VOGONS

First post, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Flashing a FireGL 8800 64mb to a Radeon 8500 because it wasn't working properly in 98SE. I goofed and now it doesn't post is there anything that can be done?

Attachments

• FireGL8800.jpg
    Filename
    FireGL8800.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-04-28, 00:32:

Get PCI video card and reflash it again.

I had one of those cheap Rage pro 8mb PCI cards sold on ebay and I must have added the flash all ATI cards modifier and it killed it too. And I didn't save the bios before I flashed because I was having problems with the Flashrom syntax.

Now all I have is a FireMV 2400 PCI card that I couldn't get to post with both cards in the system.

Reply 3 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very basic one megabyte PCI videos cards are good to have around as a diagnostic tool, so now you have an excuse to get one.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 7, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently, I did save the original bios on the flash drive I was working with and after changing the bios to boot from PCI I was able to use the MV 2400 to flash the FireGL back to life. No more midnight flashing for me.

Is there anyway to properly use this FireGL 8800 in windows 98?

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2348.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dothan Burger wrote on 2024-04-28, 16:57:

Apparently, I did save the original bios on the flash drive I was working with and after changing the bios to boot from PCI I was able to use the MV 2400 to flash the FireGL back to life. No more midnight flashing for me.

Is there anyway to properly use this FireGL 8800 in windows 98?

Riva Tuner can be used to change the card's ID - I did this with an Nvidia Quadro FX 4000, changing it to a 6800 Ultra. As a Quadro, the water in Half-Life 2 wasn't rendered correctly, but after using Riva Tuner it was. I can't promise that it will solve your issue(s) but it is worth a try.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need to do anything in Win9x environment. Just force Radeon 8500 driver on it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2024-04-29, 06:45:

You don't need to do anything in Win9x environment. Just force Radeon 8500 driver on it.

For whatever reason the card was crashing on the ITX Llama board. You're right though it's running just fine on the K8V that I used to flash it, and it scored just behind my ti4200 nice!

I always wanted R200 based card and I'm just happy to have one for the $30 bucks I paid on eBay.