VOGONS

First post, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the Sound Blaster Live! support multi-channel over the SPDIF or mini-DIN connections?
My Cambridge Soundworks DTT 3500 decoder has mini-DIN, SPDIF and 3.5mm Front and Rear (no center) input connections.
Using my Sound Blaster Live! CT4760+CT4660, and the DTT 3500.
Using a Windows 9x system, and Liveware 3.0 drivers, I have tested:
- mini-DIN - mini-DIN
- SPDIF RCA - SPDIF RCA
- 3.5mm Front and Rear Jacks - 3.5mm Front and Rear Jacks

3.5mm F and R connection provides 4.1 analog output as expected.

Using DIN to DIN connection only produces sound on front- left and right channels when choosing a 4.1 speaker setup.
If I check the 'Digital Output Only' option in the Creative speaker application, only 2.1 channel setup is available.
This is the same using the SPDIF RCA cable.

On a 5.1 channel Live! (e.g. SB0060, SB0100), would this be any different? Is is possible to have 5.1 channel support on using only either the mini-DIN or SPDIF cable?
Or is 5.1 support only available via 3.5mm analog cables, presumably a Front, Rear and Centre/Sub 3.5mm jack connectors?

For comparison, on another machine using WIndows Vista, I installed an X-Fi XtremeMusic and attached a third party Optical/SPDIF bracket to the AD_EXT. Using the same SPDIF RCA cable connected to the DTT 3500, a speaker test in WIndows revealed 5.1 multi-channel support.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SPDIF can only carry multichannel in compressed formats like some Dolby and DTS flavors, there needs to be support for such encoding in the OS/driver etc. to get multichannel over SPDIF and one will have to live with the additional latency from both encode and then decode processes in the receiving device. Analog multichannel is able to provide uncompressed output and no extra latency which perhaps makes it preferred at least as far as games are concerned.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-04-11, 13:05:

SPDIF can only carry multichannel in compressed formats like some Dolby and DTS flavors, there needs to be support for such encoding in the OS/driver etc. to get multichannel over SPDIF and one will have to live with the additional latency from both encode and then decode processes in the receiving device. Analog multichannel is able to provide uncompressed output and no extra latency which perhaps makes it preferred at least as far as games are concerned.

Interesting. Given that the DTT 3500 dates back to 2000, the options for OS' back then would be 98SE and 2000, neither of which I presume have support for the Dolby encodings.
Therefore, I'm interested how the decoder outputs 5.1 channel for anything of that period that's connected to it, given that the only available inputs are front and rear 3.5mm jacks (4.1 maximum), mini-DIN (max 2.1?) and SPDIF.
It has a built-in Dolby Pro Logic encoder, but that's only producing a compressed mono channel for the rear as well as 2-channel stereo (sort of 3.1?).

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It probably is for the software DVD players etc. that can send their compressed stream directly over SDPIF to approrpiate receiver device.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜