Topic actions

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36866470

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36857370

VHS production after all these years end this month, thought that it died years ago.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 20, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Read the news today... I won't miss it at all 😉

It's hard to believe, but my family never had one. I sometimes used to watch movies at my friends.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 20, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha! I recently did a Blu-ray to SVHS dub, complete with Dolby Surround compatible audio. It actually wasn't half bad! 🤣

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 4 of 20, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

It will not be missed Unlike laserdisc that still has as fallowing.

You may be surprised, how many people collect vhs. A lot of movies, are only available on vhs. That alone makes them collectable. There where even digital tapedecks that had hd video and surround sound.

Reply 5 of 20, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you kidding. There's nothing that could replace the VCR...my mom knew how to put in the tape and press record. Nowadays, she doesn't know how to turn on the tv ("switch to hdmi input, find the settopbox remote, turn on the stb, etc...").

Sure you can Netflix, torrent, ... whatever you like but not everything can be found online. Sometimes you just wish you could press record and store something without the DRM, without paying extra for timeshift and having it stored somewhere on the cloud. I just wish you could put the tape on the shelf and know it's gonna sit there (until dad overwrites it accidentally 🤣).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 6 of 20, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
seob wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

You may be surprised, how many people collect vhs. A lot of movies, are only available on vhs. That alone makes them collectable. There where even digital tapedecks that had hd video and surround sound.

Most movies not available on dvd or bluray are on laserdisc. I can only think of 2 or 3 movies that are only on vhs. And most ld payers have surround sound, Some payers could do hd as well. most disks had multiple audio channels and subtitles. How many vhs tapes have 5.1 surround sound and a commentary? Oh and 480i was standard with ld's. The only thing vhs has on ld is being able to record video and technically ld could do that too.

Ohh and here's a good site for finding all the info on movies released on older formats
http://www.lddb.com/list.php

Reply 8 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait a minute, they were still manufacturing VHS tapes? I could have sworn they quit making those a number of years ago. Hopefully there's still a good stock of blanks kicking around, since I'd like to try amateur filmmaking with a VHS camera.

Reply 9 of 20, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They probably quit making S-VHS tapes and machines a while ago.

I still have a few JVC VCRs (a pro svhs model, and consumer vhs and svhs models). The consumer VHS was a pricey model I purchased back when all you could rent was VHS tapes. The S-VHS was purchased around 2000 when most VHS were not mainstream anymore (great deal online for that). And the Pro model I purchased a few years ago because I wanted it for my analog video editing collection.

SVHS is not dvd quality but passable, VHS looks like crap these days compared to DVD and very bad compared to HD tv.

VHS tapes should still be made for a while if the machines are just now being EOL.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meh, I grew up with Betamax. VHS has never been popular in Indonesia.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 20, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess I better get on the ball and do that transfer of the original 3 unedited Star Wars films into a digital format while I still have a working machine.
Yes I know this is technically "naughty" but I have no intent to distribute they are just for my personal use. Yeah I know I could get better copies by getting the Criterion Laserdisc collection but I really don't want another thing to have to maintain. Unfortunately the VCR that I still have is one of those dirt-cheap VHS/DVD combos that they were selling for a while there that probably won't do the best transfer when I attempt to capture the output (I doubt it has S-video).

Reply 12 of 20, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this reminds me that I need to continue capturing some old tapes with my bt878 card; trouble is cleaning the heads and tapes with all that mold and dust 😵

oh well, my old tapes lasted better than my old CDs

Reply 13 of 20, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
snorg wrote:

Guess I better get on the ball and do that transfer of the original 3 unedited Star Wars films into a digital format while I still have a working machine.

Got to love the original edits! I have them on ld. The effects were so much cooler despite how cheesy they were. empire strikes back was offal you can see where the cut and pasted tie fighters into the seens.

Reply 14 of 20, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The rarest and most collectible titles will forever be on VHS. There are plenty of gems worldwide which go for top money. Especially the Horror, and Giallo films. The packaging on some of the old big box and clamshell tapes is excellent, especially the tapes from France and Spain. I could go on and on 😀

VHS will never die !

Reply 16 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually used VHS to record radio broadcasts. You could get 8 hours of audio onto one of those tapes. Mono of course, but better than nothing when you couldn't be around to swap audio cassette tapes. (Holidays etc.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 20, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:
Most movies not available on dvd or bluray are on laserdisc. I can only think of 2 or 3 movies that are only on vhs. And most ld […]
Show full quote
seob wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Most movies not available on dvd or bluray are on laserdisc. I can only think of 2 or 3 movies that are only on vhs. And most ld payers have surround sound, Some payers could do hd as well. most disks had multiple audio channels and subtitles. How many vhs tapes have 5.1 surround sound and a commentary? Oh and 480i was standard with ld's. The only thing vhs has on ld is being able to record video and technically ld could do that too.

Ohh and here's a good site for finding all the info on movies released on older formats
http://www.lddb.com/list.php

Problem is that laserdiscs was never popular in my country, because of that it's hard to get a nice collection of ld's over here. That's why i sold my ld collection. Also cd based technologie doesn't last as long as tape media does. Had a few ld's that had bit rot.

Reply 19 of 20, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some home movies I still need to digitize from VHS. 🙁 My VCR can't play SP tapes either. I do have an old video camera that records to VHS, but the adapter is blown and the batteries won't hold a charge anymore.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.