VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I am planning to buy a notebook with some hardware (eg. a RTX 4050). I search for "Rtx 4050" and immediately get the list with notebooks having the GPU. That's fine.

I then go on to sort: Highest to Lowest or Lowest to Highest, and I get EVERY RTX gpu notebook except 4050. I then tried the same with other products, such as a playstation 5. Sorting it by price, I get everything (games, base, skins, etc) other than the console.

Only the price sorting is causing problems. Other filters work fine. Has anyone experienced this?

(Before anybody points out, at least in my country, Amazon is one of the primary PC electronics retailers, other than a few local online retailers and offline stores, so that's where I am purchasing from)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 4, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-07, 05:55:

Your search term is too broad I think ... works fine here with the search string 'rtx 4050 laptop' or 'rtx 4050 notebook'

This one is better, it will still list what I searched for, but it still lists everything other than what I specified

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most stores do the sorting fine... and then they insert the promoted articles.

So, in the end, the only thing they do reliably is sinking the relevant results.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 4, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I last used Amazon (which was over a year ago), price sorting was broken in a different way. It would show thousands of results before you sorted, but after sorting by price, there were suddenly less than 10 items in the search results.

The search function was already broken before that. The results were everything containing at least one word out of your search terms, which sounds like what you're seeing (for example, searching for "RTX 4050 laptop" would bring up laptops with integrated graphics, desktop graphics cards, and anything with the number 4050 in the product name). They also removed the ability to exclude certain search terms at some point. I stopped using Amazon because I could never find what I was looking for.