VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ebay sellers, with hard to find PC parts, that they are listing for gold recovery, but they are selling them for prices that exceed the value of the gold that can be recovered from them? If you're selling parts for gold recovery, shouldn't you be selling them for a price that the buyer can turn a profit from after they remove the gold? Who will buy parts for gold recovery, if the cost of buying and processing them, exceeds any amount of money they could conceivably make, unless gold suddenly soars in value, making it worth it? Presumably, if you're selling them for gold recovery, they don't work, or else you'd be selling them as working, and getting higher prices, right? There are people out there trying to sell parts for gold recovery, with the same prices that other people would sell them for as working.

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I investigated about how much value in recovering precious metals. This is not your typical chemistry job. The ones you see on video results in impure metal and materials to do so is expensive, and dangerous.

The platings on memory is usually not gold since they recently developed a way without needing any gold. The plating on CPU and such is not much. It takes about a 1 tonne to get any meanful return.

It is best to leave it to large metal recycling industries to do it.

The actual scrap price per ton is less than you think even gold containing scrap, therefore the ebay is totally uninformed sellers. I got about 100 for my caravan with full of junk, I had to haul junk away from closing up shop I worked at.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two factors at play here, the sellers who know that collectors search for gold recovery hoping to get a deal, thus doing a crappy search optimisation. Then there's the sellers who don't have a thought unless someone else gives it to them, and just copy and paste other peoples descriptions. Actual response from a seller when I question his use of the words "mint" etc when pictures showed very worn item "Chill dude it's just the stuff you're supposed to say when you sell something" with implications that I didn't know nothing about it if I didn't know that words that have a meaning don't have a meaning. So yah. dipshits all round basically. However, there are also those verging on the mentally incompetent in the scrapping scene, who are blinded by the potential of worth, such that if they've got something shiny, they think it's worth the whole price per ounce or ton or something. Sometimes these people are sellers, and you can't get anywhere with them, sometimes they are sellers who are deliberately and callously taking advantage of these people.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ebay also helpfully? also will check your title to find similar listings, that you can select as a template. So enter say Pentium Pro and it'll bring up another listing that says "Pentium Pro Gold Scrap"
Minimal effort to simply click on that, don't check if it truly represents what your selling, quick check of others BIN prices put the same price, sit back and wait for the money to roll in (Accept it doesn't)

Reply 5 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always suspected they include these descriptions as a form of SEO (search-engine optimization).

Or maybe it is just a case of copying from other listings without giving any extra thought into the title of the items.

Come to think of it, I do occasionally see what appear to be copy-pasted titles for completely different items.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards