VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wickhmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well hello again,

Anyone else get Ultima 8 installed to find out it only runs once before complaining of a incomplete installation?

The first time I launch the game, it starts unpacking some sort of shapes.flx file (which, I believe, is located in the STATIC folder). It politely tells me that this will only happen once and that I should not interrupt the process or I'll have to re-install the game. This is fine. I agree. Wonderful idea.

The game then proceeds to run beautifully (Thanks again to DOSbox - You guys ROCK.)

However! When I go to run the game again, it shows me the warning about unpacking the shapes file (In three different languages no less) and then promptly and happily dies. Gasping with it's last breath: "An incomplete installation has been detected. Please re-install." 😵

I've tried the latest patch to no avail.

Any ideas?

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

isn't there a gamedat directory or so which should be cleaned then ?
i think it's in the readme.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar problems, it would work fine and you could play for as long as you wanted, but when you restarted it the error message about an incomplete installation would appear. There was a post a while back with the fix.

The solution was to install the game, then go into the /static directory and manually delete the u8shapes.cmp file before running Ultima VIII a second time.

Reply 4 of 4, by Wickhmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try that solution.

The Ultima 8 windows engine you're referring to is called Pentagram, but it's nowhere near finished as far as I know. It took Exult (the Ultima 7 Win engine) something like 4 years dev time before it was ready...

http://pentagram.sourceforge.net/

- D

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.