Common searches

Discworld II and Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by Khaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well....
i did have great problems getting dw2 running, but thanks to Bouchehog's guide, i got it at least started.
But as soon as i click "new game", dw 2 asks me to insert cd1 and press a key to continue. as the disc is already inserted, i press a key, but nothing happens...
the picture of the disc keeps spinning, but nothing happens.

now my question is:

can i somehow tell dw which drive to use?
and is it a problem, that i am using an image instead of a real cd?
I've got an emulator that emulates drives which can read image-files such as .iso or .bin

well, i hope i expressed my problem and questions properly and someone will/can help me 😀

edit:
what is the proper label of the dw 2 discs? mine are named DW2CD1_ENG
and DW2CD2_ENG. I wonder if that is correct 😀

Reply 21 of 44, by Khaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I want to play that game!!

i think that my cd's are named wrong... everything else works just fine

well, i will have to play doom 3 as long as nobody answers...
and doom 3 ins't a match for dw 2 😎

Reply 22 of 44, by dragonball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi just thought id reply, im not good at this sort of thing and it took me ages to get it working properly and alot of messing around. eventually someone with some brains will reply to you mate, it took a few days before i got a reply but when i did it fix the problem. sorry to be no help atall but thought i'd let you know someone had read it. hope you get it sorted soon.

Reply 23 of 44, by Khaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

JEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWW!!!!

i got it!

i works!

here is what i did :

1. i installed dosbox

2. i created a shortcut to the dosbox.exe

3. i added the parameters C:\ -c "mount L L:\ -t cdrom -usecd 2" in the shortcut's properties in the field "target" (just write it behind the things that already stand there). this loads my drive C: as drive C: and mounts my cdrom drive L: as a cdrom drive L: (note: the parameter -usecd 2 indicates the cdrom drive which will actually be mounted as a CDROM drive. For example : i have the cdrom drives J:, K:, L:, M:, N: and O:.
Drive O: would be -c "mount L O: -t cdrom -usecd 0" and drive M: would be -c "mount L M: -t cdrom -usecd 3". I hope i made myself clear :-p )

4. start dosbox via the shortcut and change the directory to your discworld directory (in my case i had to type : cd discwo~1 as my discworld directory is C:\Discworld if it was C:\Games\Discworld, i would have to type : cd games\discwo~1 (hint : it helps a lot if you first type dir/p, cause you get a list of all files and folders that are in the current directory))

5. after changing the directory, start dw2.bat by just typing it, that's it 😀

although i have to admit that the video sequences are very laggy and have a bad sound quality, but i guess i will fix that somehow, too

edit: THANKS to dragonball for being with me in my darkest hour 😀

Reply 24 of 44, by Khaine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i fixed the problem with the sound as well 😀

i just increased the number of cycles in the dosbox.conf

trying around with the combination ctrl+F12 and ctrl+f11 is useful as well, as it increases or decreases the speed of dosbox

Reply 25 of 44, by woete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I followed the instructions given by Bouchehog. When I now start the game, there seems to be a problem with my video card. It says that there is no descent VEGA-Driver available. What should I do? Can anyone solve this problem? (wink to Bouchehog 😉 )

Did you get the number of that donkey-kart?

Reply 26 of 44, by Gadget

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay - I've got Discworld II working. It's the long way round, but it should work for 99% of people.

Right - for this, you'll need the following ingredients:
The underdogs ripped version on the game, all nicely installed. (Available from the underdog's website - (EDITED) DIRECT LINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED HERE
The Discworld II CDs. (For those dirty software pirates out there, you can probably get a bittorrent of the CD Image if you look around. I suggest (EDITED) ABANDOWARE OR THE LIKE AREN'T ALLOWED HERE EITHER

Open up D:\DW2 (Or whatever letter you got assigned to your CD/DVD-ROM drive)

Highlight everything.

Copy it into C:\DW2 (Which should be where the underdogs rip is - if it isn't, move it there or it won't work)

(Replace all files that are already there.)

Use SETUP.EXE or SETSOUND.EXE or something, I can't really remember... umm - to set up your sound card etc.

Run DW2.BAT.

BAM! Discworld II runs amazingly - and your life is filled with a happy Python-esque glow.

"If I didn't know so many strange people, I'd probably think you were odd."

Reply 27 of 44, by cameo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OH dear - I have stumbled across this site wanting so much to be able to play Discworld II on my laptop ( with XP) but the information is just too hard for me to follow...where do I download the.bat file and what is it - and is there a patch or somethign I could download instead?
Any chance anyone could help me?

Reply 28 of 44, by sharkema

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you've tried all the various methods in this thread and still get a black screen like I did (The game actually turned my monitor off 😀 ) it could be that it's a stack overflow. I used a program called bigstack.zip and now I can finally play ~sigh~
If you google for bigstack.zip you should get two results, one with a description of the problem, and another for the download, hope this will help for someone.

Reply 33 of 44, by mattyw87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bouchehog's solution works perfectly for me. Thanks!

Just a quick note though, many people I know found out how to get this to work (thanks to this thread) and ended up buying/downloading the game. However, they ran into difficulties (as did I) when installing the game using Nicht Sehr Gut's batch file. When downloading the file from this thread you must right click and the link (it's on one of the earlier posts) "save target as" save it as a text file on your computer, edit it (and set the source and destination drive for your computer) then re-save it as DISC.BAT.

DO NOT left click the link as it brings up the batch file instructions into an Interner Explorer window and copying these instructions into notepad and then editing and saving will not work! This has happened to a few people I know of now!

Just a quick word of warning for people who may not be used to all this kind of stuff.

Anyways, the solution was great and I've had no problems at all! Thank you very much!!

Matt

Reply 35 of 44, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi evreybody i've done evreything bouchehog said but now when i go into the game i hear the sound but it's just a black screen please help . 😢

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 36 of 44, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this some sort of follow-up from another thread?

And, man, you need a crash course in English ASAP. 😁