What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 5360 of 6009, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2023-10-06, 15:34:

I'll be curious to hear your opinion on the first one (the only one I've played so far) and then on the rest of them as well.

Well, I'm only a couple of hours in right now, but BioShock does seem quite interesting. I like the retro aesthetic. It reminds me of Fallout, especially the artwork on the posters. On the other hand, the gameplay is very reminiscent of System Shock 2, in the sense that you're thrown into a hostile environment and the only seemingly friendly person is contacting you remotely. Having played SS2 in the past, I think I can kinda guess where this is going.

BioShock's graphics have held up nicely to this day, in no small part due to its unique art style. The sound design is very good too, and the EAX implementation seems to be great so far. There were some really nice occlusion and reverb effects at the very start of the game, when you first descend into Rapture, and that Splicer starts banging on the sphere.

The mix of "magic" powers and standard weapons is pretty cool. I particularly like how the environment reacts to certain powers, like water conducting electricity and such. I'll add more impressions as I progress further into the game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5361 of 6009, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-07, 08:12:
Well, I'm only a couple of hours in right now, but BioShock does seem quite interesting. I like the retro aesthetic. It reminds […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote on 2023-10-06, 15:34:

I'll be curious to hear your opinion on the first one (the only one I've played so far) and then on the rest of them as well.

Well, I'm only a couple of hours in right now, but BioShock does seem quite interesting. I like the retro aesthetic. It reminds me of Fallout, especially the artwork on the posters. On the other hand, the gameplay is very reminiscent of System Shock 2, in the sense that you're thrown into a hostile environment and the only seemingly friendly person is contacting you remotely. Having played SS2 in the past, I think I can kinda guess where this is going.

BioShock's graphics have held up nicely to this day, in no small part due to its unique art style. The sound design is very good too, and the EAX implementation seems to be great so far. There were some really nice occlusion and reverb effects at the very start of the game, when you first descend into Rapture, and that Splicer starts banging on the sphere.

The mix of "magic" powers and standard weapons is pretty cool. I particularly like how the environment reacts to certain powers, like water conducting electricity and such. I'll add more impressions as I progress further into the game.

I completed Bioshock a few years ago and Bioshock 2 earlier this year. The one thing I struggle with is the amount of work and technology that would have to be involved to make such an under-sea city, and for that to be accomplished in the equivalent of the 1950s? I kept finding myself saying "Yeah, right" and it ended up tainting the gaming experience for me. I find a distant space station in the future with an AI that goes rogue due to removal of ethical restraints much more believable then a vast under-sea city built with 1950s technology. That said, I still enjoyed the games enough to complete them, and at some point I will play Bioshock Infinite (all while muttering "yeah, right" constantly 😉 )

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5362 of 6009, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My weird association of winter weather and DOS RPGs got off to a start this morning. After a brutal summer, this was the first morning since the end of last winter that the temperatures dipped into the 30s. The heater kicked on for the first time and I put a sweat jacket on and brewed a cup of coffee. Then I loaded up Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession on my 486 and created my starting party. There's no better gaming experience for me than playing an RPG on a DOS PC on an early winter morning before the sun rises.

I've been researching the game for several weeks, so I had a good idea of my starting party: Male Paladin and Female Half-Elf Mage/Cleric. So far all I've done is create the characters, memorize spells, and create an initial save game. I actually want to finish my other game first (Metro Exodus). So back to that game for now.

Reply 5363 of 6009, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-10-06, 17:50:

Are you mainly into single player games? I think most of the nostalgia for Quake has to do with the deathmatches people used to play. I found the single player fun at the time, but not groundbreaking.

That's a good point, and yes, I mostly play single player games. But even so, I can't recall anyone saying that Quake's single player was lacking. Or criticizing it's looks, even though to me it's 255 shades of brown colour scheme, and it' very similar looking levels, and lack of interactive environmental objects/features made the game boring to look at.

Bioshock looks and sounds beautiful, and is amazingly atmospheric. It also plays very well, is imaginative, thought provoking, and it's story is interesting enough to provide quite a lot of fan-fiction and many fan-theories. On the minus side, the game can become too easy on repeated playthroughs when you've mastered the upgrade systems (and in fact, the game really seems to want you to complete it, such as there being ammunition for you to pick up everywhere, the way you can pay a machine to let you auto-hack it (who would design a vending machine, security device, etc, like that?), the way a simple hack can change a machine to target your enemies instead of you, etc), after the big revelation the game's enjoyment levels drops off a cliff, the final boss battle is awful (it's too easy, it doesn't 'fee' like it should be in the game, it isn't believable that the extremely intelligent and manipulative enemy who is so used to sending others to do his dirty work would now choose to fight you when he now ruled Rapture and could have used it's assets against you), and so on.

Many System Shock 2 fans really dislike Bioshock because Bioshock was hyped up to be the spiritual successor to SS2 but then turned out to be very simplified, and actually a different genre (Bioshock is a very pretty first person shooter with light RPG elements, whereas System Shock 2 is an RPG with first person shooter mechanics), and Bioshock's lack of gameplay depth when compared to SS2 really disappointed SS2 fans. The two games do have their similarities in story, characters, situations, and so on, but the games play different enough that it's possible to love one game but really dislike the other.

BTW, if after playing Bioshock 1 and 2, you want to experience more of the city Rapture, then you might want to read the novel based on the two games, BioShock: Rapture. It's a good book, much better than most novels based on video games, and it doesn't just regurgitate texts and situations from the two games, but it does a good job of building upon them, and fleshing out the story with non-game characters and situations. Don't read it until you've finished both games though, to avoid spoilers.

Bioshock 2 is a much better game, gameplay-wise, than the first game, in my opinion. It fixes most of the first game's flaws, for example, the final battle 'feels' like the rest of the game, the enjoyment factor is consistent throughout the whole game, there are more upgrade paths for your character build, better weapons, you have more choice in what gene tonics you wish to equip in Bioshock 2 because they are no longer separated into the types Combat/Physical/Engineering instead you can now put any gene tonic into any of your eighteen slots, a slightly better morality system, the bot-pathing for the flying turrets is now better, and various other improvements.

On the minus side, Bioshock 2's main characters don't perhaps seem as memorable as those in Bioshock 2, Bioshock 2 has no such equivalent as the magnificent first view of Rapture (when in Bioshock 1, you are going down in the bathysphere, and you first see Rapture - one of the best visual introductions in any game ever), B2 doesn't do much to make your gameplay as a Big Daddy feel too different to playing as a human in the first game, although you can walk on the ocean floor in B2 you still don't get a real feeling of freedom because these areas are so small and utterly enclosed, and we still don't get any of Rapture's mysteries explained.

I am no fan of Bioshock: Infinite, though. It is frequently very beautiful and atmospheric, and Elizabeth is well written, but otherwise I found it very disappointing. The combat is slimmed down even more, the game's mechanics and situations are much too similar to Bioshock 1 and 2 and they just feel out of place(for example, you can freely purchase all sorts of weapons and offensive vigors (Infinite's versions of plasmids) in Bioshock: Infinite, which sort of made sense in Rapture due to the civil war there and Ryan's insistence that anything could be sold on the open market, but this makes no sense in a peaceful and law abiding society - why would you be allowed to buy explosives or vigors that hack machines or cause humans to commit suicide? Plus in Rapture, the population were insane which explains why you searched bins, because the lunatics stored money and edible food in the bins, but that wouldn't happen with the sane people who make up most of Bioshock: Infinite), Bioshock: Infinite came out missing many of the features and abilities that made the game's preview videos so interesting, the story (which started out well) feels all over the place and the story's end is pretentious drivel. I found the game really disappointing, overall.

clueless1 wrote on 2023-10-07, 13:19:

I completed Bioshock a few years ago and Bioshock 2 earlier this year. The one thing I struggle with is the amount of work and technology that would have to be involved to make such an under-sea city, and for that to be accomplished in the equivalent of the 1950s? I kept finding myself saying "Yeah, right" and it ended up tainting the gaming experience for me. I find a distant space station in the future with an AI that goes rogue due to removal of ethical restraints much more believable then a vast under-sea city built with 1950s technology. That said, I still enjoyed the games enough to complete them, and at some point I will play Bioshock Infinite (all while muttering "yeah, right" constantly 😉 )

Oh, the city of Rapture made no scientific sense, agreed. The buildings looked very similar or identical to how real-life land-based buildings look, when instead Rapture would be domed/hemispherical to counter the immense pressure of the weight of the ocean permanently pressing upon the buildings, short wave radios probably wouldn't work on the bottom of the ocean (I could be wrong though?), visibility at that depth would be so low that everything on the outsides of the buildings (neon signs, architectural features, even the buildings themselves) wouldn't be visible, there might (again, not sure) be problems with using normal air in (airtight, of course) buildings at that depth of the ocean, it's utterly insane to let people (let alone drug-spliced lunatics) use ballistic and explosive weapons in environments that contain glass windows and walls holding back a trillion tons of water, etc.

The lack of logic of Rapture's environments never bothered me, though. The game never claimed to be realistic, and I do think that realism should only be in a game if it enhances the game, which is rarely the case. Though having said that, I do think that Rapture suffered from a flaw in that the homes/living areas in the game didn't feel live in (a flaw it shares with Bioshock 2, System Shock 2, Prey (2017), and countless other games), and a little more realism in Rapture's living areas (more pot plants, unique pictures and furniture, varying wallpaper/paint/items of property, etc) would really hep with the immersion factor.

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2023-10-08, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5364 of 6009, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2023-10-07, 18:26:

Are you mainly into single player games? I think most of the nostalgia for Quake has to do with the deathmatches people used to play. I found the single player fun at the time, but not groundbreaking.

That's a good point, and yes, I mostly play single player games. But even so, I can't recall anyone saying that Quake's single player was lacking. Or criticizing it's looks, even though to me it's 255 shades of brown colour scheme, and it' very similar looking levels, and lack of interactive environmental objects/features made the game boring to look at.

It's funny this comes up, because I've been playing the Quake campaign coop in the remastered version with some old friends of mine. We're having an absolute blast. At least until episode 4's Sandy Peterson bullshit levels. His Doom levels never bothered me the way they do other people, but his Quake levels are absolute trash.

But all in all I love Quake's campaign. The levels overall have a much stronger sense of place than Doom's levels. I feel like the level design team at id software transitioned to full 3d level design well, and they have a fantastic flow, with lots of shortcuts and secrets.

Except for Sandy Peterson.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5365 of 6009, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, the city of Rapture made no scientific sense, agreed. The buildings looked very similar or identical to how real-life land-based buildings look, when instead Rapture would be domed/hemispherical to counter the immense pressure of the weight of the ocean permanently pressing upon the buildings, short wave radios probably wouldn't work on the bottom of the ocean (I could be wrong though?), visibility at that depth would be so low that everything on the outsides of the buildings (neon signs, architectural features, even the buildings themselves) wouldn't be visible, there might (again, not sure) be problems with using normal air in (airtight, of course) air at that depth of the ocean, it's utterly insane to let people (let alone drug-spliced lunatics) use ballistic and explosive weapons in environments that contain glass windows and walls holding back a trillion tons of water, etc.

The lack of logic of Rapture's environments never bothered me, though. The game never claimed to be realistic, and I do think that realism should only be in a game if it enhances the game, which is rarely the case. Though having said that, I do think that Rapture suffered from a flaw in that the homes/living areas in the game didn't feel live in (a flaw it shares with Bioshock 2, System Shock 2, Prey (2017), and countless other games), and a little more realism in Rapture's living areas (more pot plants, unique pictures and furniture, varying wallpaper/paint/items of property, etc) would really hep with the immersion factor.

If they bothered to give a good explanation on *HOW* the under-sea city was built with 1950's technology, that would've made all the difference. But either it's not there, or I missed it completely. I'm really good about letting things like that go, though, and still enjoy what's there.

Reply 5366 of 6009, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-30, 23:40:

Been playing through Black Mesa. It's good, but I'm not getting the same vibes from it as I do whenever I replay Half Life 1. I'm not sure what I don't like as much about it, but it might be how the gunplay fits with the graphics. Being more modern, I feel like I should be able to aim down the gunsights in Black Mesa, but that's not an option (at least with the latest build on Steam). I'm not finding it as interesting now that I'm up against the soldiers. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of ammo trying to snipe them from a distance when I can't zoom in on what I'm aiming at.

It doesn't help that I can't play for long without getting nauseous. For some reason, the source engine does that to me, even with the FOV cranked up.

I've never been made nauseous, but I have noticed when playing both Black Mesa and Half-Life Echoes that I experience a sort of eye strain that I haven't when playing anything else. It has gotten uncomfortable enough that I felt compelled to take a break

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5367 of 6009, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2023-10-07, 21:34:

If they bothered to give a good explanation on *HOW* the under-sea city was built with 1950's technology, that would've made all the difference. But either it's not there, or I missed it completely. I'm really good about letting things like that go, though, and still enjoy what's there.

No, there isn't, other than a few diorama/statue displays in Bioshock 2's Rapture Museum part of the level Ryan Amusements.

It might be explained a little more in the (surprisingly good) official Novel Bioshock: Rapture, I can't remember, sorry.

Reply 5368 of 6009, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
That's a good point, and yes, I mostly play single player games. But even so, I can't recall anyone saying that Quake's single p […]
Show full quote

Bioshock looks and sounds beautiful, and is amazingly atmospheric. It also plays very well, is imaginative, thought provoking, and it's story is interesting enough to provide quite a lot of fan-fiction and many fan-theories. On the minus side, the game can become too easy on repeated playthroughs when you've mastered the upgrade systems (and in fact, the game really seems to want you to complete it, such as there being ammunition for you to pick up everywhere, the way you can pay a machine to let you auto-hack it (who would design a vending machine, security device, etc, like that?), the way a simple hack can change a machine to target your enemies instead of you, etc), after the big revelation the game's enjoyment levels drops off a cliff, the final boss battle is awful (it's too easy, it doesn't 'fee' like it should be in the game, it isn't believable that the extremely intelligent and manipulative enemy who is so used to sending others to do his dirty work would now choose to fight you when he now ruled Rapture and could have used it's assets against you), and so on.

Many System Shock 2 fans really dislike Bioshock because Bioshock was hyped up to be the spiritual successor to SS2 but then turned out to be very simplified, and actually a different genre (Bioshock is a very pretty first person shooter with light RPG elements, whereas System Shock 2 is an RPG with first person shooter mechanics), and Bioshock's lack of gameplay depth when compared to SS2 really disappointed SS2 fans. The two games do have their similarities in story, characters, situations, and so on, but the games play different enough that it's possible to love one game but really dislike the other.

BTW, if after playing Bioshock 1 and 2, you want to experience more of the city Rapture, then you might want to read the novel based on the two games, BioShock: Rapture. It's a good book, much better than most novels based on video games, and it doesn't just regurgitate texts and situations from the two games, but it does a good job of building upon them, and fleshing out the story with non-game characters and situations. Don't read it until you've finished both games though, to avoid spoilers.

Bioshock 2 is a much better game, gameplay-wise, than the first game, in my opinion. It fixes most of the first game's flaws, for example, the final battle 'feels' like the rest of the game, the enjoyment factor is consistent throughout the whole game, there are more upgrade paths for your character build, better weapons, you have more choice in what gene tonics you wish to equip in Bioshock 2 because they are no longer separated into the types Combat/Physical/Engineering instead you can now put any gene tonic into any of your eighteen slots, a slightly better morality system, the bot-pathing for the flying turrets is now better, and various other improvements.

On the minus side, Bioshock 2's main characters don't perhaps seem as memorable as those in Bioshock 2, Bioshock 2 has no such equivalent as the magnificent first view of Rapture (when in Bioshock 1, you are going down in the bathysphere, and you first see Rapture - one of the best visual introductions in any game ever), B2 doesn't do much to make your gameplay as a Big Daddy feel too different to playing as a human in the first game, although you can walk on the ocean floor in B2 you still don't get a real feeling of freedom because these areas are so small and utterly enclosed, and we still don't get any of Rapture's mysteries explained.

I am no fan of Bioshock: Infinite, though. It is frequently very beautiful and atmospheric, and Elizabeth is well written, but otherwise I found it very disappointing. The combat is slimmed down even more, the game's mechanics and situations are much too similar to Bioshock 1 and 2 and they just feel out of place(for example, you can freely purchase all sorts of weapons and offensive vigors (Infinite's versions of plasmids) in Bioshock: Infinite, which sort of made sense in Rapture due to the civil war there and Ryan's insistence that anything could be sold on the open market, but this makes no sense in a peaceful and law abiding society - why would you be allowed to buy explosives or vigors that hack machines or cause humans to commit suicide? Plus in Rapture, the population were insane which explains why you searched bins, because the lunatics stored money and edible food in the bins, but that wouldn't happen with the sane people who make up most of Bioshock: Infinite), Bioshock: Infinite came out missing many of the features and abilities that made the game's preview videos so interesting, the story (which started out well) feels all over the place and the story's end is pretentious drivel. I found the game really disappointing, overall.

clueless1 wrote on 2023-10-07, 13:19:

Oh, the city of Rapture made no scientific sense, agreed. The buildings looked very similar or identical to how real-life land-based buildings look, when instead Rapture would be domed/hemispherical to counter the immense pressure of the weight of the ocean permanently pressing upon the buildings, short wave radios probably wouldn't work on the bottom of the ocean (I could be wrong though?), visibility at that depth would be so low that everything on the outsides of the buildings (neon signs, architectural features, even the buildings themselves) wouldn't be visible, there might (again, not sure) be problems with using normal air in (airtight, of course) buildings at that depth of the ocean, it's utterly insane to let people (let alone drug-spliced lunatics) use ballistic and explosive weapons in environments that contain glass windows and walls holding back a trillion tons of water, etc.

Shortwave wouldn't work underwater, but going to really long ones can. However, the devil is in the details. To penetrate more than a few metres, you would need a heavy duty transmitter. Not really a solution to the radio question, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

Reply 5369 of 6009, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pillars of Eternity
I'm partway into Act II, and I am really enjoying this now! I'm glad I decided to give it another chance.

The mechanics are completely different from AD&D, but once you get into the game, they aren't really that different. It's very cool how you can enchant your weapons at any time (assuming you have the right materials, usually dropped by monsters). This is something I completely ignored during my first couple of attempts, but it really adds up. I added fire damage to a few weapons (and also enhanced that with a talent that adds a bonus to fire damage), and also added the "Fine" quality to some equipment. I also started using my per-encounter abilities more often (every encounter), and it makes a huge difference. The game seemed overwhelming at first with all the abilities, resistances, and damage type, but the game actually eases you into it, so it's not a big problem.

The game does not appear to be level scaled, which is a good thing. I've run into encounters that seemed completely impossible early in, and have then gone back several levels later and wiped the floor with the enemies. Good RPG stuff.

I also like how much information the game gives you. You have an extremely detailed combat log, but also just hovering your mouse cursor over an enemy will give you a detailed breakdown on that enemy's stats, resistances, etc. If you are barely damaging some enemy, it's really easy to figure out why.

Finally, the quests are really good. They typically have multiple solutions, and several solutions are usually based on your stats. I know this, because by default the game will show all possible dialog options in a given encounter, including options you don't have access to (and what stat, etc. would be needed to select it). It makes you want to replay the game with a completely different character just to access those options that were locked.

Reply 5370 of 6009, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Metro Exodus
I just finished Metro Exodus with the "good" ending. Took me 26.5 hours. It was easily the best game of the trilogy with a very satisfying ending. I like how the game takes you out of the underground tunnels that were the main setting of the first two games and gives you lots of different outdoor settings to play in. Forest, desert, sun and rain. Then at the end of the game, you're right back in the underground and bitter winter that most of the previous two games were set in. Then the endgame...very cool. No spoilers.

So there are two DLCs: The Two Colonels and Sam's Story. I do want to play them, but I'm also itching to start Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession. So I'll probably start Ravenloft, then use the two DLCs to mix things up if I start getting burned out on the RPG.

Reply 5371 of 6009, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2023-09-25, 12:36:
Started playing Unreal (1998). […]
Show full quote

Started playing Unreal (1998).

I'm enjoying it: really good level design, graphics and overall fun and challenging, mostly on enemy combat.

I'm playing it on a P2 400MHz and a 3Dfx Voodoo2, 640x480 resolution: runs ok, with frame drops on big areas or when a lot of things/particles are on screen.

Only bad thing: it crashes when I access the Advanced Settings menu (tried to apply a patch but then the game would crash on start 😅).

Continuing my journey in Unreal (1998).

In the meantime, I started Red Dead Redemption 2.
I heard it's the Rockstar game with the most attention to details, so I think I'll enjoy it (as I enjoyed the GTA games).
As you can see from the screenshot, for now I just completed the tutorials.

Attachments

• rdr2.jpeg
    Filename
    rdr2.jpeg
    File size
    184.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 5372 of 6009, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only bad thing: it crashes when I access the Advanced Settings menu (tried to apply a patch but then the game would crash on start 😅).

That's always been a problem with 3dfx drivers. Because you can't run Glide in a window, Unreal has to switch to the software renderer when this happens, but most of the time minimizing a glide game or even having it switch modes like that will trigger a crash.

I don't know what patch you tried to install but if you're playing on real hardware, you just need the "225f" patch. Or at the very least "224v". HyperNL still mirrors both of these on his personal website, but they're contained in 7z files. (Which is goofy because the patches themselves are in a self-extracting zip anyways...)

http://www.hypercoop.tk/files-patches.htm Scroll down until you find "Unreal Patch 225f". Remember to have your ORIGINAL RETAIL CD-ROM, the delta compression method Epic used will fail if the files don't match the original retail CD-ROM release.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5373 of 6009, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2023-10-10, 00:04:
That's always been a problem with 3dfx drivers. Because you can't run Glide in a window, Unreal has to switch to the software re […]
Show full quote

That's always been a problem with 3dfx drivers. Because you can't run Glide in a window, Unreal has to switch to the software renderer when this happens, but most of the time minimizing a glide game or even having it switch modes like that will trigger a crash.

I don't know what patch you tried to install but if you're playing on real hardware, you just need the "225f" patch. Or at the very least "224v". HyperNL still mirrors both of these on his personal website, but they're contained in 7z files. (Which is goofy because the patches themselves are in a self-extracting zip anyways...)

http://www.hypercoop.tk/files-patches.htm Scroll down until you find "Unreal Patch 225f". Remember to have your ORIGINAL RETAIL CD-ROM, the delta compression method Epic used will fail if the files don't match the original retail CD-ROM release.

Yep, tried 225f but it crashes on start.
In the end, I'm doing fine with the CD version so I'll leave it as it is.

Reply 5374 of 6009, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aliens vs. Predator 2

It's the spooky season, but I've never been a fan of actual horror. The constant darkness, cheap jump scares and limited ability to fight back the genre is full of just tends to annoy the hell out of me. But what I am a huge fan of is strongly atmospheric "horror-lite" if you will, and one of my favorite examples of this has always been AvP2, alongside with System Shock 2. But even though I really liked it and beat the game several times back in the day for some reason I haven't played it in ages, if it hasn't yet been 20 years since the last time it can't be far off. Time to change that.

Got a bit rough start, turns out the game has clearly slower sensitivity for mouse Y-axis than X-axis and there doesn't seem to be any way to change that. I HATE it when developers screw around with mouse controls without giving you the option to turn their crap off, just give me 1:1 raw input for goodness sake and stuff your accelerations and other crap up where the sun doesn't shine. A pet peeve of mine. Took some effort, but after some mucking around with mouse sensitivity, mouse smoothing, and mouse DPI I found a tolerable compromise. X-axis sensitivity is still too high and Y-axis too low for my liking, but I can live with it.

But thankfully that has been the only kink so far, the actual game still holds up! I remember how the marine campaign managed to get a good sweat going and those damn air ducts were downright anxiety inducing, while the game doesn't have quite that strong effect on me anymore it does still have a nice atmosphere! The motion sensor straight from Aliens 2 is awesome, constantly tapping and reacting to everything that moves. And not everything that moves is out to get you, doors, lifts, things swinging in the wind, insects scurrying around all make the sensor go BEEP! I already got a bit startled once when it suddenly reacted to the damn locker I just opened. But since it's a motion sensor, guess what it does if you happen upon a friendly neighborhood Xeno that doesn't move? Yeah, nothing.

The good ol' Xenomorphs are quick little bastards, barreling out of the darkness right at you from all directions fast as hell, thankfully they aren't as deadly as in the movies or the game would insanely hard. On normal difficulty they don't do that much damage when they get to hugging distance but considering how easily and often that happens I'm very much ok with that.

Clearly been far too long since the last time I've played this but better late than never, I'm having a ball with it.

Reply 5375 of 6009, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2023-10-10, 07:09:

That makes no sense to me, it's the same version I used on a SLI Voodoo 2 PC my late father managed to get working again some years ago. I'm willing to blame whatever drivers you're using for your Voodoo 2 cards, everybody seems to have been trying to make "updated" drivers for those things with varying degrees of success/failure. I always stuck with the drivers that came on the CD-ROM that came with the vendor who manufactured the particular Voodoo 2 card. But, I don't remember what drivers were installed on that machine by my late father, I don't have access to said machine anymore ever since my family sold the house we all used to live in to move to a smaller place in town.

There are some really nasty bugs with just playing off of the retail disc without patches, like loading a save game causing all of your armour in your inventory to stop functioning. (You will still see armour in your inventory/HUD but you take full damage as if you had none, picking up the same armour items wont fix the problem either)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5376 of 6009, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2023-10-11, 18:34:
Demetrio wrote on 2023-10-10, 07:09:

That makes no sense to me, it's the same version I used on a SLI Voodoo 2 PC my late father managed to get working again some years ago. I'm willing to blame whatever drivers you're using for your Voodoo 2 cards, everybody seems to have been trying to make "updated" drivers for those things with varying degrees of success/failure. I always stuck with the drivers that came on the CD-ROM that came with the vendor who manufactured the particular Voodoo 2 card. But, I don't remember what drivers were installed on that machine by my late father, I don't have access to said machine anymore ever since my family sold the house we all used to live in to move to a smaller place in town.

There are some really nasty bugs with just playing off of the retail disc without patches, like loading a save game causing all of your armour in your inventory to stop functioning. (You will still see armour in your inventory/HUD but you take full damage as if you had none, picking up the same armour items wont fix the problem either)

I use the FastVoodoo drivers, they work fine with other games so don't know if they are the cause of the crash.
Or maybe I used a different patch than 225f but can't remember...

Anyway, for now, other than the Advanced Settings crash, I'm not having other issues (maybe frame drops, but I'm not sure they depend on the unpatched retail CD version).
So, after completing the game, I'll try to install the patch from the site you linked.

Thanks btw 🙂

Reply 5377 of 6009, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:00:

(maybe frame drops, but I'm not sure they depend on the unpatched retail CD version).

Framedrops are normal, if there are a lot of "animated" lights in the map and you have enough of them visible, it'll really tank the framerate. Same with those "procedural textures" provided via Fire.dll, like the animating force fields and wavy water. The "Volumetric Lighting" effect can also severely destroy your framerate depending on the surrounding geometry and the size of the textures on said level geometry. (In Unreal, the "lower" you set the texture scale to on a surface [which causes the textures to tile more] the more high res the resulting lightmap area becomes, and this can wreak absolute havoc if Volumetric Lighting covers those kinds of spots)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5378 of 6009, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:10:
Demetrio wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:00:

(maybe frame drops, but I'm not sure they depend on the unpatched retail CD version).

Framedrops are normal, if there are a lot of "animated" lights in the map and you have enough of them visible, it'll really tank the framerate. Same with those "procedural textures" provided via Fire.dll, like the animating force fields and wavy water. The "Volumetric Lighting" effect can also severely destroy your framerate depending on the surrounding geometry and the size of the textures on said level geometry. (In Unreal, the "lower" you set the texture scale to on a surface [which causes the textures to tile more] the more high res the resulting lightmap area becomes, and this can wreak absolute havoc if Volumetric Lighting covers those kinds of spots)

Yeah, I supposed it didn't depend on the game version.
In fact, if I remeber I read on other threads that both Unreal and Half-Life were heavy for the hardware of the time.

Thanks for the explanation, now I know the specific cause of these frame drops 😁

Reply 5379 of 6009, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2023-10-11, 19:16:

In fact, if I remeber I read on other threads that both Unreal and Half-Life were heavy for the hardware of the time.

Unreal Engine 1.x was very inefficient at a lot of things and thrashed VRAM quite a lot. I have to take a lot of considerations when I make custom content so I don't end up with areas that run at 10 FPS for extremely stupid reasons. (that or outright crash the engine entirely because Tim Sweeny couldn't "gracefully handle" a lot of problem edge cases and found it simpler to just say "General Protection Fault!" everytime...)

― Κυνικός Δράκων