Common searches

Harvester

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have the original multi-cd set and I am wondering if 1.) there is a windows wrapper where I just copy all the files to a directory and can play it that way or 2.) if there is a simple way to set it up in dosbox with no cds (hate swapping cds) so I can easially play it?

Reply 2 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But, I also want to add it to my collection of non steam games and just launch if through there.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 3 of 23, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could have a separate copy of Dosbox in the game's directory, and make a shortcut that launches the game in Dosbox, and then add that shortcut to Steam. That's actually how Steam delivers some of the older games in the catalog, such as Ultimate Doom. It includes Dosbox with the game and runs that.

I'm sure theres a way to make Dosbox load a particular config file using different shortcuts without needing separate copies of Dosbox of course; I don't really use it so I don't know off the top of my head.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 5 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, I got it to work (kinda) with out the cds, I get to the part after it loads the intro and then it crashes and gives me the damn cannot find wait.abm where the hell can I just download this damn file and skip the mount unmount crap?

Reply 6 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and I know what that file is, it's the s;inning harvester logo that is before it loads the next section, could it be that either a.) it's called something else or b.) it's a hidden system file? or c.) my cd copy it corrupt and never had it?

Reply 7 of 23, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found this :
Heres some help for anyone receiving this error:
ERROR! [id:04c5] - "could not read abm_filename: 1:\graphic\other\wait.abm"
if you set the drive letter when mounting the cdrom to D: it should load correctly.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want to mount ANY cd I want to run it without any cd or img or dmg or iso just straight from the game folder

Reply 9 of 23, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People are giving you workarounds and you insist on ignoring them. Ok, that's fine. This issue has been talked about several times. Please stop bitching and use the search.

Reply 12 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I already know about the copying of files and the config, how do you think I got as far as getting the intro and loading screen to load without the cd before it crashed?

Reply 13 of 23, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

@sky

I see no one in this thread that goes by the name sky.

dosquest wrote:

what do you think I have been trying to tell you?

So far you stated that:
1) You want to launch the game through stream.
2) You may have a corrupt intro file.
3) Adding one mount command and pressing Ctrl+F4 at the appropriate time is, I don't know...
-a)too complicated
-b)too much effort
-c)somehow offensive to your religion
Which of these are you referring?

dosquest wrote:

how do you think I got as far as getting the intro and loading screen to load without the cd before it crashed?

By imaging the CDs as I suggested earlier.

Reply 14 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But, see I don't want to mount any cd (physical or image) I can feel I am soo close, and if I get this to work then I will be able to help other people who have the same problem

Reply 15 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet when I mount the physical discs it still gives me the same error, and after a fresh install of harvester. No modded config or ini files.

Reply 16 of 23, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- First get the game working with the standard setup (read the 60 seconds guide, and not only read, but follow it, and so on).

- Then try to get it working with your awkward setup.

- And finally, if it still doesn't work, come back here and ask for help POLITELY.

Reply 17 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been able to get it to work regularly with the physical cds, and I am having fun, but I just think it would have faster loading if I can just make it run from the hard drive and some how find where the wait.abm file is, because when I load it from the cd I see the wait logo (the pocket watch thing that says "please wait") so I know the file resides on the cd somewhere...where it is...I do not know, maybe it's embeded in the .dat file.

Reply 18 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosquest wrote:

But, see I don't want to mount any cd (physical or image)

Why not, exactly? You do realize that if you put the imgmount command in the autoexec section of your dosbox.conf, you won't have to type it in when you start DOSBox, right?

Reply 19 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, all the info above is now no longer needed because I got it working, late once I make sure it's foolproof I will share how I got it to work, now keep in mind that I use a legal copy of harvester including the 3 cds and manual (sadly no registration card)