VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For background, I wanted to do a retrospective/shareware limited release series on floppy, starting with Softdisk's Carmack/Romero/Carmack games. Oddly enough, I remember games like Rescue Rover, Catacomb 2, and Keen far more than any of their other games, so wanted to highlight that period and do a small writeup, do a micro-run of colored 5.25 1.2m floppies and the rest standard black, do some custom printing, and create a more sophisticated install menu with a lot of information and context surrounding the release.

I'm running into difficulties understanding the licenses which certain titles were distributed. For example, I know concretely that my family did not order Hovertank 3D, however we did have a professionally printed disk containing a few levels, as my grandmother was a member of a ton of shareware distros between 1987-1993. The only games we bought back in the day were Keens 1-6. For the life of me, I cannot find any information on a shareware issue of Hovertank, just that it and a few other Gamer's Edge releases have been Open Sourced.

Another huge gaping question is the first Catacomb (the Gauntlet clone). I initially thought this game was Shareware, then when I found no information on its license I assumed for about 2 years I couldn't put it on the compilation. Researching yesterday and looking through the files on Archive.org however I find that the version they have is actually a Verbatim periodical disk that explicitly tells people to copy the disk.

So now I'm even more confused- were some titles licensed differently depending on deals made to certain shareware distros? Or if one (i guess notably legal) shareware distro put a game on a disk with no other information available, does that mean I'd be good to do that too?

Before GOG, I don't think I'd have any moral quandary about putting Catacomb on a disk, but considering they're selling a pack with it in there, I want to be sure. I also think that highlighting shareware as a concept is important for this series so I don't want to mistakenly put full versions of stuff (even if it is "abandonware") on disk.

Also, it seems that it's easier to find disk images for complete games than their shareware counterparts. Which is entirely reasonable, but I'm a little perturbed that I'm having such a hard time finding exactly what was distributed as shareware without personally downloading disk images and rummaging through the contents, and even that can be ambiguous, considering the Catacomb issue above.

I initially thought I could go to a shareware website and just pull things from there, however there are tons of sites and almost none of them have more than 3 games for softdisk in their shareware section.

Is there a list out there? Or some way of getting accurate information about there being shareware versions of games? What do you recommend, trawling ebay and archive for shareware disks from the time and digging through their contents? Is there any better place to get this info?

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought about such a list as some massive spreadsheet on every shareware game filtered down to SWCBBS/ASP/PCSIG/UML/UWP (no commercial demos/teasers) of only their initial release dates with relevant canonical filenames, but it'd probably likely start early with Castle Adventure and take a while to get to the "10 Id/Apogee/Epic Games Everybody Knows" and all the moraffs/soleaus/t*mmyt*ys if one were to do a series chronologically.

Such a series would also need to look after and care about scrubbing mailing addresses as there's a few potential scam attempts out there (i.e. "Mario!"), and there have been videos taken down from the existence of that info...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One good way to find out if something was released as shareware might be to refer to publications from PC-SIG. The PC-SIG Encyclopedia of Shareware was a paper catalog of shareware titles, and they also released CD-ROM products called PC-SIG Library and PC-SIG World of Games which you can find on archive.org. The CD-ROMs contain an electronic catalogue program that runs in DOS plus the actual software and games. Note that the PC-SIG Library does contain games as well as other software. I would consider them a much more reputable source than a shovelware CD-ROM of games such as you might find at http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html where whoever was putting together the CD probably didn't pay much attention to the license terms. I'm not sure but I think you might have had to submit your software to PC-SIG for inclusion.

Reply 5 of 6, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks folks, this helps a lot.

The other releases I've planned have specific mention somewhere on the disc or programmed into the games themselves that they're shareware or freeware, so this first disk is the one that's causing me the most trouble. Gamer's Edge was a product they were promoting, but it very well could be that they pushed some of these for free at a time and then didn't specify a license on purpose.

An example would be, the PC Gamer disk with full versions of some DOS games on it. Those were ostensibly free, but none of them were shareware. I have a feeling Catacomb and Hovertank might have been done like that.

I will check PC-Sig! Also I might get in touch with the Dosgamert webmaster to ask about specific titles.

Another sort of related question, if anyone knows... can I use logos of game makers without permission? For instance, I'd like to highlight Jeff Minter's works for DOS. There's a classic Llamasoft logo that I'd like to use for the floppy label. Is that dangerous territory? I know several non-Apogee entities back in the day specifically used that logo on their shareware releases, but I bet that was done with express permission. If that's the case, I might want to reach out to Jeff himself to get the OK to use his old logo.

Reply 6 of 6, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to wrap this up, I have some clarity on the original Catacomb.

Basically the Gamer's Edge disk which houses Catacomb 1 in its most official capacity doesn't contain traditional shareware or freeware, it has to be shared in full. How GOG got around this (and Catacomb 1 is technically a "bonus" in the catacombs pack) is they have a straight copy of all the files on the Gamer's Edge promo disk. So, weirdly, the Catacombs Pack on GOG contains Dangerous Dave 1.

Considering Dave and Catacombs 1 were going to both be a part of the distro, it looks like I can also just contain the files on the Gamer's Edge disk in a directory, and then use my installer to copy only the files needed. I'm happy with that workaround, and GOG doing the same thing for Catacomb relaxes me a little.