VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recieved a diamnond voodoo 1 card about a week ago and it appears to be DOA. the card looks perfect almost brand new. anyways i've tried it in 3 computers. 1 dos and 2 windows 98. but apperently its not being detected.

i ran speedsys in dos and it didn't report the voodoo on the PCI device list. also if i recall it should pop up in windows as "multimedia device" or something like that but nothing is happeneing. before i send it back i just wanted to check if i'm missing something or could it be a simple bad cap?

Reply 2 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

normal speed and on 3 diffrent motherboards. i even cleaned the contacts but they wernt even dirty. the card seriously looks brand new. its been awhile since i played with the voodoo 1 so i wasnt sure if i was supposed to get a message that new hardware was installed or not or if the diamond card was diffrent.

Reply 3 of 8, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, that can happen, although it's quite rare.

I've got half a dozen Voodoo1 cards and one of them just died one day, no sign of damage or anything, so that might be it. I doubt it's a bad cap, otherwise the problem would be far more widespread.

::42::

Reply 4 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the card smell bad? Seriously! Sometimes bad capacitors smell like stinky fish.

What systems are you trying this card in?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 5 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

smells normal to me

tried it on a 200mhz system in DOS. a 233mhz system in win95 and a 1.4ghz rig with win98SE and it wasnt detected in any. i'm calling the thing dead, shame though it really does look brand new.

I am right in thinking that all the voodoo cards should be detected by windows right? as a "video device" or "multimedia card" or something.

Reply 7 of 8, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

smells normal to me

tried it on a 200mhz system in DOS. a 233mhz system in win95 and a 1.4ghz rig with win98SE and it wasnt detected in any. i'm calling the thing dead, shame though it really does look brand new.

I am right in thinking that all the voodoo cards should be detected by windows right? as a "video device" or "multimedia card" or something.

Yeah my Monster 3D shows up with something like multimedia with a yellow exclamation point before I install drivers.

Have you tried it in a fresh windows install with just a 2D video card and no other devices (nic, soundcard...etc)

BTW whats the Model and manufacturer? Maybe its a knock off?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried it with a fress windows install but not with all other cards bemoved. i'm going to be putting a diffrent win 98 build together soon so i'll try it in that one

card seems like a legit diamond multimedia voodoo from the card itself to the sticker on the back FCC ID FTUPCI2184M 1996 rev B