VOGONS

First post, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess what I just discovered...
CheckIt 3.0 and CheckIt 3.0 are not equal!

There are (at least) two variants...
- older, with CHECKIT.EXE of 351232 Bytes, and date Nov 6 1990
- newer, with CHECKIT.EXE of 333830 Bytes, and date Apr 10 1991

And the older variant seems better...
On my test machine, the older works without problems, while the newer consistently hangs on the "Interrupts" screen.

I'm getting paranoid...

Edit:
Closer examination reveals the following strings in .EXE files:

CheckIt 3.00i, 09/07/90
CheckIt 3.03C, 04/08/91

apparently never displayed, officially they are both just "CheckIt 3.0"... argh!

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 1 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is one thing where the newer version is better: correctly recognizes >16 MB of memory.
Still only allows to test 16 MB, though.
And can't forgive the hanging "Interrupts".

Overall, 3.00i still seems the most reliable.

300i.png
Filename
300i.png
File size
7.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
303c.png
Filename
303c.png
File size
7.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I just checked my version of CheckIt 3.0 and in CHECKIT.EXE I found this string: "CheckIt 3.01k, 01/30/91". The executable itself is 330709 bytes. So we have more than two versions of CheckIt 3.0 😁

P.S. CHECKIT.OVL also varies in size between the different CheckIt 3.o versions.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-05-06, 08:27:

P.S. CHECKIT.OVL also varies in size between the different CheckIt 3.o versions.

Yes, larger CHECKIT.EXE = smaller CHECKIT.OVL
Obviously they moved some code between those files.

Reply 4 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-06, 09:31:

Yes, larger CHECKIT.EXE = smaller CHECKIT.OVL
Obviously they moved some code between those files.

Correct.

But there is also another difference unrelated to executable files: help file varies in size too 😀

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-05-06, 10:55:

But there is also another difference unrelated to executable files: help file varies in size too 😀

You mean CHECKIT.HLP, right?
Strange, it's exactly the same in 3.00i and 3.03C...
perhaps your version isn't in English?

Reply 6 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-06, 11:02:

You mean CHECKIT.HLP, right?
Strange, it's exactly the same in 3.00i and 3.03C...
perhaps your version isn't in English?

Yes, I mean CHECKIT.HLP and my version of Checkit 3 is in English too, but as I mentioned, a different revision 3.01k. Of course, the help file has no impact on the stability of the software.

P.S. Ok, I compare my files to some 3.00i versions circulating on the web. I can't find version 3.03c for comparison.