VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

F-22 Lightning II - on Pentium 100. 😵

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played games like Unreal Tournament 3 and Age of Empires 3 on Geforce 6500. Only lowest settings were playable and the games looked pathetic with that. In AoE3 on highest detail half of the screen went black and the effects were displayed as squares, even though the card should have technically been able to pull it off. I recall in STALKER leaving the first building would result in all of the environment graphics being displayed as a hall of mirrors mess.

I also used to play the UT2004 demo a lot on Kyro II and probably also Radeon 9250 or 9200. I don't remember much but both cards were pretty bad for the game. One of them eventually started showing something like wireframes after overheating...

Reply 22 of 23, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I currently play Unreal version 225f on a machine running a Pentium 3 at 700 MHz (I think? I don't remember the number), 256 MB of RAM, SB Live! (so I can use Latency=0 in GalaxyAudioSubsystem), and a SLI Voodoo 2 card arrangement.

The only time I ever had bad framerate playing Unreal is with certain light effects, otherwise the game is 30-60 FPS solid.

I used same machine to play Gunmetal until I realized the hard waythat the directx version is incredibly unstable and takes the whole computer out if it crashes for whatever reason... Ironically the game is more stable in a VirtualBox environment running MS-DOS...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 23, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost forgot....Leisure Suit Larry and monkey island on friends atari 520st...8mhz processor and no hard drive meant waiting forever for the next screen to load...same scenario when playing kings quest 4 on a friend's ibm ps1 system with no hdd.

I have a tandy 1000hx which again has no hdd and I just recently tried out kings quest 3 on that...it was actually not too bad but still slow as molasses compared to later 386 standards for these old sierra games....I find the slow 8mhz speed and fdd disk access too be noticeable only when trying to increase speed for walking faster and on screen transitions of course...man it takes forever for king Graham to walk across the screen on normal speed on an XT class system! I like being able to play all these sierra games on a 486 now....still have the compatibility of an older system but more speed to be able to pretty much sprint across the screen if you feel like it 🤣