Common searches

Game Clichés Done To Death

Topic actions

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ever wondered why they do something again and again and again? And again?

Sometimes, it's kinda lame and sometimes, just no words to describe.

Here are some :

1. Beginning a FPS (First Person Shooter) with a ..... crowbar. Or a wrench. Or a lead pipe? *Sigh*... Blame it on Half-Life?

2. Ever wondered why console RPGs begin with the protaganist sleeping and being woken up? They always begin by someone waking them up. For example, Chrono Trigger (SNES), Golden Sun (GBA), and countless others.

3. Of course, the ever persistent, "get key A to open door A, where you will find key B to open door B, where you will find key C to open door C where the end-the-level lever can be found" mantra.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 20, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3. Of course, the ever persistent, "get key A to open door A, where you will find key B to open door B, where you will find key C to open door C where the end-the-level lever can be found" mantra.

Most games have always been about Fetch. This hardly ever changes whether its a items, keys, kills...etc.

-I'd say most of todays FPS games trying to be too realistic murder simulators.
-Yearly releases with minor changes/updates to weapons, roster changes, new car models...
-Almost any first party nintendo game 😉

But but it prints money COD 5,6,7.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 2 of 20, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

1. Beginning a FPS (First Person Shooter) with a ..... crowbar.

Hehe, in Redneck Rampage... well, ya know... you gotaa whack ole' Bubba with sumthin' 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 20, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Hehe, in Redneck Rampage... well, ya know... you gotaa whack ole' Bubba with sumthin' 🤣!

Lemme guess, whacking him for getting drunk without you? 😉

Reply 4 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

1. Beginning a FPS (First Person Shooter) with a ..... crowbar. Or a wrench. Or a lead pipe? *Sigh*... Blame it on Half-Life?

Half-Life was pretty popular so yeah, they're probably most to blame. System Shock had a lead pipe as your starting weapon long beforehand, but System Shock sold poorly despite its awesomeness.

Thankfully, some games give you a decent starting/backup weapon.

Malik wrote:

2. Ever wondered why console RPGs begin with the protaganist sleeping and being woken up? They always begin by someone waking them up. For example, Chrono Trigger (SNES), Golden Sun (GBA), and countless others.

I'd say only about a third of the RPGs out there on consoles start this way. Here's some exceptions:

Dragon Quest II: Starts with a king being slaughtered and a castle being razed. Protagonist is in the throne room of another castle when the news is delivered.
Final Fantasy IV: Starts with an airship battle. The airship is captained by the protagonist.
Final Fantasy VI: Starts with a raid on a mountain town, the protagonist being under mind control.
Secret of Mana: Starts with the protagonist falling off a bridge and finding a sword.
Final Fantasy X-2: Starts with a dance number, the protagonists crashing in on it.
Phantasy Star III: Starts with the protagonist going to his wedding.
Sword of Vermilion: Starts with the protagonist learning who his real father is.

I could go on. ;)

Malik wrote:

I've noted most of the best RPGs don't follow this formula strictly and only adhere to it when necessary for the sake of the story, allowing the player the freedom to take on side quests as desired.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
Malik wrote:

I've noted most of the best RPGs don't follow this formula strictly and only adhere to it when necessary for the sake of the story, allowing the player the freedom to take on side quests as desired.

Oh, sorry, I meant this sequence in FPS games - DOOM et al.

Reply 6 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:
Malik wrote:

Oh, sorry, I meant this sequence in FPS games - DOOM et al.

Oh...

...yeah, that happens way too much in FPS games. XD

Admittedly, the moment you break from that formula with an FPS, (and we're not just talking keys here but any items/interactions needed to progress beyond some barrier in your progress), you start straying into adventure/RPG territory and need to greatly rethink what kind of game you're trying to make. :P

...unless you go the mission-based route, as opposed to running a continuous story. Then you need to get very creative on your objectives or risk creating a game that's way too repetative.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 20, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Lemme guess, whacking him for getting drunk without you? 😉

Hehe, I never thought about that... they SHOULD give you extra points for that 🤣!

That being said, in each and every level you have to go out and search for Bubba. When you finally find him, you whack him with your crowbar, which then advances you to the next level/map <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 11 of 20, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FPS Clichè;

It's not difficult/scary enough! Lets spawn monsters randomly!

"WTF? Where did that thing come from? I just went through that area, there's no way I missed one!"

😁

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 13 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An action-RPG having a tendency to include a desert environment (usually in the second act). Maybe it's cool (hot?) to include it?

Reply 15 of 20, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amnesia is a cliche that is overdone. I can't remember how many games I have played where I started with no recollection of who I was or where I had come from.

Reply 16 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if it's a totally open source game to begin with, then it's unbearably shitty.

i've yet to see a game that isn't. When I try, I get complaints that it's too retro looking or not normal mapped - which is a lot of entitlement from one fucking person's spare time.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 20, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xian97 wrote:

Amnesia is a cliche that is overdone. I can't remember how many games I have played where I started with no recollection of who I was or where I had come from.

Headhunter for Dreamcast. 😁 Probably my favourite "I don't know who i am" game.

Reply 18 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the *compulsory* crates in FPS games. And tin barrels too.

I was replaying Terminator Future Shock last night. And I reached the (drum rolls, please)..... sewers.....again. I cringed, but moved on. Still in the sewers though, when I stopped playing last night. Sigh. In addition to the presence of boxes and crates in this game too. Somehow, I'm inclined to whack them with the ...(drum rolls again, please).... iron pipe!!..... since these boxes contain hidden ammos.

And, oh, the rats in RPG games. They seem to be the welcoming committee members in the RPGs.