VOGONS

Common searches

Harvester

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by popeye1128

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jumping in to say I have Harvester working perfectly using DosBox and Daemon Tools Lite. Don't have to use the physical CDs so swapping is faster and game runs much smoother. Here is what I did:

1. Image the CDs using Daemon Tools Lite (DTL) making sure to save them as .mdx images like the original CDs.
2. Make a Harvester folder and create a 'C' folder within it. It will be your C drive for Harvester.
3. Make a CD folder within the Harvester folder and put the images you made there.
4. Mount the Disk1 image with DTL, I use Z: as the drive letter for my virtual drive.
5. Put your dosbox files in the Harvester folder.
6. Configure the dosbox conf file to mount the Z: drive as cdrom and to run the install.exe program. Also be sure to mount the 'C' folder as the C drive BEFORE the command to mount the virtual CD drive.
7. Run dosbox and you should enter the installation. Follow the steps.
8. After install back out and change the dosbox conf file to run harvester.exe by using the cd command to go to your 'C' folder and be sure to delete running the install.exe program.
9. Now you should be able to play the game.

This is really quite easier to do than it appears. I hope I explained it well enough. Here is what my final autoexec section looks like in dosbox conf:

echo off
mount C C
MOUNT D Z:\ -t cdrom
C:
cd \harvest
harvest.exe
exit

Now whenever you are asked to insert a different CD just alt-Enter out and swap images using DTL then alt-Enter back into the game.

You will also probably need to change the 'output' in dosbox conf to either ddraw or overlay. I find both work for me.

I hope this helps someone. Happy to answer any questions. By the way, I have used this same method to successfully run many old DOS games especially multi-cd ones like Black Dahlia which is notoriuosly hard to run.

Reply 21 of 23, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i play this game with images of my cd's in the same folder as dosbox, whats wrong with that? no cd's required just double click dosbox and go when you need to change cd just press CTRL-F4. I dont get why you are making it so confusing 😀

Reply 22 of 23, by igorium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I managed to get Harvester up and running, mounted my virtual CD as mount D "J:\" -t cdrom and switched ISOs in emulator, it's fast and convenient

But I had problems with videos - short sequences like throwing meat to dog or looking at body in coffin are corrupt - shows only a few screens from the video in less than a second. Longer videos play OK. Anybody overcame it? Reducing CPU cycles didn't help.

I'm especially interested in what happens if you look at parents' window at night - the death sequence 😀

Reply 23 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Hi all. I managed to get Harvester up and running, mounted my virtual CD as mount D "J:\" -t cdrom and switched ISOs in emulator, it's fast and convenient

But I had problems with videos - short sequences like throwing meat to dog or looking at body in coffin are corrupt - shows only a few screens from the video in less than a second. Longer videos play OK. Anybody overcame it? Reducing CPU cycles didn't help.

I'm especially interested in what happens if you look at parents' window at night - the death sequence " Did you download your game or buy the discs? If you downloaded it from somewhere other than GOG we will not help you, because that is considered piracy.