VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Roy_Tuesday

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm playing the GOG version of Tomb Raider, after installing the patch. I can only use Direct3D, all other options return a "PixelFormat" error. I have nGlide already installed for other programs, but that doesn't seem to interfere with TR.

When I loaded the game in Fullscreen, the splash screens and FMV play normally, letterboxing and all. When it came time for the main menu, the game resized and entered windowed mode at the original resolution (640 x 480, I think). In windowed mode, the splashes and FMV played at whatever resolution I chose in the GOG launcher, but returned to the original res at the menu as before.

I have switched Windows Aero on and off, swapped my DisplayPort connection for that of a Dual-Link DVI, and fiddled in the glide.ini and dosboxTR.conf files to manually set the resolution. Now, when I launch in fullscreen, everything plays at the low res, and if I try to start a game or go to Lara's Home, the game freezes. Windowed mode is still the same, but I cannot switch to fullscreen; Alt-Enter does nothing (apart from making Lara jump), and the menu option has no effect at all.

The game runs just fine, but it's so small on my screen it's difficult to enjoy. What baffles me is that Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider III do not have this problem, both from GOG as well. I've searched many other forums, including that of GOG, but no one else seems to have my problem. The two biggest changes from my old PC to my current one, are the switch from an AMD card to an Nvidia card, and the upgrade from 32-bit Win7 to 64-bit; I don't know how much of a change that is, except that TR 2 and 3 didn't work on my old machine at all.

Here are my current rig's specs. I suppose I could always use my old rig for this one, but I'd have to reinstall Win 7 after Win 98 didn't sit well with my hardware.

Monitor: Asus VG248QE
Motherboard: Asus H81M-K
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130, Quad Core, 3.40 GHz
RAM: Adata XPG V2 8GB, DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Zotac GTX770, 2048MB, GDDR5

Reply 2 of 4, by Roy_Tuesday

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I submitted a ticket to GOG several days ago without response. I just set up XP SP2 on my old rig, and TR runs fine on that one.

I'll just give up wrestling with Windows 7, it isn't worth the hassle.