VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw this on one of our news sites. Quite amusing watching current generation young kids try figure out an Apple ][ 😀

Reply 3 of 10, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

I don't see how this is any different from kids in the 1970s reacting to an Apple II. It's foreign and imposing and has a learning curve.

Ah yes that dreaded learning curve, which is true, however I think a lot of people now a days, regardless of age will give up quite quickly.

You see that want instant satisfaction and challenges are not their cup of tea 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reminds me of the day I got an obsolete IBM 286 from my grandmothers work. My first computer at the age of 9. Both me and my grandmother didn't have a clue how to use it.

It booted up and I was stuck at the dosprompt until my uncle came and showed me some basic commands.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though I wasn't really "around" for them, I still remember messing around on an Apple IIGS, as well as on an Apple IIe one of my dad's friends gave me. I don't exactly remember how I figured out how to use them, but the demo disk that came with the IIe certainly helped. Using Apple DOS 3.3 is a lot like using MS-DOS, just with a slightly different method of running programs ("BRUN" for binaries, and "RUN" for BASIC programs), as well as a lack of directories.

Reply 6 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First time i got my PC i disassembled it in like 2 weeks after. Found an pentium processor 133MHz somewhere on the junk yard and replaced the AMD K5 (latter to notice Pentium 133 was crap compared to it ). Had to turn it on with a broom stick hiding behind a door because i wasn't sure will it explode because i didn't know did i connect the power wires well 🤣

Good times.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 7 of 10, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
F2bnp wrote:

Yikes. Same channel made me feel super old with this video as well.

And I'm just 20 🙁

You're not the only one (looks at the 3 walkmans in one of his dresser drawers 😐 ). And since I'm almost 50, watching this makes me feel more like Methuselah 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, what's the problem? You insert the diskette into the drive, you close the drive, and turn on the computer.

It's not like the C64, where you're kind of screwed if you don't know about LOAD"*",8,1 .

Reply 10 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had a true "first experience" with a computer or gaming system until I was 10. Up to that point, other people who already knew how to use them would introduce me to the things, thus I would learn how to use them very quickly and could then use them on my own accord with minimal effort.

When I was 10, our Grade 5 classroom for the first elementary school I attended for the school year decided to set up an old TRS-80. (I THINK it was a TRS-80, I'm not 100% sure, might've been a Tandy CoCo, or something else entirely...) Either way, no one in the classroom could really figure out how to use the thing, not even the teacher, despite the fact it had a manual with tutorials and everything. That was where I first learned how to program because I was determined to get that thing working. I'd made a couple small games for everyone in the class to play during my free time following assignments and that was the start of my long trek through programming games. :B

Incidentally, I've only been face-to-face with an Apple ][ once in my entire life and I don't even remember where it was. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg