VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Longhorn screenshots

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 32, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wait a sec... FFVII still sucks on XP! On top of the fact that the sound is screwed up, it crashes in certain places on XP - most noteably on the chocobo races. Eidos in fact says that FFVII shouldn't be run on XP, iirc. What on earth about FFVII could make you like XP!?

And those are some cool links about the gui they had in jurrasic park! hehe. now all we have to do is find the gui they used in hackers, and swordfish! wheee! hehe.

Reply 21 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um... yeah. Have you tried running it in compatibility modes? Have you tried turning the "hardware acceleration" for your SOUND down to "Basic"? (There is an issue, at least in FF8, with the SB Audigy's drivers (eg. they really suck) that causes movies to studder for whatever reason. Turning hardware acceleration on the sound down to basic fixes the problem.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 22 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawnmoth wrote:

wait a sec... FFVII still sucks on XP! On top of the fact that the sound is screwed up, it crashes in certain places on XP - most noteably on the chocobo races. Eidos in fact says that FFVII shouldn't be run on XP, iirc. What on earth about FFVII could make you like XP!?

And those are some cool links about the gui they had in jurrasic park! hehe. now all we have to do is find the gui they used in hackers, and swordfish! wheee! hehe.

I really hope that you aren't serious. Those were the most ****** things about those movies.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Indeed. Fake flashy GUIs in Hollywood movies make me want to vomit...

This is because most directors don't care about what computer "geeks" think in the slightest. They're thinking in terms of the general public. The general public would find most efficient, workable interfaces to be boring.

Directors don't want that, they're trying to provide entertainment. If that means bizarre, over-the-top interfaces, then that's what they will use.

Having said that, effective acting and direction used in tandem with a realistic interface can make even text on a command-line prompt seem dramatic.

"How about a nice game of chess?"

Reply 25 of 32, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um... yeah. Have you tried running it in compatibility modes? Have you tried turning the "hardware acceleration" for your SOUND down to "Basic"? (There is an issue, at least in FF8, with the SB Audigy's drivers (eg. they really suck) that causes movies to studder for whatever reason. Turning hardware acceleration on the sound down to basic fixes the problem.)

the sound may not be an issue... but the fact is, FF7 on XP sucks - even EIDOS says so...

DirectX 6 or higher has had mixed results with Final Fantasy VII, depending on your hardware, and is not recommended for use with the game.

This is from here. Windows XP has DirectX 8.1.

Final Fantasy VII will always crash at the Chocobo Races when playing under Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

From here.

Seems to me like Windows XP and FF7 just aren't a good combination...

I really hope that you aren't serious. Those were the most ****** things about those movies.

And no, I'm not joking - I would seriously like to see screenshots of the other horrible GUI's... not because I think they're good, but because they're fun to make fun off 😜

Reply 26 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawnmoth wrote:

Under Windows 2000 FFVII would crash back to the desktop at just about every transition but under XP those crashes disappeared. The Chocobo races still crashed but 1) That wasn't MS's fault and 2) It's been fixed.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 27 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawnmoth wrote:

And no, I'm not joking - I would seriously like to see screenshots of the other horrible GUI's... not because I think they're good, but because they're fun to make fun off 😜

Hm, haven't found any screenshots of the GUI in Hackers (even harder since I haven't seen the movie yet), but I did find a nice description:
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/359/359189p1.html

For the most part, comp lits will forgive certain things involving the peripheral use of computers in film – heck, it gives them […]
Show full quote

For the most part, comp lits will forgive certain things involving the peripheral use of computers in film – heck, it gives them something to make fun of later. But if you try and make a movie that revolves around computers, then the gloves are off. Everything better be right, or there will be trouble. So, for moviemakers, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you make a movie about computers and you dumb it down for the masses, then a certain demographic that can provide your flick with some credibility (the computer geeks) will eat you alive (and with the massive word of mouth power the net now holds, that's a bad thing). If you keep it real for the engineers, then the bulk of the Cineplex-going herd will give a big, collective "duh, huh?"

So what's to be done? Well, there are a number of things you can do. And most of them were done in Hackers. Let's make a list (lists are good)...

Problem One: You can't use the standard GUI interface today's operating systems have. Mostly, this is because you can't make them big enough or simple enough. When you're filming a close up shot of a computer screen, and you need the viewers to get what you're trying to show them, then the text better be big and there shouldn't be any distracting extras. This whole issue becomes twice as important when you think about shrinking the picture down for a television format.

Solution: If you have to make your own graphical user interface, go the distance. Make it way out there. At least the elite will know you're having fun. In Hackers, there isn't anything even approaching a normal computer screen.

Problem Two: Most people don't want to see gibberish or boring text lists. Unfortunately that's what you see a lot of when you're doing serious work on a computer.

Solution: Abstract everything. In Hackers anything that would normally be crunchy and screens upon screen of scrolling alphanumeric soup was abstracted. Are the kids dipping into a company mainframe? No command prompts, just fractal ferns, waving gently into infinity.

The results were pretty cool in my opinion, but it wasn't enough to win a wide audience. The few still think it's goofy and inaccurate and the many didn't get it. That, however, often perfectly describes a bottom shelf movie.

Another useful link:
http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/comments/23352.html

No, WAIT! Is this it?
hackers.jpg

As for Swordfish: This is the only thing I found, but I have the wrong side 😉:
swordfish6_L.JPG

A website that had screenshots/video clips of all the GUIs ever seen in film or television would be VERY cool.

BTW, go to Google and plug in "LCARS". 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing - a lot of times the art guys are the ones who create such GUIs... naturally, the Macintosh is still pretty dominant in that field.... 'nuff said.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 31 of 32, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yuck...This is typical Bill Gates crud. I'll bet you the next DosBox update he swiped at least part of that from KDE or Mac Os, maybe -both-. Who knows? Maybe a little money here, a few spies there, and a little threatening just in case...

I'm with Snover on sticking with the 'Classic Windows' look. If it isn't broken, don't fix it, Microsoft! Could somebody please give me -one- good reason for completely switching everything around and driving all us users crazy?!

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.