VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea on what I'm doing wrong here.

I've got a PS/2 keyboard, and a USB mouse connected to my retro computer. It's an AMD K6-2 running on an Apollo MVP4 motherboard.

I want to get the USB mouse working in DOS so I'm trying Bret Johnson's USB drivers. However, no matter what I try, as soon as I get the USB mouse installed and working my PS/2 keyboard just dies. Everything still works, and if I run the commands in a bat file it will happily do stuff just fine, but the keyboard just vanishes from existence. The mouse does work, though.

My config.sys just has the following:

dos=high,umb
buffers=10
files=40
stacks=18,256
device=C:\DRIVERS\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5

I run usbuhcil i0 /pd to load the driver. Then once I run usbmouse the keyboard dies. If I run a .bat file that starts usbmouse and then loads ctmouse, and then edit, I can see the mouse working perfectly fine inside edit. The keyboard dies to such an extent that e.g. num lock/caps lock no longer work (but the num lock light stays on), and ctrl+alt+del does nothing.

Would anyone happen to have an idea of what could be up here, or what sort of debugging steps would be good?
Thanks!
ps: I wanted to post this to Bret Johnson's forum but it seems to be broken right now, telling me the sessions table has crashed. So I can't sign up right now. I've emailed him about it so maybe he'll be able to fix that.

Reply 1 of 1, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this problem as well some time ago. In my case the problem was using an USB hub. Or more correctly using a KVM which mouse/keyboard USB connection shows up under an USB hub on the pc.

Only way I got it working was using it directly on an internal USB port and not using a KVM or USB hubs. Also try to avoid using USB 2.0 if possible and use an USB 1.1/1.0 port if available.