VOGONS

Common searches

doom on XP

Topic actions

First post, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(i posted this one 'cos doom is a dos game)

there is this launcher for doom called "doom95".
it lets doom run in win95 with higher resolutions.

it works fine with winXP but the "invisible demons"
look really weird and buggy. are there any patches or
workarounds?

big thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's one of the earliest Doom ports I think. Try getting a more modern one like ZDoom or Doomsday or any one of a dozen others.

http://www.doomworld.com/ is a good place to look for source ports.

Reply 2 of 19, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just need to play doom on winXP.

most of the scourcemods of doomworld (like zDoom) are modified with all kinds of new features and stuff (jump/crouch, consoles, newskins, new mesaages), it isn't the original doom anymore.

the ones like windoom and doomNT are the original but windowed or with no background music (they have a cd-play emulator).

now, the "doom 95" launcher is perfect. its the original doom and it runs under XP. the only thing is that those "invisible demons" are real buggy and trippy. i wondered if anyones knows a solution for that.

or maybe another launcher. thanks (big pain in the arse, i know)

Reply 6 of 19, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever tried Doomsday w/o the fancy packages and not enabling things such as jump? I find it to be great fun compared to the original. I play it with Sycraft's music pack, the environment pack (for higher rez skies) and with mouselook w/o autoaim. Its actually more challenging without autoaim.

😁

I can play Doom in dosbox fine, but having Doom run so very smooth in 1280x1024 is amazing.

Reply 7 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I run all the old Doom engine games in Doomsday as well, mainly for the OpenGL/HiRes support. Although I can appreciate wanting to run those games unmodified. 😎

Glad the DirectDraw thing worked for ya. I have my moments occasionally heh.

Cheers 😀

Reply 9 of 19, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok there is a slight problem with this directdraw solution.

if i turn directdraw off in windowsXP, the "invisible demons" look good but the frames do not refresh as fast as normal or something (horizontal movement stripes if i run).

is there a way to install older directdraw versions that are compatible with doom95 (maybe some win95 drivers that run under xp) so that i can switch between them if i want to play doom?

big thanks, i think the problem is almost fixed!

Reply 10 of 19, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I believe the only way to use an earlier DirectDraw version would be to install an older version of DirectX. I'd only recommend this as a last resort though. From what I understand you'll probably need a DirectX uninstall utility to completely remove the current version before trying to install the old one.

However this is something else you can try. There is a DirectX control panel utility that allows some advanced tweaking (assuming you don't already have it). It's not included with normal installs of DirectX but it is an official Microsoft utility. First check what version of DirectX you have installed. Then search on Google for a file called "directx.cpl" that is compatible with your version.

Once you have that installed, go into your Control Panel and open the DirectX utility. On the DirectDraw tab there's an "Advanced" button that opens some tweaks you can play with. You can also try turning off hardware accelleration or change the rasterizer settings on the Direct3D tab.

I'm not over-optimistic any of this will help but it's the only advice I can think of at the moment.

Good Luck

Reply 11 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really doubt that old versions of DirectX will work with new versions of Windows and/or new video cards, as both Windows and the video card drivers assume that you're running a fairly recent version of DirectX and will probably go bonkers even if you could get it to install.

The directx.cpl trick sounds promising.

Reply 12 of 19, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

handy tool!
i think i will play doom with the buggy invisible demons (its not that bad).
'cos the option that's causing the bug also keeps things smooth with my high resolution in doom.

thanks anyway

Reply 13 of 19, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, i wanna know if the full version of doom is free? I mean its been out for awhile, and is there anyway to get doom 2? And, one more question, i saw a version of doom and doom 2 in open gl. Is there a demo version, or perhaps a way to buy the full version's of the doom and doom 2 in open gl? Thanks.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Reply 14 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom isn't free, although the source code is. (Well...kinda). It doesn't matter how long a game has been out if the company still owns the IP. Heck, the original Zork isn't free and that's been out forever!

You can use the DoomsDay Engine: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ or any other port for better graphics in Doom.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 19, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that sucks. Iam guess iam stuck with playing shareware versions of old games. Well, is there any way i can buy the full version of doom or doom 2?

Reply 16 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to any Walmart, BestBuy, CompUSA, etc....or search around on ebay. Check UnderDogs too...they probably have links to places where you can buy it.

I got my copies from the good ol' Quake Shareware CD. Man, I love that thing! Too bad ID learned from their mistakes and never released anything else like it. 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 19, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, well i used to get a few demos from the Terminal Velocity cd. But i lost it. But it only had Rise of the Trade, duke 4 i think, and a few others. I did, however, found a site that lets u download sheareware, and freeware. Its www.dosgamesarchive.com . I happend to find doom there, and thank god. I felt like it was nearly impossible to find a demo of doom! Heh, anyways, thanks for answering my question.

Reply 18 of 19, by commodorejohn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you just want to play plain ol' DOOM, zDOOM provides a raycaster-type engine (same as in the original) and OPL music emulation, and the modifications from the original game can all be turned off. I highly recommend it. Play it at 320x240 and you won't even notice the difference.
Oh, and the DOOM engine source is free, hence all the source ports, but the game itself isn't. However, there's a DOOM collector's edition CD found in most Wal-Marts that has DOOM, DOOM II, and Final DOOM on it, which will provide the game WADs, which can then be used with any of the innumerable source ports out there. It'll be the best $10 you ever spent.

Reply 19 of 19, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also a project called FreeDoom that aims to make a full freeware replacement IWAD for Doom. It's not complete and I don't know if it's any good.

I also emailed back and forth with the author of SLIGE ( http://www.doomworld.com/slige/ ) quite a bit while he was still developing it. It's a pretty sophisticated random level generator for Doom 1 and 2 that can spit out a WAD with as many levels as you want for endless fun.