VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every generation complains and looks down with contempt on the generation that follows them.

You may as well complain about the sun shining.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are some damn kids on my damn lawn goddamnit.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 26, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is hard to say what most people think in general but as for my generation the younger ones are into the fad stuff that you old farts take notice. I hate modern gaming consoles and all the touchscreens ect especially windows 8, hell I hardly even use mobile phones oh well.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 22 of 26, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I like about modern gaming is multi player. It was extremely limited and rare 20 years ago. We only started doing mini lanparties around 1997-1998, if my memory serves me.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 23 of 26, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a hunch that the youngsters think that we have very little knowledge about modern PCs and games.

I then rattle off to them:

DIR/ON/B/AD/S C:\DOS\*.* > DIR.TXT

...OR:

DOOM2.EXE -warp 01 -skill 4 -devparm -opl3 -phase -file COLORMAP\050.WAD MAPMARK\MAPMARK.WAD WADS\TNT31.WAD

...to which I usually get blank stares <GRIN> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 24 of 26, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As there is a natural tendency for evolution(for good or bad) in almost everything, the younger generation may actually be smarter than the older generations mostly on an average scale. Again this cannot be generalized as there can be exceptions.

I don't think anyone has understood the source or origin of the prodigy/genius characteristics in a human being. Again the genius thing is mostly restricted to some 'area' or 'field' only and probably brings down the level of some other characteristics(absent-mindedness, eccentricity etc.). Almost makes me think, it is akin to the distribution of a fixed number of 'experience' points among the various attributes/skills of a playable 'character' while starting a game, which we then go ahead developing them. The more you spend your resources on (or) train a particular attribute, the more it develops. Whatever that governs(or not governs???) the working(???) of the Universe is doing a similar thing with us or what. Alternatively it might be just the continuity of the knowledge/wisdom from previous births(where am I getting here?).

Crazy thoughts aside, on a larger scale, the increased smartness might be due to the readily available inputs(huge) in the form of media(Web mainly) which we didn't have or only had at a later stage. This is not to belittle the younger generations as I had been taken aback few times(the catch is, not necessarily because they are younger than me). However IMO, I can't accept that my relatively older generation is in anyway inferior to the younger generation.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 25 of 26, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being able to use technology does not automatically imply somebody is intelligent. Sorry, the younger generation as a whole (in North America) really doesn't impress me. I'm not a big fan of my own generation either, but the younger ones are even bigger tards than we are. It's mostly due to the dumbing down of the education system and the advocacy of degenerate lifestyles. I don't blame young people (I actually feel their pain), it's mostly because the boomers are greedy asshats and refuse to step aside. They'd rather squander everything and take down entire nations than invest some resources in young people and the future.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 26 of 26, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello folks, I hope you are all well. I couldn't hold my fingers to a quick reply on this thread. I have just turned 33, and being MS-DOS my school, I can safely tell that, to this very day, most of the things I learned on DOS are of great use. Playing on it with Dosbox is the best way to refresh my knowledge and also that's how I have been teaching my 11 year old cousin to make good use of the PC, both for useful commands and the greeeeeat games which I will die playing. So it is very unlikely we will get obsolete, especially the Y generation. Just my thoughts! You all take care! 😀

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John