VOGONS

Common searches

Cardboard boxes or plastic boxes?

Topic actions

First post, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Poll: Do you prefer cardboard boxes or plastic (dvd) boxes as packaging for games?

• 8 votes (57%) 8 votes (57%)
  • 4 votes (29%) 4 votes (29%)
  • 2 votes (14%) 2 votes (14%)

You may have read the thread concerning cardboard boxes or plastic (dvd) boxes as packaging material for games. This is the thread. What is your choice?

Cardboard: These boxes are bigger, and most of the time filled with a thick manual, other leaflets, and other gadgets. The cd has its own regular plastic box that will fit in your cd-rack. But, these boxes are more expensive for the producers, and cost wood!

Plastic (dvd-box): These are the smaller boxes you'll probably know from dvd's. They are ecologically well considered, but do not contain a manual, or a very thin one. All the info you need is on the cd. The cd is attached to the dvd-box itself, so you'll need a new cd-box if you want to put it in your rack. This is cheaper for the producers.

What do you chose? Comments and/or arguments are more than welcome!

Homepage
Lombrosiana

Reply 1 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No boxes. Just Cd holder that protects CD before I buy it, so I can stick it in my CD case.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 20, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plastic (DVD-box) since they are cheaper.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 4 of 20, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Big fat cardboard boxes, i got a big bookcase filled with em. Dunno just looks a lot nicer looking of your collection if it's all in nice big boxes.

They actually made nice work on those on the older boxes like the nice shiny stonekeep box or the weird shaped fade to black box.

Reply 7 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣@Skid

The best example of this was the Bleem! box. Anyone remember that thing? Twice the size of a "regular" game box, and had NOTHING inside it but a jewel case!

I think I'd prefer seeing a whole line of DVD cases on a bookshelf. Anyone that keeps their boxes doesn't have enough software (or has an extremely long shelf 😉). Go buy more software! The BSA demands it! Save the economy! If you don't buy software you are a pirate!! 😉;)

I'm confused though. Two people have said DVD cases, but only one voted for it? (There are two now because I voted for DVD case.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 20, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I voted for Plastic cases (DVD) so don't look at me 😜

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 9 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Harekiet i got a big bookcase filled with em. Dunno just looks a lot nicer looking of your collection if it's all in nice big boxes.

I must admit that I'm also fond of this. Hoping to build a library to look like the one from the animated "Beauty and the Beast" (except with software instead of books...mostly).

Reply 10 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover 🤣@SkidAnyone that keeps their boxes doesn't have enough software (or has an extremely long shelf

..or they completely filled their shelves, major portions of 2 closets and a large number scattered about to the point of becoming a potential fire hazard.

Reply 12 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd take my easily stolen Caselogic CD Cases over your crappy boxes any day! 😜

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh...
That's something I've never really thought about. Those four cases are more valuable than my actual computer. Perhaps I should think about putting tracking devices in them?
Then again, I imagine that a robber won't be going into the basement of my house to find four black cases shoved under a black desk next to a black subwoofer 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 20, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snover: What was your address again ? 😜

Reply 19 of 20, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's really a choice, whether or not you prefer trees or oil. Most game boxes are made from recycled paper. DVD boxes, on the other hand, are made from plastic, some recycled, some not, in either case they are made from petroleum products (oil).

You can always grow more trees, you can't grow more oil!
Besides, who want's to give more money to the oil barons!!

I'm finished, and I have wiped myself!!