VOGONS

Common searches

Millennia

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Icedragon256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded DOSbox to try out a game that I found out I had while cleaning my room. The game is called Millennia: altered destinies. When I first ran the game under CMD the cinematic would play then the game would suddenly exit out, I then tried running it with a boot disk and the same problem occured. so while browsing the HOTU FAQ to find if it had any info on how I might fix this I came accross DOSbox. I tried runing the game under DOSbox and the game simply caused DOSbox to close out with the response "exit to error: Protected mode not supported" I searched the forums and found that this is some sort of mode in which games are run that DOSbox does not support. So this brings me to my question; what can I use in order to play this game?

Reply 1 of 20, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried out Millenia with a recent (compiled Thursday) CVS, and Millenia doesn't seem to work yet... after mounting the CD, installing, and running MIL.BAT DOSBox freezes up. Not sure why. I'll let you know if it starts working in a new future CVS.

Reply 3 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Icedragon256 I tried runing the game under DOSbox and the game simply caused DOSbox to close out with the response "exit to error: Protected mode not supported" I searched the forums and found that this is some sort of mode in which games are run that DOSbox does not support. So this brings me to my question; what can I use in order to play this game?

Found and tested. I ran it in the most recent version of the CVS DosBox, but it was rather sluggish on my 1.7GHz processor.

Ran much better with VDMSound. If you are running the CD version, you need to enable low-level CD-ROM support. Also, while the intro doesn't need any EMS memory, the game does. In fact, it needs a minimum of 6 Megabytes, so you should change the settings on your VLP shortcut by manually changing EMS to at least 8 Megabytes.

Reply 4 of 20, by Xeno

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have this game - Millennia: altered destines. All is OK, but i can't SAVE in this game. Game stops or do nothing when i try to save. Does anybody have this problem. If no or you successfully fix it, please e-mail me: dudch@bigmir.net.

Best regards, Andrei aka Xeno:(

Reply 6 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Xeno Hello! I have this game - Millennia: altered destines. All is OK, but i can't SAVE in this game.

Quite annoyingly, this was overlooked, even in the SegaSoft re-release (part of a "Sci-Fi" collection).

Enter your game's directory and create a directory called "GAMES".
This is where files are saved/loaded.

Reply 10 of 20, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I've been trying to get this game to work with both VDMS and DOSBox, and each and every time I get the EMS error, even when I have it enables with VDMS. In DOSBox, I get some kind of GUI error. Could anyone post their steps they went through to get this game to work? Thanks!

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 13 of 20, by saladpuncher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The definitive Guide to getting Millennia: Altered Destiny working in Windows XP with SP2 (and sound).

You can skip down to Step 1 if you are in a hurry. In this paragraph I’m just going to go over the steps I tried. First was DosBox and although I had enough memory to get it to work it would crash when attempting to load the CD. I tried every possible combination on both my CD drives and even an ISO image (yes I own the game for those who are gonna scream PIRATE!). I switched over to VDMSound but could not wrangle enough conventional memory out of XP. The game needs 582k and that’s just a ton, even back when the game was made!

I am going to assume a default install of the game and XP. Just change the paths if your system is different.

Step 1: Install VDMSound.

Step 2: Install Millennia. Do not set your sound options or simply make sure they are set to NA or nothing.

Step 3: Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and make copies of AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT. Name these copies AUTOEXEC_MIL.NT and CONFIG_MIL.NT.

Step 4: Right click on your desktop and choose New then Shortcut.

Step 5: In the location text box type COMMAND.COM. Click Next then Finish.

Step 6: Right click the icon you just made and choose properties.

Step 7: Click the memory tab and set everything like this:
Total: Auto
Initial Environment: Auto
Expanded (EMS) Memory: 16384 (or the maximum it will let you).
Extended (XMS) Memory: Auto
DPMI: Auto
Protected and Uses HMA can be checked. Doesn’t seem to much difference either way.

Step 8: Choose the Program tab. Type "C:\Program Files\VDMSound\VDMSRun.bat" C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com in the Cmd Line text box. Use the quotes. Working text box should say C:\WINDOWS.

Step 9: Click the advanced button and set the autoexec and config filenames to autoexec_mil.bat and config_mil.bat respectively.

Step 10: Click OK. Click OK again.

Step 11: Double click the icon. Dos should start up with VDMSound loaded.

Step 12: Go to the Millennia directory (usually c:\take2\millenia) and run setup

Step 13: Set your sounds and save your settings.

Step 14: Close the Dos program and open AUTOEXEC_MIL.NT for editing.

Step 15: Put an REM statement in front of the lines lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir and lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx. The sound setup needs DPMI but the game itself doesn’t. The joy of the Miles Sound System! This used to take 2 boot disks back in the day. You kids got it so easy…grumble grumble. Save you changes.

Step 16: Double click your icon again and go to the Millennia directory and run MIL.

W00T, you like TOTALLY have sound!

Note: this works on my system because it manages to clear up enough EMS. Your system might be different. Try REMming out more lines in your custom Autoexe_mil.com and Config_mil.sys if it is still complaining about RAM. Let me know if this clears up anyone else’s problem.

-saladpuncher
saladpuncher@saladpuncher.com

Reply 15 of 20, by Jun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worked perfekt for my CD Version.

But it seems, that I am not able to save my game. I can write a name for the savegame and after pressing Enter, the game say's "Timesnapshot taken". But when I access the option dialog again, there is no game I could load.

Do you know what this could be?

EDIT: Sorry, I did some more research at google and found the solution. I had to create a folder called "games" in the "millenia" gamefolder.

Reply 16 of 20, by ChaosDwarft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

everything works to perfection after following the steps, two thumbs up. But there seems i have an other problem, my advisor doesn't make any sound and i selected the voice commentarys option. The advisor gives me written commentarys but not his voice. I can listen to the music. Maybe i'am missing some files? I checked my configuration and succesfully passed the two audio test.

PLZ help

Reply 17 of 20, by angrybob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everything worked to perfection for YOU, perhaps. I have tried the above steps. I've spent hours trying different methods to get this thing to work and I am having little success and a LOT of frustration. In the command prompt I get the mscdex using dosbox. That's fine. Whatever. I use the VDMS method above and it gives me a lot of jargon ending in an error. That's fine. I tried some other method, I forget which, and it mentions the EMS error that I need at least 6 megs free. This is totally frustrating. I haven't played this game in 15 years, have a computer that's thousands of times better than the one I had back then...and it can't even run a little game like this.