VOGONS

Reasonable Roland MPU401 price?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by pEEN0r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
At the end of the day, as with any item you wish to purchase, you need to ask yourself whether the asking price is justifiable t […]
Show full quote

At the end of the day, as with any item you wish to purchase, you need to ask yourself whether the asking price is justifiable to you.
Although I'm fortunate enough to own a real MPU-401 and an MT-32, I agree that the going rate for these items are a bit ludicrous.

If you are unable to obtain these items for a "justifiable" price, then I can definitely recommend the MUNT & SoftMPU route.
In the end, the most costly item will be the USB MIDI interface (which will cost you around $50 US for the Roland UM-ONE MK2 MIDI interface). If you have a spare PC or laptop laying around, then that can also serve as your MIDI sequencer.

For sure.

Yeah, I'm gonna wait it out and see if I can find something at a friendlier price. Whichever compatible card I manage to score I plan on using both for gaming and also MIDI sequencing with the Voyetra Sequencer Plus. The initial reason for the entire project was to escape the USB/MIDI hell of latency, and the overly fancy GUI on bloated modern OSes. I've already built a Pentium III rig with Win98SE and now I'm hunting / waiting it out for the last few pieces.

Reply 21 of 21, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't have to ask.. ebay completed auctions tells you everything you need to know.

$150 is a lowball attempt and the guy was right to be offended. Especially when you could turn around and sell it for double the next day.