VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AceJoel96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This guide
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...es_tfoa_iq.txt
says that you can only get the 1000 if you use scummvm to enter in more health to beat Hans, Arnold, and Fritz in the non-suckerpunch playthrough. Steam uses DOSBox to run FoA, so does anyone know if the Steam version is runnable in Scummvm? Alternatively, is there a debug option in the DOSBox version that will allow alteration of the amount of health?

Jag's guide also mentions a glitch with the torpedo in the scummvm version that made him miss it by 9 points. Has anyone else encountered this, and is it exclusive to the scummvm version?

The Long, Long History of TIE Fighter...Coming Soon!

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are interested in the 1000 points, it is recommended you play the Steam version as is, or the DOS version through DOSBox. ScummVM is not an emulator, but an interpreter and sometimes interprets thins different. That explains the missing 9 points.

I'm not sure if you can get the Steam version to run under DOSBox.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought the Steam versions used a proprietary SCUMM interpreter and not DOSBox, but then, I've never actually tried running them myself. Either way, I think there are Windows utilities (Game Wizard 32?) that you could possibly use to edit the values the program has in memory, but I've never tried those either.

What I do know is that the Steam versions use purposely re-arranged versions of the data files that are not directly compatible with the official build of ScummVM. It's relatively trivial to bypass and there's definitely a utility out there that will take the data files from the Steam version and use them to create ScummVM-compatible versions; there might even be an unofficial build out there somewhere that can read the data files directly.

Really, the better place to ask might be on the ScummVM forums.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that's the correct, the Steam version has a Windows front-end, but is considered to be the most bug free version. Important if you want the 1000 IQ points.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by AceJoel96

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's relatively trivial to bypass and there's definitely a utility out there that will take the data files from the Steam version and use them to create ScummVM-compatible versions; there might even be an unofficial build out there somewhere that can read the data files directly.

Do you know what the utility or unofficial build is called? I don't know where to start looking. The stability of the Steam version will probably help with glitches, but the other reason for needing ScummVM is the near-impossible difficulty of beating some of the enemies in a non-suckerpunch pass, so I need to know how to cheat to alter health.

The Long, Long History of TIE Fighter...Coming Soon!

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said, why are you asking here instead of the ScummVM forums? There are probably people there who know everything there is to know. And if they don't know about some bug in the health system, I'm sure they'd like to know.

I would have to search those forums myself to find the name and location of said utility.

EDIT: Okay, they don't actually like discussion of it there. Nonetheless, a Google search for <steam scummvm> brings up https://github.com/symm/LAAExtract within the first page of hits. (You will, of course, have to get Python running on your Windows machine if you expect to do anything with that.)

Reply 6 of 6, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This guide says that you can only get the 1000 if you use scummvm to enter in more health to beat Hans, Arnold, and Fritz in the non-suckerpunch playthrough.

It is possible to beat those Nazis without cheating: Ma5terViking at YouTube has videos of him doing it.

Additionally, if you don't possess the necessary skills, you can slow down DOSBox by raising the cycles to really high amounts (as described in this thread). Here is a video of me beating Hans this way.

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/@LaukkuPaukku