaded the video where the music gets dropped half way uploaded another one where the music loops to avoid the copyright issue. Another guy tried to upload one, but it got blocked right away. He provided a link to it, but it has expired unfortunately. I found an HD video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_VRkAAJgE

Somebody has created HD texture packs for a whole bunch of games like Skies of Arcadia and Baten Kaitos. https://sites.google.com/view/vierockretrohd/accueil

Somebody has translated Tales of Destiny for the PS2. https://github.com/lifebottle/Tales-of-Destiny-DC

Reply 17 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I could only watch over the air TV as a kid, so I'm not familiar with most of the shows you mentioned. Local channels aired some cool stuff back in the day though, like Hashimoto-san, Tex Avery, etc.. There were some wacky live action shows too like H.R. Pufnstuf and Land of the Lost. That Cinderella movie is bizarre. I dig stuff like that though. Thanks for the link.

That's cool. I've always been a fan of science fiction like Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc.. It's funny you should mention Rebel Assault. Just recently I watched some version comparison videos of that game.

Sure no problem. I'm glad PC Gamer is still around. I used to read Computer Gaming World too, but it's been gone for some time. Luckily, there's an archive of the issues here.

Yeah, ExplainingComputers is sort of my modern replacement for The Screen Savers on TechTV heh.

Anyway, I used Windows XP longer than most people, so by the time I started using Windows 10, there were already fixes for a lot of games. I'm not familiar with TKKG 4. It's not on pcgamingwiki and there doesn't seem to be much information about getting it to work. Maybe you could start another thread asking for help.

I never tried to use the Gamecube online. I didn't have that many games for it. I played the Dreamcast online quite a bit though. Being able to download saves and VMU games was also cool. I never had the Broadband Adapter though, so it was a bit laggy sometimes. I got pwned big time by BGD clan LPBs in Q3A heh. All good fun.

Cool. That's better than the other one you linked to. I looked for other versions of that intro too, but didn't find that one. 720p is fine with me anyway since I'm not using a big monitor.

By the way, I don't know if you're familiar with Robotech, but while searching I found an AI upscaled intro that's worth checking out for one of the Dreamcast imports I have called Macross M3. I might not have found it otherwise, so thanks. 😀

I'll have to try some of those HD texture packs when I get a better PC someday. My graphics card only has 2GB VRAM.

Wow, I can't imagine how much work must have gone into translating that game. That's amazing.

Reply 18 of 19, by philthethrill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never heard of Hashimoto-San. The only cartoons I saw with a mouse when I was a kid were Tom and Jerry and Speedy Gonzales from Loony Tunes. There was also Pinky and the Brain, but I never watched it. I never heard of Tex Avery, and I haven't seen any of his cartoons. I saw the movie Pufnstuf on the Disney Channel when I was a kid, but I never knew it was also a TV show. Here's a link to the Pufnstuf movie if you want to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf40gZHD08E

I never heard of Land of the Lost. I'm glad you liked the Cinderella movie. There's another fairy tale movie I saw once on the Disney Channel when I was a kid. It's called The Magic Riddle. It's a mixture of fairy tales. It's Cinderella meets the Seven Dwarfs, Little Red Riding Hood, The Ugly Duckling, Three Little Pigs, and Pinocchio. Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters provide comic relief throughout the entire movie. They're wacky and weird. Here's the link if you want to watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHfVAx1qAI

I haven't watched Star Trek that much. I watched it occasionally with my dad on TV, and I saw the movie Star Trek Beyond with a few friends. I never heard of Babylon 5. I saw the movie Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure twice on TV when it was on the Disney Channel. Here's the trailer for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwX5LDteo4

Which version of Rebel Assault did you like better? I saw a YouTube video where they compared the GOG version of Rebel Assault 2 with the PS1 version. I liked the GOG version better. It was much brighter, and more detailed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOnFBG5eJhk

I played a RPG game on the PS4 Pro called Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. It was so much fun I couldn't put it down. It took me a month to finish it. It was a very long game, but it was so much fun. That was 4 years ago. Another version called Dragon Quest XI S came out for the Nintendo Switch a year later. They added a lot of new content, but the graphics quality was degraded because the Switch can't handle anything higher than 1080p. I watched a comparison video on YouTube, and I saw that the PS4 Pro version was far superior in quality, so I felt it wasn't worth it to play the Switch version, even with the extra content. Here's the video if you want to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_YeuubHOdQ

Thanks for the link for the Computer Gaming World magazine archive. I think I saw the Computer Gaming World magazine when I used to flip through the gaming magazines at my local bookstore, which sadly closed down in January of this year. It was in walking distance of my house, and it was fun to go there and browse.

I never heard of TechTV. I only had COX, and after that DirecTV. Now I do streaming through my LG TV or PS5. There are The Screen Savers episodes on YouTube. That's cool that they had Steve Wozniak on the show. I heard about him from a friend, but I didn't know much about him.

I started another thread to ask for help with TKKG4. No response yet, but that's okay. I can wait. There's a program called ScummVM that plays some of the older games, and the team behind it is often updating it so that it can support more games. It will be a while though before it supports the TKKG games. Here's the link for the ScummVM program. A compatibility list of the games it can run is on the website. https://www.scummvm.org/

The VMU for the Dreamcast sounds so cool. Nintendo did something similar with the GameCube. There were a few GameCube games where you could use the GameBoy Advance. One of them was The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. You could use the GameBoy Advance to buy items to help Link on his adventure. Another one was The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. When you played with other people, you would all use GameBoy Advances as controllers. You would each play as Link in a different colored tunic, and when you dove underwater or entered a cave, you would see the action on the GameBoy Advance screen. Once you came back to the surface or exited the cave, you would continue playing on the big screen. That was a lot of fun.

I haven't tried first person shooters like Q3A because I don't think I'd be that good at it.

I looked at both of the videos that I linked to, and you're right. The HD video is much better. It's clearer, sharper, and more vibrant.

The Macross M3 video is mind blowing. That was awesome. That was way cooler than any intro I've ever seen. Thanks for showing that to me. It reminds me of the movie Redline. A friend of mine let me borrow it, but I haven't watched the whole thing yet, just bits and pieces. Here's the trailer for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

I would like to try the HD texture pack for Dragon Quest VIII, but I don't want to start over. I made a lot of progress when I played it on the PS2. I only stopped because my PS2 was making a lot of noise. If I could transfer my save file over, I would continue playing. If Square-Enix ever remasters it for the PS5, then I would start over just to see it all in glorious 4K.

I really admire people who take the time to translate games so that the rest of us can play them. I wouldn't be able to do what they do.

Reply 19 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hashimoto-san is cool, but it wasn't on much. The programs were shown somewhat randomly back then. They still show Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes on Boomerang, but I kind of wish they showed Terrytoons and Tex Avery cartoons, they were funny too. I didn't know there was a Pufnstuf movie. Great quality too. Thanks.

The only thing I watched on the Disney channel was Dumbo. I think someone at the controls hit the wrong button because I never saw another old Disney film like that listed on their channel guide.

That's cool. I've never heard of The Magic Riddle or Caravan of Courage. I'll have to check those out later.

At the time, I only played Rebel Assault on SegaCD. The PC version looks much better. I haven't compared those to the Mac or 3DO versions yet though. I agree with you about Rebel Assault 2. There's a bit of screen tearing, but that could probably be fixed with v-sync.

It's hard to make out the resolution difference in Dragon Quest XI on my monitor. The texture difference isn't though. Sacrificing texture quality for higher resolution seems like a bad trade-off to me. I suppose the devs had no choice though.

Yeah, TechTV was just the channel they showed that on. I still remember watching the episode with Steve Wozniak. He seems like a real down-to-earth guy. There was another cool show called Extended Play that had video game reviews.

Nice. I've read about ScummVM since I'm interested emulation/virtual machines. I've never tried it though. I didn't own a computer when those games came out, so I'm not motivated by nostalgia to play them if that makes any sense.

Sony had a device similar to the VMU called PocketStation. It was only released in Japan though. I didn't know Gamecube could link to GBA. That's pretty cool. I had mostly moved on to PC gaming by that point. I still kept up with Dreamcast news about homebrew games, DreamPI, etc.. Many of the online game servers have been restored and recently some Atomiswave games have been ported over.

No worries. I've never been very good at FPS games, but I still enjoy playing them sometimes.

By the way, there's a YouTube channel I found recently called Upscale that has a lot of game intros.

Sure no problem. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Redline looks awesome. I'd never heard of that. That's another one I'll have to watch.

That's a shame about your PS2. I thought maybe if there was something like a DexDrive for PS2 memory cards, you could transfer the save file to your computer and continue playing in an emulator, but I couldn't find anything like that.

Agreed. Before there were very many translated games, some people learned Japanese just to be able to play them. That's some serious dedication right there too. Some of them may even be doing the translations.