Common searches

Fur Elise

Topic actions

First post, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry don't know how to make an umlaut.

For 3 days I've been trying to figure out what the name of that song was (the ome in my head). And what arcade game used it. I listened to 50 songs or more. By Beethoven. The game was Phoenix. I'm goimg to bed.

Reply 1 of 27, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-28, 06:02:

Not sure about the topic... How to input umlauts depends on the keyboard layout. Assuming a US keyboard, if you choose German QWERTZ input layout 'ü' can be entered via the '[' key.

If you're typing from smartphones I think many keyboard providers offer options for entering characters with diacritics regardless of language (mainly vowels, for consonants you may still need to use the target language). In this example, tap and hold 'u' and you'll be offered options for different diacritical marks including umlauts.

Reply 2 of 27, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A classical song converted into a very unpleasant experience. I wonder why this song is the preferred choice on phone calls.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 27, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSS10999 wrote on 2023-09-28, 06:50:

Not sure about the topic...

It also took me a while to decrypt this post so I'll share the hidden wisdom:
OP had a song stuck in his head, 3 days and 50 Beethoven songs later he figured out that the song title is "Für Elise" and the melody is featured in the arcade game Phoenix. He created a new thread posting these findings, didn't copy-paste the title from the internet to get the umlaut though, and now he need some sleep.

Reply 4 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's exactly what I said. But it wadn't 50 Beethoven songs. I didn't know who the composer was. My best guess was Mozart. I actually thought I knew the who the author was way back. But I was wrong. I don't believe I've ever heard the title.

Reply 6 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you.

Now maybe you can help me pronounce the german company name PRAZI. I had thought there was an umlaut above the 'a', but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Would it make a difderemce in the pronunciation? Many years ago I heard a man from Missouri pronounce it like NAZI. Or NOT SEA. In my heart I know it isn't pronounced that way. But I need confirmation.

Reply 7 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way, if a retro PC starts playing it through the PC speaker at some point, it's what some BIOS/motherboard combos used as a CPU overheat alarm in the latter half of 90s and maybe just into noughts.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So you're saying Für Elise is used as a funeral dirge.

I don't know why. It has somber yet an uplifting aspect to it. I cannot understand why I had to listen to at least 3 "most famous classical songs you don't know the name of" videos before hearing it. Maybe it's so significant a tune to me because of that game? That I don't have a specific recollection of even. Galaga, Robotron, Pole Position, Tutankham, Ghosts and Goblins I remember well. But not Phoenix. But the song ...

Reply 10 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that. My paint set was made in Denmark. Gratefully the instructions are anglo. No offense, they'd likely dry up by the time I learn Danish.

All of a sudden I'm hungry ...

Do they have wolverines or badgers in Denmark? Wolverines afaik are usually larger. Like dogs. Nastiest animals on the planet.

Reply 11 of 27, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-28, 16:39:

Thanks for that. My paint set was made in Denmark. Gratefully the instructions are anglo. No offense, they'd likely dry up by the time I learn Danish.

Do they have wolverines or badgers in Denmark? Wolverines afaik are usually larger. Like dogs. Nastiest animals on the planet.

Wolverines are known to use guerrilla tactics...

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 13 of 27, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-28, 16:39:

We do have badgers but there are no wolverines in Denmark.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2023-09-29, 16:09. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 15 of 27, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prazi bought out the old Hobbymat name I take it. Those machines were/are also branded Unitech. They're metal cutting lathes. Some woodworking machinery also. I can't understand why a google search reveals nothing for you. Try using an umlaut 😉

Allegedly there were Taiwanese copies of the Sd-300 at least. I want to say Unitech were made in Germany but don't know. They were also called Prazimat and another variation that escapes me.

I have 2 incomplete Prazis (pronounced PRA-ZEE?). Sd-300 and SD-400, don't ask please. Whether it's a long or short a, I'll continue to say Prazi like CA(T) ZEE, w/o the T.

I also have a Harbor Fright lathe that may be modeled after the SD-500? Or whatever it was called when it carried the Prazimat badge.

The American distributor for Prazi currently is the biggest ace-in-the-hole you've met. So's his wife. I won't deal with them. It's unfortunate because they're tools are of simple design (astounding for a German manufacturer) and very well made. Very accurate. They're a bit pricey for most people's pockets. You'd look at the SD-300 and immediately compare it to the old Unimats. But nuh uh. It's a light duty machine but is far better quality.

Reply 17 of 27, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It used to be common practice on typesetting systems that did not have umlaut vowels to use the un-umlauted vowel + 'e' as a substitute. So, as an example, Geiger–Müller would be written as Geiger–Mueller. So if you can't find the umlauts, there is an easy out.

Reply 18 of 27, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-28, 06:02:

For 3 days I've been trying to figure out what the name of that song was (the ome in my head). And what arcade game used it. I listened to 50 songs or more. By Beethoven. The game was Phoenix. I'm goimg to bed.

This isn't a German forum, so no need to worry about umlauts.

Those who care about it understand quite well what you've meant in the title 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 19 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Microsoft Word has many useful keyboard shortcuts for such characters, unfortunately they don't work in other programs. (Not even other Office apps)

ETA: But the umlaut-n in "Spinal Tap" is not supported which is a tragedy.

Last edited by Errius on 2023-09-28, 23:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?