VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Apreche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For quite some time I've been trying to get mechwarrior 2, the DOS CD-ROM version to work. I am closer than ever, but not quite there. Here is what I got so far.

1) DOSBOX isn't necessary.
2) VDMSound is good.
3) SAPUCDEX doesn't help.
4) NOLFB is necessary.

First, get a windows command line (cmd.exe) full screen. Run the installer off the cd. It should work perfectly. Next get the patch and update it to version 1.1 instead of 1.0. Next, run dosdrv (vdmsound). Next run nolfb. Now run mech2.exe. The game will start and run perfectly. However, it will hang up as soon as you get to a dropship screen.

My theory is this. The dropship screen is when the game loads the level from the cd-rom. However, the game does recognize the CD-ROM. If you try to play without the cd in the drive it will give you the old abort/retry/fail. I think what is going on is that the game uses on instruction to check for the cd-rom and its label. That instruction is executed correctly. However, the instructions it uses to load lots of data from the cd-rom do not work correctly. The dropship screen, if I remember correctly, is when the game tries to play the redbook audio on the cd. I think this might be a contributing factor to the crashing. sapucdex does not help this problem at all. I am going to try the same method with a no-cd crack later. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try emulating the game in linux instead of windows.

If you have any tips or tricks I haven't tried then that info would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the important specs of the system I'm using:
Abit NF7-S Nforce2 Ultra 400 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
512MB DDR400 RAM
GeForce FX5900
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Windows XP / Gentoo Linux 2.6.0
2 Serial ATA 150 hard drive
1 Paralell ATA hard drive (UDMA66)
1 paralell CD-ROM drive, Plexwriter 8/4/32a

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my NT Game Compatibility list located in Deep Thought:

INSTALL Upon execution you will receive this error message: "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, whic […]
Show full quote

INSTALL
Upon execution you will receive this error message:
"An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This

may cause the application to function incorrectly. CHoose "Close" to terminate the application."
Hit IGNORE instead of CLOSE.

You will next receive the error:
"Not ready reading drive X"
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Drive X will be your first CD drive then your next.
Hit F until it ends the chain and the Installer starts.

A Warning screen will pop up saying that you do not have enought memory. The installer is most

likely wrong in your case. Hit YES.

Another warning screen will pop up complaining about VESA. Hit YES.

Install the game!

Patch the game to v1.1. If you do not then when you launch a mission the game will freeze on the

dropship screen. Patching the game to v1.1 fixes this.

GAME
Upon running the game at the menu the mouse will be stuck in a "box" in the upper-left hand side

of the screen.

Use Mouse2kv to correct this. EX: Mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 MERCS.EXE
The MERCS main menu is a 640x480 res menu using Mouse2kv allows you to use your mouse outside the

box.

The game will also crash if you click on the globe or when you first enter the game after the

respective clan video. Another symptom is that when launching the game without NOLFB the game will

go IMMEDIATELY into a mission as soon as you choose your clan. If it does this then you did not

execute NOLFB. To fix this run NOLFB prior to running the game.

So in short:

1. Install Game.
2. Patch to v1.1
3. Execute NOLFB.COM
4. Execute mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 MECH2.exe
5. Play game!

If this doesn't work for you then use Connectix Virtual PC.

Only for Windows 2000!

Now I may have not tested with sound enabled. I'll try it again tonight and see if I did or did not.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline