VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE DEUS: I ended up adding SET BLASTER variable to AUTOEXEC.BAT and removing it from DOSSTART.BAT.

Follow the link in my Sig to see all my settings, I'm keeping it updated as I change things, thanks!

FIXED!! SET BLASTER variable had to be set in KQ5.bat.
I'm not sure why having it in the DOSSTART.BAT isn't enough. I even tried adding it to the end, but that didn't work. Maybe I need to load it twice or load it from another BAT file?

I'm still not getting voices in KQ5, but basic sounds work and the game loads. One small step for man..

I cannot get King's Quest V or MegaRace 2 to produce sound. I suspect KQ5 is defaulting to common settings (no idea where to manually set them). Before anyone snaps my head off.. I already did the GOSIERRA patch but it was a no go. Game cannot detect audio and freezes at Sierra logo. MR2 loads up fine, but has no sound. My detailed specs can be found in my Sig. I appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

Last edited by simbin on 2012-10-06, 15:43. Edited 4 times in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking in the MegaRace 2 setup I noticed the highest address setting is 250, while mine is set to 260.

EDIT: I got MR2 working.. dropped my address to A240 : E640

In fact.. All my games are working with sound EXCEPT KQ5

Reply 3 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just saying, in general you want your Sound Blaster on address 220 and interrupt 7 to work with pretty much every game right away 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just saying, in general you want your Sound Blaster on address 220 and interrupt 7 to work with pretty much every game right away 😀

UPDATE: I managed to change my address to 220 and IRQ to 7.. I also found an updated AUDBLAST.DRV but still no dice. Now there's no error msg just the blue floppy icon on a black screen, mouse moves, keyb isn't locked.. but nothing.

I think it was set to 220 before I installed some other cards and the address changed. I manually set it to 240, but wasn't able to get 220. Been a while since I messed with PnP, IRQ's and Legacy ISA cards.

Everything seems to be working great except KQ5. From what I read it seems like my hardware is too fast and causing the error. The GOSIERRA patch is supposed to fix that, but no dice.

Reply 5 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FIXED!! SET BLASTER variable had to be set in KQ5.bat.
I'm not sure why having it in the DOSSTART.BAT isn't enough. I even tried adding it to the end, but that didn't work. Maybe I need to load it twice or load it from another BAT file?

I'm still not getting voices in KQ5, but basic sounds work and the game loads. One small step for man..

Reply 6 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running W95 or W98?

Things get confusing when running DOS games with these operating systems.

I made a video tutorial showing how to install W95 or W98 and then removing Windows so you are only left with MS-DOS 7.1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pppclfshE

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Are you running W95 or W98? […]
Show full quote

Are you running W95 or W98?

Things get confusing when running DOS games with these operating systems.

I made a video tutorial showing how to install W95 or W98 and then removing Windows so you are only left with MS-DOS 7.1:

I'm running Windows 98 SE B, but I'm restarting in MS-DOS Mode. I would have went totally DOS-Only, but I plan to run a couple older Windoze games too.

Reply 9 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Really good TUT BTW.. I ended up doing something sort of like this. I can still access Windoze if I have to, but it boots up with everything set for DOS-Mode.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
simbin wrote:

I'm running Windows 98 SE B, but I'm restarting in MS-DOS Mode.

I can't quite recall, but I don't think DOSSTART.BAT executes when you restart in MS-DOS mode. You can test this yourself, if you want: put in a line that says "echo Testing Testing Testing" followed by a line that says "pause".

Googling turns up http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-dosstart.html .

Reply 12 of 12, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
simbin wrote:

I'm running Windows 98 SE B, but I'm restarting in MS-DOS Mode.

I can't quite recall, but I don't think DOSSTART.BAT executes when you restart in MS-DOS mode. You can test this yourself, if you want: put in a line that says "echo Testing Testing Testing" followed by a line that says "pause".

Googling turns up http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-dosstart.html .

After banging my head a couple times I came to that conclusion. I've been out of the 9x/DOS loop for too long. 😀