VOGONS

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, long time no see you VOGONS!

I have Pentium 100 PC which it not time to turned on, when I tried turned on the PC won't powered on. I've tried to check why it's happen, when I remove video card from motherboard and plugged in it powered on! But when I plugged them again, it won't turned on 😵. My video card is S3 Trio 64V+

Is this possible my video card dead? Need some help, thank you 😊

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello (again) 😀

So if I understood correctly, your Pentium 100 rig wouldn't turn on (no power, as in completely dead and no movement)?
Then you removed the S3 Trio 64V+ and then it would turn on? (but obviously you would have no graphics display, not having a graphics card installed and all).
Then you plugged the S3 Trio back in and the Pentium 100 rig was dead again?

Is this correct?

If so, have you tried the S3 in another computer? Have you tried mounting the S3 in another PCI slot?
And have you tried another graphics card in your Pentium 100 rig? For all we know, the slot might be defective somehow and the graphics card ok.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In addition to what Tetrium asked, do you have another power supply you could use with it for testing?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 3 of 5, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Hello (again) :) […]
Show full quote

Hello (again) 😀

So if I understood correctly, your Pentium 100 rig wouldn't turn on (no power, as in completely dead and no movement)?
Then you removed the S3 Trio 64V+ and then it would turn on? (but obviously you would have no graphics display, not having a graphics card installed and all).

Is this correct?

If so, have you tried the S3 in another computer? Have you tried mounting the S3 in another PCI slot?
And have you tried another graphics card in your Pentium 100 rig? For all we know, the slot might be defective somehow and the graphics card ok.

I've tried them with C2D/P4 powered XP rig, the mobo is Biostar G41-M7. When I turn them on, the XP rig beeps 1 times long and 8 times short which means "the video adapater is missing and DEFECTIVE". Is it true the video card dead?

Reply 4 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Hello (again) :) […]
Show full quote

Hello (again) 😀

Is this correct?

I've tried them with C2D/P4 powered XP rig, the mobo is Biostar G41-M7. When I turn them on, the XP rig beeps 1 times long and 8 times short which means "the video adapater is missing and DEFECTIVE". Is it true the video card dead?

Your C2D/P4 rig may be too new, very old PCI cards may not work properly in motherboards with much later PCI slots.

How about my remaining questions:

Tetrium wrote:
So if I understood correctly, your Pentium 100 rig wouldn't turn on (no power, as in completely dead and no movement)? Then you […]
Show full quote

Is this correct?

Have you tried mounting the S3 in another PCI slot?

I'd need to know the more exact symptoms, hence why I asked 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 5, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

How about my remaining questions:

Tetrium wrote:
So if I understood correctly, your Pentium 100 rig wouldn't turn on (no power, as in completely dead and no movement)? Then you […]
Show full quote

Is this correct?

Have you tried mounting the S3 in another PCI slot?

I'd need to know the more exact symptoms, hence why I asked 😀

Initially this symptoms happen, later the Pentium 100 rig won't turned on at all even I removed all expansion card, the power supply works fine. Seems like CMOS battery died because it's not first time I saw this problem.

But I tried the video card on RDRAM powered Vectra PIII, it's beeping long then two time short (I know what does that mean). When I test an AGP video card (Samsung OEM GeForce 2 MX), it has same result but I reseat them it works! But the S3 Trio still won't work even I've reseat them.