VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!
I need help - in the archive attachment is an exe file sw1041kb.exe with a bios update for the Creative CT6900 videocard. As a first sight, there are several executable files inside it. Can anyone help "take it apart"?
I need Creative Flash Utility to restore my CT6900.
Tnx!

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 1 of 6, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't this program _the_ flash utility itself?
It looks like there are multiple EXE inside because it's a protected mode app. It has a small real mode stub that searches for DOS extender or other DPMI providers (or maybe the stub is a provider on its own), and then launches the attached protected mode exe.
I see something that looks like a font at the end of this app, so I would say this sw1041kb.exe is the flash utility itself, also containing the update blob for the video card's BIOS.

Reply 2 of 6, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2022-09-08, 20:20:

Isn't this program _the_ flash utility itself?
It looks like there are multiple EXE inside because it's a protected mode app. It has a small real mode stub that searches for DOS extender or other DPMI providers (or maybe the stub is a provider on its own), and then launches the attached protected mode exe.
I see something that looks like a font at the end of this app, so I would say this sw1041kb.exe is the flash utility itself, also containing the update blob for the video card's BIOS.

I need a “multiple exe” as separate files. Yes, its a flash utility without “force mode”. So, i hope that one of exe inside is suitable to make force flash my card.

Reply 3 of 6, by mefistotelis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might have wrong impressions about the file and how it works.

1. Disassembly
This term doesn't mean dividing a file, it is widely accepted as a term for converting machine code from binary form to text form.

2. Extraction/ripping a file

In the past, finding files of known types within a container file was called `ripping`, and there were several `ripper` tools for that. Today, it's usually just called `extraction` and the one tool which became de facto standard for that is `binwalk`.

3. I tell you what you want, what you really really want

I doubt this firmware contains a stand-alone updater which it extracts and runs when needed. If it does, you can catch that in action - ie. reboot the machine in correct moment. But I'm pretty sure you'll find out there's no such mechanism.
If you want to flash another FW using this utility - then just replace the FW inside the file with yours.
How to find it - use your brain, and compare the FW you have with the content of updater package. If there's a magic value, `binwalk` can be persuaded to search for it.
How to overwrite it - this is usually done with `dd` utility.

Reply 4 of 6, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mefistotelis wrote on 2022-09-09, 02:22:
You might have wrong impressions about the file and how it works. […]
Show full quote

You might have wrong impressions about the file and how it works.

1. Disassembly
This term doesn't mean dividing a file, it is widely accepted as a term for converting machine code from binary form to text form.

2. Extraction/ripping a file

In the past, finding files of known types within a container file was called `ripping`, and there were several `ripper` tools for that. Today, it's usually just called `extraction` and the one tool which became de facto standard for that is `binwalk`.

3. I tell you what you want, what you really really want

I doubt this firmware contains a stand-alone updater which it extracts and runs when needed. If it does, you can catch that in action - ie. reboot the machine in correct moment. But I'm pretty sure you'll find out there's no such mechanism.
If you want to flash another FW using this utility - then just replace the FW inside the file with yours.
How to find it - use your brain, and compare the FW you have with the content of updater package. If there's a magic value, `binwalk` can be persuaded to search for it.
How to overwrite it - this is usually done with `dd` utility.

I need help with extraction/ripping of Creative Flash Utility 2.0 from this EXE composite file if this possible. The binary blob (CT6900 firmware) is on a second place.

Reply 5 of 6, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-09-09, 05:26:

I need help with extraction/ripping of Creative Flash Utility 2.0 from this EXE

There is no "standalone flash utility exe inside".
If you split this file you will get:
1. a DOS extender stub, a DOS EXE that does nothing except entering the protected mode and launching the attached protected mode app
2. a DOS protected mode app that is not the MSDOS EXE at all. This file cannot be launched directly, not by DOS, not by Windows (btw, readme tells you to use DOS only). It must be launched by DOS extender stub.

None of these parts are useful on its own.

Reply 6 of 6, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2022-09-09, 07:43:
There is no "standalone flash utility exe inside". If you split this file you will get: 1. a DOS extender stub, a DOS EXE that […]
Show full quote
Babasha wrote on 2022-09-09, 05:26:

I need help with extraction/ripping of Creative Flash Utility 2.0 from this EXE

There is no "standalone flash utility exe inside".
If you split this file you will get:
1. a DOS extender stub, a DOS EXE that does nothing except entering the protected mode and launching the attached protected mode app
2. a DOS protected mode app that is not the MSDOS EXE at all. This file cannot be launched directly, not by DOS, not by Windows (btw, readme tells you to use DOS only). It must be launched by DOS extender stub.

None of these parts are useful on its own.

Sad. 🙁
So dissoldering ROM chip and write it using programmer on my way)))